Strings - What are your favorites?

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Re: Strings - What are your favorites?

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:05 pm

D'addario Pro-arte J46 basses with Pyramid flurocarbon trebles (G3 and H2), and I prefer E1 augustin regal - very nice combination!

JLV

Post by JLV » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:31 pm

On a december 2017 Dominique Field, I use Cantina premium and Alliance blue. (Hard tension with "carbon" trebles)

Before the Cantiga premiums were the Cantiga, then before the Corum on several different guitars with always the same Alliance blue trebles (Jean-Noël Rohé 2016, Field 1990, Friedrich 1980 cedar and 1972 spruce)

Every time I tried other sets or brands, they last less than an hour on my guitar.

I love the feel, precision, sustain, capacity to sound good pianissimo and fortissimo.
Friederich's guitars addict

JLV

Post by JLV » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:32 pm

Cantiga of course and not Cantina (thanks to the automatic corrector..)
Friederich's guitars addict

Leo

Post by Leo » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:42 am

epcritmo wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:48 pm
Leo wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:50 pm
epcritmo wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:17 am
Currently I am very fond of the Aquila Rubino set.
Me too, but I will probably order the Martin Magnifico when I am low on strings, to see if they are any different.
I haven't seen anywhere selling them in Spain or the continent. I look forward to hearing your opinion on the comparison.
It will be a while before I try them, I have a years supply of strings right now. Strings and Beyond has them.
2012 Hippner, Spruce-birdseye maple
1985 Takamine C-132S
2002 Casa Montalvo, Spruce, Ziricote

Flapjack

Post by Flapjack » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:17 pm

My technique continues to evolve to the extent that I am not sure my impressions of various strings I have tried over the past few years mean much to me anymore. I suppose that, if pressed, I would say that EJ45C bass and Augustine Classic treble strings are my favorites.

bogdan

Post by bogdan » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:11 am

It depends on the guitar.
In general, the basses I like most are either Savarez Cristal (570CR) or D'Addario EXP45, and the trebles - Savarez New Cristal (e.g., 500CR).

rwe

Post by rwe » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:39 am

bogdan wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:11 am
It depends on the guitar.
Same. - My current favorites are Optima HT 6, Carbon, HT, that I use on a heavily built Krempel (1982, double rims, s/rw) and on an old Tama.

But I continue testing strings, switching between the Optima as reference and other types/ brands.

StuMayes

Post by StuMayes » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:36 pm

Currently my favourites are Aquila Alabastro basses (medium tension) matched with Aquila Rubino trebles.

I gave up guitar in disgust for about six years as I just couldn't get a good tone with any nylons, Hannabachs, Savarez, you name it, tried it, always that horrid 'plunk' sound from the G and 'muddy' timbre generally. I put it down largely to my poor technique, but after my daughter wanted a yuke for christmas & and it came with Aquila strings, that got me thinking......so dug out my guitar and bought some Aquilos, the sound was a revelation & no more 'plunk'.

Found my brand, revitalized my playing & I don't think I'll be changing again!

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:41 am

Right now I can't say a favorite string, but I can say a favorite brand, Aquila. Their strings are all different and each have their own sound and character. I'm bouncing around trying all of them to see which I'll like best. Alabastro's on now, going to try Cristallo's again which I liked, and have yet to try the Ambra's and Perla's.
Amalio Burguet 1A Spruce
Takamine C-132S

Mike Steede

Post by Mike Steede » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:48 am

ameriken wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:41 am
Right now I can't say a favorite string, but I can say a favorite brand, Aquila. Their strings are all different and each have their own sound and character. I'm bouncing around trying all of them to see which I'll like best. Alabastro's on now, going to try Cristallo's again which I liked, and have yet to try the Ambra's and Perla's.
I liked the Ambra 800 82c on my smaller spruce top guitar - they gave it the 'old world sound' reminiscent of a lute. Very cool when playing Dowland. It's been a couple of string changes since but I have another set in the cupboard and going to put them on again next time.
2018 Steve Ganz 'Chulo' IR/Cedar DT
2017 Steve Ganz 'New Moon' BRW/Spruce
1991 Patrick Olmsted/Steve Ganz re-top 2017 '37 Hauser BRW/Spruce

Leo

Post by Leo » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:04 am

ameriken wrote:
My favorite brand too, the Rubino and Alchemia are also very interesting Aquila strings, and two of my favorites.
2012 Hippner, Spruce-birdseye maple
1985 Takamine C-132S
2002 Casa Montalvo, Spruce, Ziricote

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:10 am

Mike Steede wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:48 am
ameriken wrote:
I liked the Ambra 800 82c on my smaller spruce top guitar - they gave it the 'old world sound' reminiscent of a lute. Very cool when playing Dowland. It's been a couple of string changes since but I have another set in the cupboard and going to put them on again next time.
Nice, I hope the Ambra 2000's are just as good!
Amalio Burguet 1A Spruce
Takamine C-132S

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:11 am

Leo wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:04 am
ameriken wrote:
My favorite brand too, the Rubino and Alchemia are also very interesting Aquila strings, and two of my favorites.
The Rubino's are awesome strings. I have yet to try the Alchemia's, just don't understand why SBM doesn't carry them.
Amalio Burguet 1A Spruce
Takamine C-132S

Dave Stott

Post by Dave Stott » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:29 pm

Savarez Cantiga normal tension strings paired with Oasis GPX normal carbon trebles.
2015 Cordoba GK Pro Negra
2017 Cordoba C-10 Cedar
2003 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe

AaronJS

Post by AaronJS » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:54 am

I used to use the D'Addario strings, but I've had bad luck with them recently. I use Augustine right now and find that they are louder, last longer, and just sound better overall.
"Beauty addresses itself chiefly to sight; but there is a beauty for the hearing too, as in certain combinations of words and in all kinds of music..." -Plotinus

My guitar: Yamaha NCX1200R

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”