String Tie - Ties your guitar strings?

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
fast eddie

Re: String Tie - Ties your guitar strings?

Post by fast eddie » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:43 pm

Bought these for $18.90 for each of my two guitars. Have had no problems.
https://www.rosetteguitarproducts.com
Fast Eddie
Cordoba C 10 Spruce
Cordoba C 10 Cedar
1974 Hernandis

fast eddie

Post by fast eddie » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:11 am

Bought these tie blocks fro Rosette Guitar Products. Cost vary from about $15 to $22. Very happy with my purchase. I have found that Rosette is somewhat cheaper than Amazon.
Fast Eddie
Cordoba C 10 Spruce
Cordoba C 10 Cedar
1974 Hernandis

brian

Post by brian » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:57 am

tie block on my guitar isn't tall
enough to used these.
that possibility never even
entered my mind. oh well.... 8)
if at first you don't succeed, try, try again.
then quit.
there's no use being a damn fool about it.
-w.c. fields

nmshu1

Post by nmshu1 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:19 am

pima1234 wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:05 pm
I have two different sets from SBM. So far, I like it. I feel more secure, better than a 12-hole tie block, because I don't have to melt the end of the trebles.
I have one set of Mahogany and another set of bone purchased from SBM.
When I use them, I feel a little bit easy to play.
Otto Vowinkel Concert, German V. Rubio Concert, Paulino Bernabe Torres

amezcua

Post by amezcua » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:23 pm

Let`s discuss the mechanics of the attachment of strings to a bridge . If the string break angle is maximised by not having a loop pulling upwards on the string behind the bridge ---so what ? The angle formed at the bridge top is equalled by the angle formed by the opposite end turning into the horizontal hole in the tie block .One cancels the other out . If you think of the vertical pressure at the bridge bone you may be drifting into thinking like a violin maker who wants the bridge to pump the top up and down . If you change to a metal block construction and want to produce an alternating rotating force with a spanner on a solid metal "bridge " welded to a metal plate would you prefer to use the spanner on a thinner strip at the front end or fit the spanner over the whole block ? So maybe the strings could just as easily operate by fitting the string directly over the tie block and coming up in the opposite direction . Then the string is honestly attempting to rotate the whole bridge . Slightly missing the topic but worth a try anyway . Subjective impressions would be less valuable than scientific comparisons .

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:13 am

amezcua wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:23 pm
Subjective impressions would be less valuable than scientific comparisons .
I disagree...if a careful evaluation of the playing action, i.e., the right hand feel with respect to finger resistance to a stroke and the return of the string to neutral position is made, a player can decide individually on the benefits (if any) and effect of using string ties on a particular instrument. In this case, an N=1 comparison (subjective comparisons to a baseline) is most likely to be more valuable. Personally, I have not been able to attribute sonic changes as originating so much from the string, saddle, tie-block break angle ( as these might influence the sound of the instrument) rather, the changes have to do with the effect of the string tie "break angle" on my playing action, as in to do with the string vibration response and security of right hand feel. This is only of course true for me on my instruments. Others may have completely opposite results. Changing the break angle by altering the saddle/bridge configuration can be assessed in a similar fashion (though more time consuming), but again I think that an individual, N=1 approach is most likely to be more valuable.
1971 Yamaha GC-10 (Hideyuki Ezaki)
2017 Yamaha GC82S (Akio Naniki/Naohiro Kawashima)

amezcua

Post by amezcua » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:57 pm

One thought ocurred to me about guitar bridges. Can we regard the bridge , ( that`s the whole thing including the bone and tie block ) as a black box and whatever happens between the tip on the bone and the surface glued to the top is of no interest to a guitar . It`s all one thing and which way up or down the strings run or whatever angles ,makes little difference .

fast eddie

Post by fast eddie » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:31 am

I have used these (different brand) from Rosette Guitar Products. The only drawback I have found is if a string breaks with one of these in place, good luck finding it.
Fast Eddie
Cordoba C 10 Spruce
Cordoba C 10 Cedar
1974 Hernandis

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:46 pm

Here is a simple design a user came up with long before diamond made a low profile version. I used the same design but used bone. I sliced pieces from an extra nut blank that I paid a few dollars for. Quite easy to make if you have a small drill press or dremmel tool (with table mount). Much lower profile than any I’ve seen yet.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=72654&hilit=String+beads
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

fast eddie

Post by fast eddie » Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:34 am

One negative to the tie blocks is if a string breaks, good luck in finding the tie-block.
Fast Eddie
Cordoba C 10 Spruce
Cordoba C 10 Cedar
1974 Hernandis

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:20 pm

fast eddie wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:34 am
One negative to the tie blocks is if a string breaks, good luck in finding the tie-block.
I believe you mean: in finding the string tie... :wink:
1971 Yamaha GC-10 (Hideyuki Ezaki)
2017 Yamaha GC82S (Akio Naniki/Naohiro Kawashima)

joshua18

Post by joshua18 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:21 pm

hello i am wondering if the product here i bought few days ago is better than mine ? btw, i don't know the material of this string tie, plastic, galatite ? surely not made of bone...
https://www.rosetteguitarproducts.com/new-page

Mine is made of a bone's barette i cut in six parts, sanded and drilled with an electric little drill press for modelist. Here it is a picture of my strings ties in service since three years. My guitar sounds great with that.
I am wondering is the sound will be affected by the new material which compose the string tie from rosette.
Can you advise me?
:merci:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lexos

Post by Lexos » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:20 pm

I have been using these.... they are less conspicuous and work great.

https://www.string-plates.com/en/home_en.html

Bill-stl

Post by Bill-stl » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:36 am

I installed Diamond String ties and really like them. But I noticed that they were pressing on the top of the guitar. I couldn't slide a single sheet of paper between the string tie and the guitar top. Apparently the holes in the tie block are very low. I emailed Kent and he didn't think that was ideal and suggested I file the point down to have a gap, saying he would replace them if I had a problem. Of course, I overdid it, so he sent me a couple extra. I can't say I notice any difference in sound but I feel better not having them contact the top.
Esteve Fernandez Valencia

joshua18

Post by joshua18 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:09 pm

Lexos wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:20 pm
I have been using these.... they are less conspicuous and work great.

https://www.string-plates.com/en/home_en.html
thanks Lexos for the link, the shape is very simple :idea:

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”