Bach BWV 1007 Prelude

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
AAA

Re: Bach BWV 1007 Prelude

Post by AAA » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:09 pm

Wuuthrad wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:39 pm
Aged Angel, that sounds like a great interpretation, please let us know how it goes!
Will do. I'm still doing sight reads, experimenting with slur locations.

AA

DeeKay

Post by DeeKay » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:51 am

Wuuthrad wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:21 am
I just wanted to add what I forgot to mention; Stanley Yates book is a 'performance edition' which may be of some importance to you. In essence he has made the music somewhat more easy to play for guitarists!
What I especially like about this edition is that it also contains a comparison of the arrangement with the original cello score side by side (in case of Suite No. 5 also with Bach's lute version).
In addition, there is an article called "Arranging, Interpreting, and Performing the Music of J.S. Bach" included. A shortend version of the article is also available on Stanley Yates' web site.

AAA

Post by AAA » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:17 am

AgedAngel wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:09 pm
Wuuthrad wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:39 pm
Aged Angel, that sounds like a great interpretation, please let us know how it goes!
Will do. I'm still doing sight reads, experimenting with slur locations.

AA
Sadly, I'm finding that the more I mess with this, the less I like what I'm hearing. I've gone so far as to dump the printout on which I was making my fingerings and am starting afresh. Curiously, I'm now heading in the exact opposite direction with my interpretation.

There must be some bleed-through from my deck of Brian Eno's "Oblique Strategies" cards. I'm sure there's on in there that says "Turn the Whole Thing Around".

AA

Wuuthrad

Post by Wuuthrad » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:23 am

Time for the Kiss costume?

But seriously I like to play this at an adagio and faster some passages. Not always though- it's such a melodic piece and not a virtuosic display to me.

I think a lot of Classical Guitarists I hear play way too fast and lose the soul of music, jamming notes together in a blender almost. But perhaps that's another topic?

As for Bach, I think some people's interpretations and transcriptions suffer a false sense of authority, and as a result the music suffers... (but Bach's music when played accurately is so good it often doesn't matter if you can interpret it, and just playing it is almost enough.)

Look at the original BWV 1007 for example; I don't see any rests. And think of a 13 course Baroque Lute: the bass notes are meant to ring!
"Pay no attention to what the critics say. A statue has never been erected in honor of a critic." -Jean Sibelius

Wuuthrad

Post by Wuuthrad » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:19 am

Here is my favorite, and I wonder if anyone has transcribed this, or did Bream ever? I imagine he probably just played it on the spot like this:

"Pay no attention to what the critics say. A statue has never been erected in honor of a critic." -Jean Sibelius

Robin

Post by Robin » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:37 am

This is a piece that I've been trying to learn for years. I've had many starts and stops in my study of it. Initially I struggled with the technical aspects but later encountered very limited practice time constraints making it difficult to work on a longer piece. This past summer I pulled it out again and have concentrated on it, determined to own it. I finally performed it publicly for the first time today during a church service! It felt awesome to be able to perform Bach with confidence!

So, to the original poster: if you love the piece, work on it at your own pace. In the end, you'll be glad that you kept at it!

Robin
So much music, so little time.

Tony Hyman

Post by Tony Hyman » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:40 pm

Robin wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:37 am
This is a piece that I've been trying to learn for years. I've had many starts and stops in my study of it. Initially I struggled with the technical aspects but later encountered very limited practice time constraints making it difficult to work on a longer piece. This past summer I pulled it out again and have concentrated on it, determined to own it. I finally performed it publicly for the first time today during a church service! It felt awesome to be able to perform Bach with confidence!

So, to the original poster: if you love the piece, work on it at your own pace. In the end, you'll be glad that you kept at it!

Robin
Congrats Robin.Must be a wonderful feeling getting to the top of yet another mountain. Yep no one can take that one away from you.

bacsidoan

Post by bacsidoan » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:51 pm

Robin wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:37 am

Robin
Congrats! Now onward to owning the entire suite. Well worth the effort IMO.

Crofty

Post by Crofty » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:06 am

What does "owning the entire suite" mean in this or any other context?

I can only think of one person about whom one could say that about - and he has been dead for nearly 270 years.

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:55 pm

Crofty wrote:What does "owning the entire suite" mean in this or any other context?
Paul, you have clearly not wasted enough of your life playing video games.

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:28 pm

Crofty wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:06 am
What does "owning the entire suite" mean in this or any other context?

I can only think of one person about whom one could say that about - and he has been dead for nearly 270 years.
To own something is American slang meaning to master/dominate it.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

Wuuthrad

Post by Wuuthrad » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:48 am

Mark Clifton-Gaultier wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:55 pm
Crofty wrote:What does "owning the entire suite" mean in this or any other context?
Paul, you have clearly not wasted enough of your life playing video games.
PWND!

Surely someone's Mom is also "familiar"?

(Srry I just couldn't resist!)

You did go there after all...

Just recently a lifelong friend was almost tearedly bemoaning the lack of "your mom" jokes as of late... what is this WYRLD coming too after all?

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”