Having more than one guitar

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
richtm

Re: Having more than one guitar

Post by richtm » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:45 pm

I do not only own the below stated guitars. I feel for different style of music I need different instruments. Maybe it's a lack of technic or musicianship, on the other hand I even feel by listening to David Russell, that particular pieces would benefit e.g.if David would play them on a spruce top guitar. Sometimes I even think that you can not play everything on a modern double-top guitar.
I agree it's a luxury and I am not quite sure if it's my particular taste of music or my lack of abulities/technic on the guitar. I even think that if one really wants to play spanish guitar Music - needs to play this music on a Granada style guitar. Bach again is different - and here it depends if it's orchestral, harpsichord or lute transcription music....
:discussion:
:merci:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ernest Köröskenyi 1977 Cedar; Pauline Bernabe Especial 2007 Spruce, 2012 Cedar; Andreas Kirmse 2017 Cedar DT; Philipp Lerche Torres 2018 Spruce

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:33 pm

I imagine that leading violinists, cellists etc are the same in having a relationship with one key instrument.
Of course in their case, the instruments cost far, far more than ours do, making it a bit harder to have as many as guitarists...!
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:47 pm

riffmeister wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:57 pm
I have multiple classical guitars. While they do all sound like nylon string acoustic guitars, there are some subltle and not so subtle differences in sound/response and they all feel slightly different under my fingers. I usually wind up playing one for several weeks, then changing guitars to get a 'fresh perspective'. It's a luxury for sure, but I really do enjoy it.
Same story for me. But even I can see that I've got too many right now... decisions, decisions.

/Jon
Last edited by rinneby on Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1964 - Masaru Kohno
1989 - Antonio Marin Montero
2017 - Pete Beer
2017 - Tobias Braun

Feel free to ask me anything about Japanese classical guitars.

Gary up north

Post by Gary up north » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:18 pm

I have a fine little dog named Spike, he has, and seems to very much enjoy, 3 different doggie toys. Likewise I have and enjoy 3 different classical guitars. If I could play like Segovia one might suffice. Who knows?

guitarseller345645

Post by guitarseller345645 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:45 am

I only allow myself 2 guitars, for practical reasons:

One is the main one, the other is a backup.

Space is lacking, time is lacking (can hardly find time to play even my main guitar), money is lacking (always find emergencies coming up that require the cash that I was about to spend on a third guitar).

Should my main guitar suddenly suffer a disaster, then I shall go to having only one guitar.

Playmore19

Post by Playmore19 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:37 am

I have the same dilemma with bikes - how many can I fit in my garage? I’d say just enough to keep under the radar and watchful eye of one’s spouse. Mostly let space and the pocketbook dictate. Like others have said, different ones for different occasions, e.g., travel/practice, genre or style of music - whereas some pieces sound better on spruce vs cedar top. I have one with sound ports and another without. I do agree that it poses some challenge in terms of which gets the most play time. But in the end, it all adds to the richness of life......and each can be such eye candy.

mcg

Post by mcg » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:00 am

Gary up north wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:18 pm
I have a fine little dog named Spike, he has, and seems to very much enjoy, 3 different doggie toys. Likewise I have and enjoy 3 different classical guitars. If I could play like Segovia one might suffice. Who knows?
Well, you see, that's where my dog is different. He has just one toy, a squeaky bone. He has eschewed all other toys available to him and is devoted only to this one. I think he believes that this squeaky toy is 'the one', something connected to him in a profound way. He loves its feel and nuances. Its squeak projects his personality, what he wants to say and how he wants to say it. Flitting between other toys is just not the same.

Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:57 am

mike223 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:10 am
I'm waiting for the.... Wife to say... Why do you have so many guitars you can only play one at a time..... Wait for it...... Way do you have so many shoe you can only wear one pair at a time...... Waiting for that moment
I remember someone interviewing Jay Leno (who has a collection of more than 250 cars) suggested to him that his wife can probably buy any shoes she likes. :)

Actually I'm surprised that anyone would question why people have more than one guitar. All guitars are different - especially acoustic ones - and they all have their own strengths and weaknesses. They're also works of art - like classic cars - and they're nice to have around.

StuMayes

Post by StuMayes » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:40 am

Arguments for having only one classical guitar do seem a bit puritanical to me, whether by chance or design they take all the fun out of life. I may have excuses for having more -multiple required tunings, different timbres etc- but really, I just lack a censorious moral attitude towards self-indulgence.

Jason

Post by Jason » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:29 pm

Some folks like owning more than one, it really doesn't matter why, its entirely up to them. Others will only own one, equally as acceptable, it really doesn't matter why, as its up to the individual.
Just enjoy the music, and your guitar(s) :)
2018 Yamaha gc42s
72 Yamaha gc6d
76 Yamaha g220
71 Yamaha g100a
(At the moment)

Peter Frary

Post by Peter Frary » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:29 pm

I don't think you can have too many guitars just as long as they are useful and you still play them. Especially if you're making a living in music, you need instruments for recording that may not be ideal for live performance but nothing else will fo, guitars with pickups for gigs, guitars for teaching on (don't want a student to ding your concert guitar), guitars for travel, guitars for 19th century music, etc. I've actually lost count of mine...
I play a Tiny Tenor 6 so I look taller on stage!

Mollbarre

Post by Mollbarre » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:28 pm

Not to mention - all those guitar companies WANT us to buy more guitars...

So, we're really helping the economy. :discussion:

BTW - I just justified buying a 3rd guitar. :oops: It's in the mail.
2016 Fender CN320AS
2018 Cordoba C10 crossover
2018 Ibanez GA5TCE
...and miscellaneous bits and pieces.

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:45 am

I like rotating between two guitars, a cedar and a spruce. I can always remember the guitar I played the day before, so it works for me.

satanikoskioftes

Post by satanikoskioftes » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:47 am

FIrst of all different types of woods produce different sounds. So you can have one with a cedar top and another one with spruce
Then you can have a more expensive one for recordings or recitals and another one for travel,lessons,practice,etc.
After you have some basic models that cover the above you can go crazy and have some weirder ones like a sevensstring or an extended length one

fast eddie

Post by fast eddie » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:07 pm

When I bought my 2nd guitar my wife said 'what are you going to do with ANOTHER one?". Well one year later I did it again so now I have three.. So now when she comes in my practice room and I have all 3 out, she asks if I'm having a party. The answer is YES.
Fast Eddie
Cordoba C 10 Spruce
Cordoba C 10 Cedar
1974 Hernandis

Return to “Public Space”