MuseScore 3.0 released today

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
malc laney

Re: MuseScore 3.0 released today

Post by malc laney » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:53 pm

Is the guitar playback still an octave too high ? Have some of the samples changed i.e brass , and guitar ?

Hotsoup

Post by Hotsoup » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:05 pm

malc laney wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:53 pm
Is the guitar playback still an octave too high ? Have some of the samples changed i.e brass , and guitar ?
Are your scores in regular treble clef or are they set up for guitar (with the 8 underneath the clef)?

cadiz

Post by cadiz » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:21 pm

malc laney wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:53 pm
Is the guitar playback still an octave too highs ? Have some of the samples changed i.e brass , and guitar ?
An octave too high? Where, how?
Maybe a confusion about the choice between regular treble clef and treble clef 8-vb.
The "default" guitar in MuseScore is treble clef 8-vb. But you have the choice to switch to the regular treble clef if preferred.
You see that in the Wizard (image below): under the "All Instruments" tab, or simply by typing "guitar" in the search box under the instruments list: you see Classical Guitar: it's with treble clef 8-vb
Just under, you see: Guitar (Treble Clef), so with regular treble clef.

guitar.jpg
For samples, not sure what you mean: bass instead of brass maybe?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DaveLloyd

Post by DaveLloyd » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:57 pm

@cadiz — Thanks for the heads up!

Just installed v3.0, and having a play.
pogmoor wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:28 pm
I've been trying out the 'implode' function in MuseScore 3. It's much better than the same function in MuseScore 2 . . .
Strange! I never even knew that that feature existed! I'll definitely be having some fun with that!

cadiz

Post by cadiz » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:35 pm

Hotsoup wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:32 pm
I used to have a custom text style in Musescore 2 for offset fingering that would appear in the inspector drop down
Could you precise please what exact custom text you used with the 2.3.2 (in the Inspector drop down) ? Ie, change the fingering text style for what other style (and for some reasons?)

Hotsoup

Post by Hotsoup » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:50 pm

cadiz wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:35 pm
Hotsoup wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:32 pm
I used to have a custom text style in Musescore 2 for offset fingering that would appear in the inspector drop down
Could you precise please what exact custom text you used with the 2.3.2 (in the Inspector drop down) ? Ie, change the fingering text style for what other style (and for some reasons?)
Sure, the offset left hand fingering that I mentioned above is probably the one I used the most. When I wanted fingering just above the note (and not to the left, or above the beam) I used this:
Capture2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

malc laney

Post by malc laney » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:05 pm

Silly me , thanks Hotsoup ! i'm not keen on the cornet sound though.

cadiz

Post by cadiz » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:22 pm

malc laney wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:05 pm
i'm not keen on the cornet sound though
Sorry, what do you mean?

malc laney

Post by malc laney » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:39 pm

It is not a warm sound even in the lower register

cadiz

Post by cadiz » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:04 pm

Please, explain clearly the things. Do you mean about soundfont? If so, you can change easily by downloading another soundfont if you prefer. There is a some choice here
For my own, I discovered there is a few weeks a specific guitar soundfont (Acoustic Guitars JNv2.4), here, first third of the page approximately. I am pretty happy with it.

malc laney

Post by malc laney » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:14 pm

thanks malc

CarbonElitist

Post by CarbonElitist » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:38 am

Hotsoup wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:50 pm
I'm an idiot. I was scrolling down this page, saw your post, then spent about 2 whole seconds trying to close that window.
"If at first you don't succeed, don't go skydiving."
"When I want expert advice, I look at the comment sections on DIY videos."

Hotsoup

Post by Hotsoup » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:42 am

CarbonElitist wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:38 am
I'm an idiot. I was scrolling down this page, saw your post, then spent about 2 whole seconds trying to close that window.
What's even worse is when you do that on your own screenshots. :lol:

cadiz

Post by cadiz » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:53 am

Hotsoup wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:50 pm
the offset left hand fingering that I mentioned above is probably the one I used the most. When I wanted fingering just above the note (and not to the left, or above the beam) I used this
On your image, I notice that you have created a modified LH style. Do you know that you didn't have inevitably to do this with the 2.3.2, but simply by changing the default settings (ie, -0.50 / 0.00 to your 0,90/-1,20), and save the score as a Template?

And with each new score, you never have to change fingering via the Inspector and your custom style, since it already is.
Unless you prefer to have both possible settings available (the default one, and yours custom?)

For the moment, with 3.0, you cannot create a custom style for fingering (in Style / Text Styles / User-1 etc.) I do not want to predict the future too quickly, but I think that this could be restored. As already said, these text Styles have been deeply reworked, and this will continue to evolve over the next few updates.

In addition, currently, the program doesn't distinguish between the first set of numbers in the palette, and the second set. This will quickly be reviewed too.
But meanwhile it's tempting to see how automatic placement works in Style / Text styles / LH fingering. When you change the settings, you see the fingerings move live (in real time) on your score.

Hotsoup

Post by Hotsoup » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:02 pm

cadiz wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:53 am
On your image, I notice that you have created a modified LH style. Do you know that you didn't have inevitably to do this with the 2.3.2, but simply by changing the default settings (ie, -0.50 / 0.00 to your 0,90/-1,20), and save the score as a Template?

And with each new score, you never have to change fingering via the Inspector and your custom style, since it already is.
Unless you prefer to have both possible settings available (the default one, and yours custom?)
Yes, I wanted to keep the default fingering styles and leave them "intact", simply adding my new style preference to the list of choices. I think I understood at the time that I could have done it the way you suggest, but chose not to. In 3.0, that option seems to have been removed, so I'm trying to understand what the program would rather have me do.
cadiz wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:53 am
For the moment, with 3.0, you cannot create a custom style for fingering (in Style / Text Styles / User-1 etc.) I do not want to predict the future too quickly, but I think that this could be restored. As already said, these text Styles have been deeply reworked, and this will continue to evolve over the next few updates.

In addition, currently, the program doesn't distinguish between the first set of numbers in the palette, and the second set. This will quickly be reviewed too.
But meanwhile it's tempting to see how automatic placement works in Style / Text styles / LH fingering. When you change the settings, you see the fingerings move live (in real time) on your score.
I'll have to play with this for a while. I'm kind of obsessive when it comes to placement, so putting that trust in the software isn't natural for me. I'll try to relax... :casque:

Return to “The Café”