guitar tuner what do you use?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Thomas

guitar tuner what do you use?

Post by Thomas » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:12 pm

I have Korg SHPRO Sledgehammer Pro Clip-On Guitar Tuner
D'Addario NS Micro Sound Hole Tuner
D'Addario NS Micro Clip-On Tuner

Sledgehammer is confusing and there is a design flow. Don't like it
D'Addario NS Micro Sound Hole Tuner is useless in noisy places and does not track my E string well

I love D'Addario NS Micro Clip-On Tuner and it is useful however I need to know all the cents + and - so I am looking for another one

What tuner do you use?

guitarrista

Re: guitar tuner what do you use?

Post by guitarrista » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:40 pm

Peterson StroboClip HD. Accurate to 0.1 cent. Never had a problem in a noisy environment.
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:42 pm

guitarrista wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:40 pm
Peterson StroboClip HD. Accurate to 0.1 cent. Never had a problem in a noisy environment.
I have purchased the app on my iphone and I like it but not sure if it has the same feature on clip - on guitar
does it show cents? + - ?

Wuuthrad

Post by Wuuthrad » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:43 pm

Ear Fork...
"Pay no attention to what the critics say. A statue has never been erected in honor of a critic." -Jean Sibelius

MessyTendon
Amateur luthier

Post by MessyTendon » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:50 pm

Does the Peterson do better than Snark? I've got two Snarks...both work alright...I mean it's an expensive tuner based on the fanciful notion that I need a Strobe...vintage Peterson tuners are so cool. But I think the Strobo is just a crappy oem chinese electronic component...prove me wrong...

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:54 pm

MessyTendon wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:50 pm
Does the Peterson do better than Snark? I've got two Snarks...both work alright...I mean it's an expensive tuner based on the fanciful notion that I need a Strobe...vintage Peterson tuners are so cool. But I think the Strobo is just a crappy oem chinese electronic component...prove me wrong...
I wanted to buy snark but it does not show the cents + - Do they?
Also not sure witch model I should buy?

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:20 pm

Thomas wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:42 pm
guitarrista wrote:
I have purchased the app on my iphone and I like it but not sure if it has the same feature on clip - on guitar
1. There is no way the app on iphone would have the same features. The StroboClip is a clip-on tuner that picks up vibrations through the wood.

2. It's stroboscopic - when you are in tune the rotating "wheel" slows down to a static pattern.
Konstantin
--

MessyTendon
Amateur luthier

Post by MessyTendon » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:23 pm

Snark doesn't show cents...it allows you to set the cents, but doesn't display to me that is the dumbest feature.

Seiko makes a good tuner the ST737/757 models...shows the cents live as the needle bounces...nice digital tuner for not much money and it takes normal a type batteries...but it is not a clip on...some ambient noises can interfere, but only if your listening to music or somebody is singing next door :)

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:38 pm

guitarrista wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:20 pm
Thomas wrote:
guitarrista wrote:
1. There is no way the app on iphone would have the same features. The StroboClip is a clip-on tuner that picks up vibrations through the wood.

2. It's stroboscopic - when you are in tune the rotating "wheel" slows down to a static pattern.
If this is the case my Korg SHPRO Sledgehammer Pro Clip-On Guitar Tuner is much cheaper and is doing just the same

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:49 pm

Thomas wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:38 pm
guitarrista wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:20 pm
Thomas wrote:

If this is the case my Korg SHPRO Sledgehammer Pro Clip-On Guitar Tuner is much cheaper and is doing just the same
Didn't you write "Sledgehammer is confusing and there is a design flow. Don't like it"?

Didn't you ask "What tuner do you use?" I answered.

How did you get from there to "Korg SHPRO ... is doing just the same [as Peterson]"?

I guess I am happy that you quickly worked out your misgivings about the Korg... :roll:
Konstantin
--

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:42 am

Yes it has a design flow and it takes time to get used to it but the Peterson price can not be justified :)

Bill B

Post by Bill B » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:57 am

I use a few different things. If Im playing with a piano, or a choir, etc, I get my A pitch from the piano and go from there. or I use one of the free apps. I haven't found one that doesn't work well enough for solo work to give me a decent A so I can tune from there. Or I use a snark. Im not sure which model. Ive bought 3 over the years. They work well in noisy situations. Ive never needed to see the cents. It will allow me to set it up or down to a different reference which is useful for early music and such. There was an app I had that would sound the desired pitch rather than hear mine. I liked that feature but I broke that phone and cannot seem to find the app again. in general I prefer to match a pitch that I hear rather than tune to a visual display unless tuning during a performance is likely to be needed when I must tune silently or nearly so. I did a theater gig once and had to retune my 6th string from e to d during a song. I had enough time but the rest of the group was still playing and if I remember correctly, they weren't playing something that would have given me the pitch I was looking for when I needed it. Thats where a clip on really shines in my opinion. other than that i prefer to get an a and go from there with my ear.
2013 Angel Benito Aguado
2005 Ramirez R-2

AndrewFitzsimmons

Post by AndrewFitzsimmons » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:26 am

What is the design flaw of the Korg SH-pro?
Just interested because I have one.

Kind Regards
Andrew

rwe

Post by rwe » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:04 am

I use the older and the current Peterson clip tuner and I also have a snark. The Petersons are much more accurate, especially for the low strings. With the Snark, it's difficult to tune an acoustic bass guitar, with the Petersons it's no problem. The Snark display shows "green" in a wider pitch range while the Petersons' strobe display allows to tune very exactly. The Petersons fit exactly to the tuner of my piano builder.
Last edited by rwe on Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:26 am

AndrewFitzsimmons wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:26 am
What is the design flaw of the Korg SH-pro?
Just interested because I have one.

Kind Regards
Andrew
I have this Rattling problem that is being fixed in this video

Return to “Public Space”