Daniel Mari strings

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
zupfgeiger

Re: Daniel Mari strings

Post by zupfgeiger » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:52 am

Thanks for the recommendation, Peter. That's exactly the bass strings Mrs. Enders just sent to me. Very curious to test them with my new Tobias Braun Manuel Ramirez maple guitar which I will pick up in Austria today...
Fritz Ober, Torres/Hauser model, 2010, spruce/maple
Giovanni Tacchi, Bouchet model, spruce/BRAZ, 2018

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:58 am

zupfgeiger wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:52 am
Thanks for the recommendation, Peter. That's exactly the bass strings Mrs. Enders just sent to me. Very curious to test them with my new Tobias Braun Manuel Ramirez maple guitar which I will pick up in Austria today...
Do tell us about that guitar and post photos... :wink:

bauersachs82

Post by bauersachs82 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:27 pm

petermc61 wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:23 pm
zupfgeiger wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:26 pm
I have been playing a set of Mari strings on my Tacchi Friederich for a while now and love the trebles. Excellent sounding nylon strings. The basses are not my cup of tea. Quite dull and less brilliant than my regular Savarez Corum.
Yes, the trebles are absolutely lovely. Try pairing them with the Cantiga NT. That’s a fantastic combination.
I finally tried this combination and so far am loving them. I am using an Oasis Carbon G though. I have tried the Cantiga Creations and I have tried the Mari set on their own and nothing about either sets jumped out at me until I mixed them. I think I'm going to settle down on trying different strings for a while because I'm enjoying how they feel and sound so much.

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:36 am

I followed Peter's advice and put Savarez Cantiga with Mari trebles on my new Tobias Braun guitar, a 1912 Manuel Ramirez copy with maple b & s. Excellent combo which very much suits the traditional sweet and lyrical sound character of this guitar. Mari's h string is particularly impressive with a strong and distinctive tone. e and h offer a huge range of tone modulation possibilities. As far as g is concerned I stick to Knobloch carbon. Yesterday the neighbour of our holiday apartment in Saas Fee/Switzerland praised the sweet sound of my guitar she is hearing in the evenings.
Fritz Ober, Torres/Hauser model, 2010, spruce/maple
Giovanni Tacchi, Bouchet model, spruce/BRAZ, 2018

Kintla

Post by Kintla » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:15 pm

Awesome Zupfgeiger! Have heard much about Tobias, so many great makers out there. I am finding that I like Augustine Imperials very much, just a tad less bright than Mari. Nice to have choices. Savarez Cantiga's are great bass strings!

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:40 pm

Kintla wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:15 pm
Awesome Zupfgeiger! Have heard much about Tobias, so many great makers out there. I am finding that I like Augustine Imperials very much, just a tad less bright than Mari. Nice to have choices. Savarez Cantiga's are great bass strings!
Yes, the Imperials with Cantiga are an excellent combination too. If you use the Mari trebles you can use all three treble strings. With the Imperials matched to Cantiga I find a Knobloch medium carbon G integrates the set better overall in place of the Imperial G. Just a suggestion if you have not tried that yet.

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:41 pm

By sheer luck and timing I acquired several sets of Mari 100’s trebles. I did a string change three days ago pairing the Nari trebles with Hauser NT Basses. I’m impressed with the clarity of the Mari trebles and how they feel. The G string is quite clear to my ear (some have commented that they substituted a knobloch carbon G for the Mari) and that makes me happy as I prefer nylon. The trebles on my Brune cedar top are already sweet and clear, but The Mari trebles have added yet another dimension.
I’m glad I’ve had the opportunity to experience what so many of you have raved about!!
Richard Brune 'Artist' Cedar/Brazilian 1996

Dartez82

Post by Dartez82 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:43 pm

I have used the Mari 200ph trebles for the last couple of weeks. They are very nice trebles on my Cervantes Milenia. However, after two weeks, approximately 30 hours of playing the string have developed a stickier texture for my right hand and a little swoosh sound, kind of like rectified strings. Has anyone else had this experience? The strings still sound great but the feel has changed. It seems like there was a coating on the strings, but now its gone.

Christopher Langley
Student of the online lessons

Post by Christopher Langley » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:14 pm

Dartez82 wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:43 pm
I have used the Mari 200ph trebles for the last couple of weeks. They are very nice trebles on my Cervantes Milenia. However, after two weeks, approximately 30 hours of playing the string have developed a stickier texture for my right hand and a little swoosh sound, kind of like rectified strings. Has anyone else had this experience? The strings still sound great but the feel has changed. It seems like there was a coating on the strings, but now its gone.
all clear nylons that I've ever played get scratchy eventually, it's a good way to know when it's time for a change of strings.

I'm really enjoying the mari 100p on my cordoba. Wish they were easier to come by.
Cordoba CP110
https://youtu.be/AJsinZ8LLhE

Dave Stott

Post by Dave Stott » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:55 pm

when I tried them, I didn't have any issues with availability.. I ordered them and they arrived within 5-7 business days

For whatever reason, my left hand fingers didn't like the feel of the Mari's. I've tried several different Mari tensions & had the same issue. I'm not sure if it was tension or hardness related. My fingers hurt within 20-30 minutes of playing.

The only other times I've experienced that is when I tried hard / high tension trebles.

Had a similar experience with Oasis Carbon GPX High tension trebles, but I can play Savarez Alliance High Tension trebles with no issues.
2015 Cordoba GK Pro Negra
2017 Cordoba C-10 Cedar
2003 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe

Dartez82

Post by Dartez82 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:44 pm

I made the mistake of ordering 6 sets of 200ph trebles from Ostrie. Two weeks, no strings, no response to my emails.

Scott Phillips

Post by Scott Phillips » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:56 am

I just got an email from Mr. Ostrie today. He has the Mari trebles that I ordered back in stock. Said he was shipping them out. Apparently there were issues with the factory being able to fill the orders and ship out product. If it’s been two weeks shoot him another email. He will get back to you eventually. I waited for months for my order because the factory simply couldn’t fill the orders.

Dartez82

Post by Dartez82 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:56 pm

Mr. Ostrie emailed me yesterday shortly after my post giving me status of my order. They had already been shipped and I received them today. I'm just happy I have them now and I'll continue to order from Mr. Ostrie in the future.

jscott

Post by jscott » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:40 pm

there have been a fair number of reports on this site about Mari strings being late to ship, as well as unanswered emails. As far as I know, everyone has also always reported receiving their order. I've had delayed fulfillment a few times as well. I just factor that into my ordering schedule. I've always received my orders.

quin

Post by quin » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:08 pm

After reading so much praise for Mari strings, I ordered a set of mediums and they recently arrived. I am posting this to add a contrairian view: on this guitar they are thoroughly disappointing.
I have been testing strings on my new (to me) Ruck and have clearly settled on LaBella 2001 Medium Hard. I tried EJ45, Ej45tt, Cantiga Cristal, imperial Black, Classic Red, 520 red card, Hannabach 815sl, and Alliance medium.

Of those only the EJ45 set was a serious contender though the LaBella 2001 MH was the clear winner. But now I have put on the Mari and man was I shocked. These are the deadest, most uninspiring strings yet. Everything about them was bested by every other string I tried in all categories. Usually I would wait two weeks to let them develop but these are so “unspecial”
that I could not bear to start hating my new guitar for the two weeks it might take. Back to the 2001 MH. Same family, vastly different strings. Of course this applies only to my specific experience.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”