Strings - What are your favorites?

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Guitarhancock

Re: Strings - What are your favorites?

Post by Guitarhancock » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:50 am

Yes. 2001's. Many posters seem to dismiss light strings. I understand. Ramon Amira suggested light strings several years ago and I gave them a try. He did not endorse a specific brand
but stated his reasons for using light strings. I had tried medium and hard strings including the Dogals, the various carbon and titanium etc, etc ,etc . About everything except the very expensive silver strings it came down to sweetness of tone and playabilty. LaBella 2001 lights for me.

Chuah Hui Hsien

Post by Chuah Hui Hsien » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:06 am

Hi, Christopher Langley,

I'm curious to find out from you how is the Savarez 520r feels like on your 620cm guitar. I like rectified nylon too, but this set feel floppy on my 64cm guitar, the trebles especially the 1st string sounds terrible on the upper frets.
I am not sure could it be my guitar's problem or the tension isn't right for it.
For my 65cm guitars, I always use D'Addario exp46. Not to say I like them a lot, but it is the availability and longevity that I found on them.

Hui Hsien
2017 Karel Dedain Spruce/Maple (Torres) 64cm
1998 Yamaha GD 10, Spruce/IRW 65cm
1988 Alhambra AL 8, Cedar/IRW 65cm

Christopher Langley
Student of the online lessons

Post by Christopher Langley » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:19 am

Chuah Hui Hsien wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:06 am
Hi, Christopher Langley,

I'm curious to find out from you how is the Savarez 520r feels like on your 620cm guitar. I like rectified nylon too, but this set feel floppy on my 64cm guitar, the trebles especially the 1st string sounds terrible on the upper frets.
I am not sure could it be my guitar's problem or the tension isn't right for it.
For my 65cm guitars, I always use D'Addario exp46. Not to say I like them a lot, but it is the availability and longevity that I found on them.

Hui Hsien
Hello Hui.

The Savarez 520r feel just a touch more taut than D'Addario EJ27n.

On my guitar that is a little over 65 they felt too tight compared to what I'm used to so I put them on my 62 and I'm very very happy with them on there.

If the savarez 520r feel floppy to you on a 64, I suspect they will feel even more floppy on a 62.

I think you like your strings a little tighter than me. I like them a touch loose.
Let there be songs to fill the air.

Mike Steede

Post by Mike Steede » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:54 pm

Christopher Langley wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:19 am
Chuah Hui Hsien wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:06 am
Hi, Christopher Langley,

Hui Hsien
Hello Hui.

The Savarez 520r feel just a touch more taut than D'Addario EJ27n.

On my guitar that is a little over 65 they felt too tight compared to what I'm used to so I put them on my 62 and I'm very very happy with them on there.

If the savarez 520r feel floppy to you on a 64, I suspect they will feel even more floppy on a 62.

I think you like your strings a little tighter than me. I like them a touch loose.
I've said it before but I feel it bears repeating, I've tried many, many strings over a 2 year period, and I swear by the Savarez 510 MRJ, mixed set of Cantiga basses, nylon trebles with a carbon third. Nothing beats 'em. I have them on both my 650 spruces and my cedar 640 and they're amazing on all.
2018 Steve Ganz 'Chulo' IR/Cedar DT
2017 Steve Ganz 'New Moon' BRW/Spruce
1991 Patrick Olmsted/Steve Ganz re-top 2017 '37 Hauser BRW/Spruce

James Even

Post by James Even » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:42 am

Being new to classical guitar, I do not have a favorite - yet - but I am in the process of finding one based on what I have been reading here... Out of the three sets I have tried so far - EJ46, RC Recital and LaBella 2001 MHT - LaBella has a very strong lead. They were all around beautiful and bell-like right out of the box and still are a week later (with at least 1 to 2 hours of playing each day).

On deck are Savarez 510MRJ (based off of posts like the one above) and Hannabach 815 LT.

Each set gets about a month on and I make a recording of the same song with them each week on my phone as a means to compare the different brands but also to hear how each brand changes over time.

slothmoth

Post by slothmoth » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:03 pm

Anyone else really enjoying Hannabach's new value sets of strings? 600 series i think. I thunk they sound better and last longer than the usual daddarios for about the same price.

janepaints

Post by janepaints » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:47 am

Wuuthrad wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:55 am
Martin Magnifico Hard and Medium tension, which comes with a really nice grey treble polygut designed by Aquila.

I cannot believe how good they sound actually- miles ahead of nylon and carbon, and feel much better on my fingers.
My experience has been similar. Previously I'd mostly used D'addario, sometimes LaBella. All major string makers' offerings were 'good'.....

BUT....

Then I got a set of the medium tension Magnificos and put them on my 1964 Espana-branded SL-12 guitar (built by Bjarton in Sweden, 630mm scale, spruce/mahogany)

WOW!! It was like getting a brand-new guitar. A brand new guitar that thrilled me. I've played this guitar for 19 years and it never sounded so good.

