Strings - What are your favorites?

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
joachim33

Re: Strings - What are your favorites?

Post by joachim33 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:59 am

AaronJS wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:54 am
I used to use the D'Addario strings, but I've had bad luck with them recently. I use Augustine right now and find that they are louder, last longer, and just sound better overall.
What does bad luck mean? D’Addario have a reputation for being ultra-reliable.

AaronJS

Post by AaronJS » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:07 am

joachim33 wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:59 am
AaronJS wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:54 am
I used to use the D'Addario strings, but I've had bad luck with them recently. I use Augustine right now and find that they are louder, last longer, and just sound better overall.
What does bad luck mean? D’Addario have a reputation for being ultra-reliable.
I had a couple of sets where the E string snapped while putting it on, one where the A string unwound itself after a few weeks, one where the intonation on a couple strings was bad. All of this within the span of six months or so. That was enough to get me to change!
"Beauty addresses itself chiefly to sight; but there is a beauty for the hearing too, as in certain combinations of words and in all kinds of music..." -Plotinus

My guitar: Yamaha NCX1200R

paskin

Post by paskin » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:02 pm

D'Addario EJ45FF (Pro-Arté Carbon, Dynacore Basses, Normal Tension). Their trebles are singing and have great sustain, and the basses are nice and clear and round. I use them on a cedar and a spruce. Last week I ran out of them and put a set of nylons on, and I realized I can't use nylons any more --- I'm so addicted to my EJ45FFs --- so gave away all my spare strings and stocked up on EJ45FF.

Dennis Rebbe

Post by Dennis Rebbe » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:19 am

Lately, I use the Savarez Cantiga in normal tension. I am very happy with them. Before I used Hannabach, which have been very good too. Is someone using the La Bella Romero strings? I would be interested to know about your experiences. I am thinking about trying these next.

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:42 pm

Hauser strings; mixed set with MT trebles and HT Basses. The MT trebles feel more like Normal Tension and the HT Basses feel more like Medium tension. They are clear, yet warm. And they are moderately priced.
Pyramid is also hard to beat but more expensive than the Hauser strings.
Richard Brune 'Artist' Cedar/Brazilian 1996

Christopher Langley
Student of the online lessons

Post by Christopher Langley » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:12 pm

AaronJS wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:07 am

I used to use the D'Addario strings, but I've had bad luck with them recently.

I had a couple of sets where the E string snapped while putting it on, one where the A string unwound itself after a few weeks, one where the intonation on a couple strings was bad. All of this within the span of six months or so. That was enough to get me to change!
Are you sure they were legitimate d'addario?

It sounds to me that you could have gotten hold of some counterfeits.

D'addario is known for their notorious quality control and for standing my their products.
Why is the bed never made?

AaronJS

Post by AaronJS » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:22 pm

Christopher Langley wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:12 pm
AaronJS wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:07 am

I used to use the D'Addario strings, but I've had bad luck with them recently.

Are you sure they were legitimate d'addario?

It sounds to me that you could have gotten hold of some counterfeits.

D'addario is known for their notorious quality control and for standing my their products.
That may be. I did get them from Amazon... Nonetheless, I've come to prefer Augustine, anyway. Maybe I'll try D'Addario again someday, but I'll be sure to get them from an actual store!
"Beauty addresses itself chiefly to sight; but there is a beauty for the hearing too, as in certain combinations of words and in all kinds of music..." -Plotinus

My guitar: Yamaha NCX1200R

GMR

Post by GMR » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:26 am

I am really enjoying the Martin Magnifico medium strings. I have not tried the hard tension Magnificos since the mediums are of a tension that is higher than most strings and I’m a little concerned on the tension of the hard tension Magnificos.
Garland

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:17 am

Good old D'addario EJ45 for me, most of the time, even though the g-string sounds rather dull on some guitars. Other than that La Bella 2001 - Medium or Medium/Hard tension and sometimes Savarez Cantiga Creation 510MR.

/J
Feel free to ask me anything about Japanese classical guitars.

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:58 am

rinneby wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:17 am
Good old D'addario EJ45 for me, most of the time, even though the g-string sounds rather dull on some guitars. Other than that La Bella 2001 - Medium or Medium/Hard tension and sometimes Savarez Cantiga Creation 510MR.

/J
Hi Jon,

I recently changed one of my guitars from Savarez 510MR to LaBella 2001MHT. Despite the published tension values for the LaBella, in particular the trebles being lower than for Savarez, I had the impression my left hand needs to work harder on the LaBella than the Savarez. I put it down to string elasticity. I have discussed this in detail in a different thread.

Did you ever experience the same, on some instruments or not at all. You like to share a comment?

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:03 am

joachim33 wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:58 am
rinneby wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:17 am

/J
Hi Jon,

I recently changed one of my guitars from Savarez 510MR to LaBella 2001MHT. Despite the published tension values for the LaBella, in particular the trebles being lower than for Savarez, I had the impression my left hand needs to work harder on the LaBella than the Savarez. I put it down to string elasticity. I have discussed this in detail in a different thread.

Did you ever experience the same, on some instruments or not at all. You like to share a comment?
I have not noticed this. However, what you might experience is that the Savarez strings are actually a little "thinner" especially the g-string. Maybe you like this better? :)

/Jon
Feel free to ask me anything about Japanese classical guitars.

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:09 pm

rinneby wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:03 am

I have not noticed this. However, what you might experience is that the Savarez strings are actually a little "thinner" especially the g-string. Maybe you like this better? :)

/Jon
Hi Jon

Thanks for the reply. I doubt it is the diameter. At the time I was practising a piece with a number of half Barré and felt I needed to press harder with the LaBella than the Savarez. It could well be a peculiarity of the guitar in question. I perceive as very stiff - e.g. the neck is hardwood laminated and in comparison to my other guitar, it is very stiff and shows little flexibility.

Best wishes
Joachim

nmshu1

Post by nmshu1 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:06 am

If you have one guitar only, maybe it is simple to answer. When I had one guitar 30 years ago, I preferred to both D'Addario and La Bella.
Now I use many kinds of strings based on the Luthier's suggestion and my preference.
Last edited by nmshu1 on Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:13 am, edited 5 times in total.
Otto Vowinkel Concert | Paulino Bernabe Torres | Juan Hernandez Torres | German V. Rubio Concert | Kenny Hill Performance

Guitarhancock

Post by Guitarhancock » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:44 am

LaBella lights. After MANY trials !.These are the ones. Light weight spruce and a heavy cedar.
Clearest tone easiest playability.

These are the only strings I buy.

astro64

Post by astro64 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:23 am

Guitarhancock wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:44 am
LaBella lights. After MANY trials !.These are the ones. Light weight spruce and a heavy cedar.
Clearest tone easiest playability.

These are the only strings I buy.
2001's?

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”