Displaying guitars/ guitar stands

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Philosopherguy

Re: Displaying guitars/ guitar stands

Post by Philosopherguy » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:41 am

You live in Canada and want to leave guitars out?! You are brave! The humidity changes so much around here that my guitars would be in pieces from all the cracks. I keep them safe in the case where its easier to control the humidity.

I find I used to humidify the house so it never got too dry. But, I started to get too much water condensation on the windows that led to having to clean the windows all the time.

A nice stand would be good for the warmer months when humidity isn't an issue. In the winter, it is dangerous!

Martin
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

Mike Atkinson

Post by Mike Atkinson » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:36 am

fast eddie wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:38 am
I have been thinking about UV light and it's effect on fading a guitar's finish. I have one guitar that is 40+ years old and shows no signs of fading, but it has been kept in a case this entire time (of course except for taking it out to play each day). Does anyone have any experience with this?
I did just order one of those fancy Acoustic Remedy things. Is it a stand, or a case? I'm not certain.

Anyhow ... I ordered one with glass front and sides ... and I am putting UV glass in. Specifically because I share the concern you are voicing.

Both the stand, and the guitar really are pieces of art ... functional art, but art, none the less. And I would protect any such art from exposure in this manner, I think.
2018 Cordoba Esteso Cedar

Mollbarre

Post by Mollbarre » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:16 am

Well, FWIW, I got tired of looking for a "better", or more appealing, or more affordable stand and went ahead and ordered a String Swing CC34.

I could probably make one - but by the time I bought the supplies, and got around to actually building it, I would likely have spent more, and be waiting forever.

So - either I end up liking this one well enough, or I buy/build something different down the road. But in the meantime this should do.

Moving instruments around, putting them in, and then taking them out of cases, etc., is annoying. Shouldnt be - first world problems and all that, but still. Hopefully this will be less stressful. Keeping fingers crossed!
Last edited by Mollbarre on Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
2016 Fender CN320AS
2018 Cordoba C10 crossover
2018 Ibanez GA5TCE
...and miscellaneous bits and pieces.

Mollbarre

Post by Mollbarre » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:27 am

Philosopherguy wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:41 am
You live in Canada and want to leave guitars out?! You are brave! The humidity changes so much around here that my guitars would be in pieces from all the cracks. I keep them safe in the case where its easier to control the humidity.

Martin
I don't know that keeping a guitar/wooden instrument in a case is really that helpful, given that you really can't muck around with the ambient RH in a meaningful way - unless you build a humidity controlled chamber. And even then, every time you remove the instrument from the chamber to play it, or travel with it ,etc, you are possibly exposing it to humidity extremes. I think letting it adjust to the ambient RH might be better.

Caveat - and by that I mean it's important to still take care, and not expose it to real extremes, like leaving it in front of a heat vent, in a hot window, in a car, etc.

I think I mentioned that I have plants in the room and an open bucket of water for passive evaporation. Might not help much either, but it's constant at least.
2016 Fender CN320AS
2018 Ibanez GA5TCE

HNLim

Post by HNLim » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:05 am

I don't think it is a good idea to openly display your guitars unless it is in a proper room or cabinet. I have some issues with several of my guitars even though my area usually has very high humidity. I have since use humidifier and keep my precious guitars in the case.
1980 Yamaha GC30A - BRW/Spruce
1984 Yamaha GC70 - BRW/Spruce
2015 Sen #5 - BRW/Spruce
2017 LHN - BRW/Spruce

Mollbarre

Post by Mollbarre » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:45 pm

HNLim wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:05 am
I don't think it is a good idea to openly display your guitars unless it is in a proper room or cabinet. I have some issues with several of my guitars even though my area usually has very high humidity. I have since use humidifier and keep my precious guitars in the case.
I do have them in my "music room". I find keeping an instrument in a case, especially when you're practicing more than one, with limited practice time, is just anti-productive.

Plus, I have straps on 2 guitars. In my limited guitar experience, putting a guitar in a case with a strap on doesn't work - unless maybe, your strap is small and the case is big. My strap is big and the case is small...

My Swingline stand arrived yesterday and I put it together without a problem - good instructions. FWIW, the stand actually looks better in real life than it does on-line. Smaller than I thought - which is good!

Now I need to see if it's practical. :D
2016 Fender CN320AS
2018 Ibanez GA5TCE

Mike Atkinson

Post by Mike Atkinson » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:20 pm

Mike Atkinson wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:35 am
Those Acoustic Remedy cases are beautiful. One my need to be in my future.
Yes, they are pricey. But, pretty.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VJn4dI ... sp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Tp11f4 ... sp=sharing

Trying to post the images of my stand, .. facing challenges, Any suggestions will be appreciated.
2018 Cordoba Esteso Cedar

Return to “Public Space”