So I went back to the store and bought more Martin Magnificos. Put them on my other guitars--a 1962 Levin-built (Sweden) 'Goya'-branded G-10 (630 mm scale, spruce/birch) and the little Cordoba Coco Mini Mahogany (all-mahogany laminate, 580mm scale). Same result: they sounded (and played) better than they'd ever sounded before.

I've been playing guitar since 1964, and for most of that time have usually had one nylon-string guitar around, but since about 1990 nylon-string guitars became my primary preference and focus. These Magnifico strings provide the sound and feel which I'd long sought. I'd played a few 1880's Martin guitars strung with actual gut strings and always thought "THIS is how a guitar is SUPPOSED to sound and feel" (ditto for several gut-strung
violins and banjos I've played). But genuine gut has practical disadvantages--cost, fragility, tuning stability etc.

The Magnificos have 'that sound' and that 'feel.' No more 'plastic-sounding' trebles, no more fat tubby-sounding G string. They also settled into stable pitch REAL fast--amazingly so. Intonation is excellent all over the fingerboard and excellent string-to-string tone-and-volume balance.

Playing guitar feels again as it did when I was a kid, when I first gained some proficiency and owned a decent guitar--I can't stop playing!! Blackened dented fingertips! Errands and chores forgotten! Gotta play more guitar! Serious addiction! :) What a nice 'problem' to have!

I've been recording with the new strings, to see if the recorded results match my ears' opinion while playing these strings. They have. Best recorded nylon-string sound I've achieved. A guitarist friend stopped over yesterday--he heard the difference too.

Sorry for the length of this 'rave' review, but we all know that most products which claim 'NEW AND IMPROVED MIRACLE WHATEVER' are anything but. So it's nice when a product DOES deliver the 'WOW' factor. Good job, Martin/Aquila.

Wuuthrad

Post by Wuuthrad » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:07 am

janepaints wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:47 am
Wuuthrad wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:55 am
Martin Magnifico Hard and Medium tension, which comes with a really nice grey treble polygut designed by Aquila.

I cannot believe how good they sound actually- miles ahead of nylon and carbon, and feel much better on my fingers.
My experience has been similar. Previously I'd mostly used D'addario, sometimes LaBella. All major string makers' offerings were 'good'.....

BUT....

WOW!! It was like getting a brand-new guitar. A brand new guitar that thrilled me. I've played this guitar for 19 years and it never sounded so good.

The Magnificos have 'that sound' and that 'feel.' No more 'plastic-sounding' trebles, no more fat tubby-sounding G string. They also settled into stable pitch REAL fast--amazingly so. Intonation is excellent all over the fingerboard and excellent string-to-string tone-and-volume balance.

Playing guitar feels again as it did when I was a kid, when I first gained some proficiency and owned a decent guitar--I can't stop playing!! Blackened dented fingertips! Errands and chores forgotten! Gotta play more guitar! Serious addiction! :) What a nice 'problem' to have!

Sorry for the length of this 'rave' review, but we all know that most products which claim 'NEW AND IMPROVED MIRACLE WHATEVER' are anything but. So it's nice when a product DOES deliver the 'WOW' factor. Good job, Martin/Aquila.
I really enjoyed your review and thanks for posting (I removed some of your post for brevity.)

I think you've described them very well- definitely better than I did!

Cheers!
"Pay no attention to what the critics say. A statue has never been erected in honor of a critic." -Jean Sibelius

pasigenyo

Post by pasigenyo » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:56 pm

I recently tried and liked Augustine Imperial Blue strings. The trebles have a slightly and noticeably larger diameter than the carbon strings I'm used to, but it didn't take me long to get used to them. They are much cheaper than the Savarez strings I've been using. The set lasted 2 months before the D string broke (after heavy daily use of course). I change strings every couple of months or so anyway, so the longevity of the strings are not an issue. They sound really good, really loud and I feel I will be using them for a while until I run into something better.

mrvegas

Post by mrvegas » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:21 am

Just put on a set of Labella 850 elite and really like them. Before that, I would have said Augustine (various flavors) or Savarez (520B or 520R, depending on the guitar).
Life is too short to be perfectly in tune.

bogdan

Post by bogdan » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:42 am

bogdan wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:11 am
It depends on the guitar.
In general, the basses I like most are either Savarez Cristal (570CR) or D'Addario EXP45, and the trebles - Savarez New Cristal (e.g., 500CR).
Edit to my previous message:
I have recently tried Augustine Classic trebles (black) on two of my guitars and I like them a lot.
I think I am starting to prefer them to the New Cristals.
I have also tried the Augustine Imperial trebles, but I still like the Classics better: they are sweet, punchy and loud at the same time.

Bogdan

Dartez82

Post by Dartez82 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:18 am

Augustine black imperials; Mari 200ph trebles with LA Bella 10ph basses

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”