Right hand technique: a new perspective

Under this heading you can announce your own events and work products, including the publications of books, magazines, sheet music, CDs, videos, guitars you build, professional events like shows, training courses, festivals and competitions. Any member of the forum who wishes, may open a thread in this forum (but only one) using his/her name for the promotion of their efforts without limitation on the number of posts.
Ortega

Re: Right hand technique: a new perspective

Post by Ortega » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:06 pm

Here the miracle starts to really come together:

Here I am exaggerating even more both of the crucial parameters that I have uncovered: "lightness and tightness, a symbiotic relationship" As described in this clip.

Exaggerating these parameters with respect to the a finger most of all in tremolo since that finger is the one that follows P:

Christopher Langley
Student of the online lessons

Post by Christopher Langley » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:20 pm

Ortega,

I believe it's been pointed out before but I must say the tremolo you are demonstrating has a very noticeable gallop.

Can you play a tremolo evenly? It might be something to work on before posting videos if you wish to be taken seriously. No one is going to apply advices from someone if they can't faithfully reproduce the desired sounds.

I think you need to slow down and play evenly, with a metronome in order to address this gallop.

Best of luck.

I know you could not play at all in the past. So it's really a miracle to you that you are playing, at all.. But to us we just hear uneveness. I am not trying to be overly critical. I just want to point the gallop out in case you are not hearing it or have become used to it.
Let there be songs to fill the air.

Ortega

Post by Ortega » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:51 pm

Ortega

Post by Ortega » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:52 pm

Here is the most important clip that I have ever made and the only one that really counts.

I will be responding to messages, comments and posts as soon as I get the chance:

Ortega

Post by Ortega » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:29 pm

99% now....

:)

Lawler

Post by Lawler » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:09 pm

Ortega wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:52 pm
Nice to hear your playing stepping away, for a moment, from tremolo technique in the first 40 seconds of the vid. Expressive, with a great tone.

Ortega

Post by Ortega » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:00 am

Nice to hear your playing stepping away, for a moment, from tremolo technique in the first 40 seconds of the vid. Expressive, with a great tone.
Thank you so much!

And FINALLY, here's win for the "delusional crackpot"!😀😀😀😀

(Past Youtube haters, lol!😀.

Honestly I can't blame them. I knew I was right, I simply couldn't prove it by demonstrating, after 37 years of playing wrong/ as taught!):

Christopher Langley
Student of the online lessons

Post by Christopher Langley » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:50 am

Am I the only one hearing a gallop? Something still seems a little off to me. But, I give you lots and lots of credit for continuing to work on it Ortega. It's not a ugly sound by any means.. Certainly better than I can do!

:bravo:
Let there be songs to fill the air.

Ortega

Post by Ortega » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:36 pm

Gallop now eradicated by abandonment of *a* finger "plant" (I was taught that this was necessary; that is false!) plus observance of all axioms of my original discovery:

Ortega

Post by Ortega » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:54 pm

It worked, my friends...it worked!

I thought to myself "I know that my discovery is correct but there is still as a gap between i and p...I wonder if I am firing my a finger too early, and I wonder if that might be due to the fact that I was taught to plant p and a on their strings simultaneously, prior to plucking each instance of p.

I dispensed with that "double plant" approach and here is the result:

Ortega

Post by Ortega » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:02 am

Ortega

Post by Ortega » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:27 am

Nick Cutroneo

Post by Nick Cutroneo » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:28 am

Ortega - I've been following this thread for quite some time, and just saw your two most recent videos. Congrats on figuring out that P and A do not place together in a tremolo. As you pointed out, if you are going to play tremolo on a single string this method doesn't work.

In reviewing the videos, and has been pointed out, there is a very noticeable gallop in the tremolo. The gap, however isn't between P and A but rather I and the return of P. The cool thing about having these videos up on youtube is that you can use youtube to slow down the video. In doing so, you can clearly hear the rhythm of your tremolo being a compression of 4 fast notes PAMI with a pause before the next P note. In addition, at that speed you can hear that the amount of compression you are doing rhythmically with the tremolo figure often includes a missing note in the tremolo (IE - sometimes I only hear 3 notes instead of 4). In a lot of your videos you express demonstrating something in an extreme way - perhaps practice a concept in an exaggerated fashion, but see if it holds up when you play without the exaggeration?

Just some thoughts, do with them as you wish.
Nick Cutroneo - Classical Guitarist, performer/teacher/suzuki instructor

Ortega

Post by Ortega » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:50 am

And now on the '66 Ramirez, ex Parkening:

Ortega

Post by Ortega » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:38 am

Ortega wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:27 am
I think this one is more even than the one on the Ramirez.

Yes, if we plant p and a simultaneously it causes the pattern to be lopsided which is why I end up with a gap between I and P, but that gap is getting smaller and smaller as you see in this example.

There's a very strong tendency for the a finger to want to plant because I was taught to do this and tried so hard to do it that way for so many years.

Also I was taught to play from the main joint and my discovery about the tip joint being the sole activator is the way.

Whatever flaws remain are due to 37 years of incorrect pedagogy and are now being corrected by myself.

Thank you for the feedback!

Return to “Members' Announcements”