ernandez Mk-II The neck et al

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
ernandez R

ernandez Mk-II The neck et al

Post by ernandez R » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:24 pm

ernandez Mk-II The new neck.

Made my way out to the shop last night with a rough sketch on a note card, a block of birch I had liberated from a well seasoned five year old piece of fire wood, and a $14.00 set of machine tuners.

Up I'm the attic of my shop the previous owner had stored a stack of rough cut hickory and white poplar full log width bark on about an inch thick. While I was digging around there were tucked in the eves three eight foot long shipping pallet legs of oak with some amazing figuring: burl and muddular rays. I sliced up some of the oak for finger boards and head stock viner to match.

I've tooled up to rip some birtch for back and side wood but this will need a year at the least to season. And still waiting for the spruce rounds a budy says he has been drying for about eight years with fingers crossed, the local species is called Black Spruce, for top wood.

My goal is to use local woods throughout for all the usual reasons.

Anyway, popped out to the shop and started turning big pieces of wood into little pieces of wood. I tried to do as many things wrong as posable and was only successful at one: I ended up with the nut side of the fingerboard 1/8 too narrow while running it through the table saw after gluing it to the neck wood. I did try to glue the head stock on top of the neck wood and was clamping it when I thought to myself that it looked odd. I didn't have a wide enough piece of head stock material so made a strip of hickory to run down the middle so at least that came out nice. In the end I think the whole head stock is too long and figure I will saw it off flush with the neck wood, trim the scarf back on the headstock and reglue; sounds easy doesn't it.

Without a plan it is fun just sticking all these parts together and watching them become a whole while really only fussing with the accuracy of the nut position in relation to the heal end of the neck where it abuts the side of the body even that is one of those +/- .040" 2mm kind of things. It's interesting reading about those building a string instrument from a set of plans verses haw I decided to go about it. In another life I repaired aircraft little ones and jumbo jets. One thing I learned early on was that one part had to be precisely in line with another but how you got there was not as critical. For example once the nut is affixed to the guitar body the only thing you need to worry about is getting the bridge where it belongs; all the wood in between can be wherever and however it needs to be; in fact it could be a rough branch and a hollowed out turtuse shell for all we care as long as we can tune it up and make music with it.

To be honest I am in awe of anyone who makes an exact copy of a Torres or Hauser, I might do so myself some day, but having my Mk-1 strung up friction pegs and all to play at will, I think I will keep playing my own tune.

I was in the music store the other day looking for a little metronome, machine heads and strings. I walked over and strummed the three classicals hanging on the wall. They sure sounded different and wished I had mine to compare side by side. The best sounding of the three I pulled down but trying to tune the low E the machine head was inoperative. I mentioned it to the shopkeeper but he was unconcerned; I'm guessing he knew already but just didn't care. He was the resident luthier...

My goal for today is to round up top wood by hook or crook. With me luck.

HR

ps. No joy with the foto attachment this morning. Seems to be hit or miss for me but not sure why?
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I hate sanding wood or anything else for that matter I just happen to be good at it...

ernandez R

Re: ernandez Mk-II The neck et al

Post by ernandez R » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:58 pm

Ha, photo worked at least it did on the previous post :/ not sure how. Anyway as the photo shows some details just take time, and a little blood. I had this long strip of fugired oak about .100" thick just barely half as wide as the headstock so I put the strip of contrasting birtch in there. It mirrors the strip of dark hickory in the middle of the birch head stock. A lot more work then just drilling tapered holes like I did on my Mk-I

I trued up the fretboard post neck glueing on a block of granit that I keep with a layer of stick on 80 grit. I draw a 1/2" 13mm crosshatch with pencil and sand until it goes away evenly paying attention to how much pressure I apply etc. I am keeping the neck untouched and in tapered until it is fretted so I have a flat bottom.

I found it super simple to cut fret slots with my band saw and wondering why that does not seem to be the norm. I cut a groove in a block then bring it around to the back side of the blade and clamp it to set the depth. The kerf I get with my nerrow wood blade comes out to .022/23 " Takes about a minute to cut them all if that.

after my lunch I'll cut slots and press it he frets, cut and glue the blocks for the base of the neck. Who knows I might split some side wood.
I hate sanding wood or anything else for that matter I just happen to be good at it...

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:22 am

Fretted the neck then a little polishing and then a coat of linseed oil cause I couldn't help myself.

Fretting went ten times better on my second neck. Used the drill press as a press to drive them in uniformly by first tapping the ends in place deep enough to prevent tipping. Took a fine flat file to the top of them afterwords, then I worked them on my granit serface table, really just a piece of scrap with a couple sheets of 6" round sticky paper, anterwords I used a 90 deg die grinder with a 2" sanding disk to tru up the sides flush and then bevel the ends accordingly. Final was a well worn sheet of 220 paper followed by 0000 steel wool for a nice satin polish.

Now I can add the block works for the neck joint, tip it upside down in a good clamp, and get busy with the sure form files sandpaper, and a good helping of elbow grease.

I'm guessing this whole neck weighs almost double my Mk-I neck :/... I really like the simplicity of the friction pegs, just not the tuneing fun, you know, when you bump one and it unwinds instantly and then the shock causes them all to unwind. Thought I was going to need a bag of ice when it happened to knock three of my knuckles hard enough to bruise. Fun times in the quest for our art ;)

Though I should add that the many examples I've seen here had inspired my to get a little fancy, almost too fancy for my tastes

HR
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:24 am

image.jpeg

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:25 am

image.jpeg

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:42 am

image.jpeg
Finished neck.

Cut up a small piece of birch form my fire wood pile into blocks, band saw, glue, file and sand. Knew it was going to be .125 short so,I added an end cap detail of oak burl with a strip of birch to,echo the headstock vanier.

Photo was too big so I mane it black and white...

HR

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:48 am

image.jpeg

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:49 am

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:51 am

Feel like I'm getting carried away... 🙃
image.jpeg

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:54 am

Had to dab a little linseed oil on it to see how it's going to look: vanity oh vanity...
image.jpeg

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:02 am

image.jpeg
Laying out back and side wood for the body it's some kind of aspin or white poplar. It's been I storage for about 30-40 years.

Should have made two matched bottoms and two pairs of matched sides but I buggered up,the sides one way and the backs another. Lucky it was the best pair of back wood but the least favorite of the sides. Win some and loose some...

I went ahead and rough sanded then glued up the bottom wood. I also tried up and trimmed the side wood so I can bend and get them in the form tomorrow.

Top wood still the bottleneck but wrapped up most my chores today so I hope to get out tomorrow to get some black spruce log ends a lacal harvested some time ago.

HR

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:04 am

I think I'll make a few guitars...
image.jpeg
Last edited by ernandez R on Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:07 am

image.jpeg
This one is going to be pretty. Taps nice with a good low ring!

HR

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:16 pm

image.jpeg
Bend up some side wood and made up all my sound bars, bracing, and other internal bits. I'll start glueing the body up in the am.

I had a chunk of spruce with a fine grain I had saved for sound bars and bracing but it seems it might be a little too dense. Might dig around and see if I can find some lighter spruce. Wondering if using the aspin I used on backache and sides for back sound bars might be better: larger cross section but less over all mass? My mind wanders into rocell/Carbon construction...

HR

MessyTendon
Amateur luthier

Post by MessyTendon » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:43 pm

looks great.

Return to “Luthiers”