D01 Classical guitar lesson 04

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Paul Cezanne
Student of the online lessons

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 04

Post by Paul Cezanne » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:14 pm

Christopher Langley wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:55 am

That is a very hard piece to get up to tempo Paul!

I stalled on it for quite a while, myself.
I'm up to 70bpm after 15 minutes. I start each day around 65 but there are mistakes so I keep on trying. LOL, we should take this discussion to the D04 page!

There, I just did!

Paul Cezanne

Post by Paul Cezanne » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:25 pm

Question. I find I make fewer mistakes when I look at my left hand. This seems wrong though, like its a crutch, or even a bad habit. What are the thoughts on this?

Robert Drechsler

Post by Robert Drechsler » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:04 pm

i think as soon as u cant play a piece by heart anymore (longer pieces), it will be very difficult to switch eyes from hand to notes and back.
and i realised by myself, its easy to train bad habits but it takes a lot of work to get rid of it again ,-)

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:18 pm

Paul Cezanne wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:25 pm
Question. I find I make fewer mistakes when I look at my left hand. This seems wrong though, like its a crutch, or even a bad habit. What are the thoughts on this?
I think it's okay. I do it. But, I also don't really use sheet music while I'm playing at all
Robert Drechsler wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:04 pm
i think as soon as u cant play a piece by heart anymore (longer pieces), it will be very difficult to switch eyes from hand to notes and back.
and i realised by myself, its easy to train bad habits but it takes a lot of work to get rid of it again ,-)

If you watch any professionals you will see most of them looking at their hands and then back to their music. Often times they have no music at all.

It does take a lot of effort to undo a mistake, but I don't think watching either hand is a mistake, personally. I think it's something you want to be able to do, if needed.

Someone with more experience should chime in.
Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep.

Robert Drechsler

Post by Robert Drechsler » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:59 pm

Christopher Langley wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:18 pm
If you watch any professionals you will see most of them looking at their hands and then back to their music. Often times they have no music at all.
Someone with more experience should chime in.
Your right Chris, as you mentioned "professionals" We are poor beginners and have to beginn from the scratch ;-) i took leassons for couple of month with a classic guitar teacher. he always stoped me playing when i was looking to my fingers. he sad its very important to build up a muscle memmory and you wont if you look at your fingers.
his recomandations was stop playing right after you didnt hit the note correct and repeat this pattern until you play it perfect.

Paul Cezanne

Post by Paul Cezanne » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:54 pm

Robert Drechsler wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:59 pm
i took leassons for couple of month with a classic guitar teacher. he always stoped me playing when i was looking to my fingers. he sad its very important to build up a muscle memmory and you wont if you look at your fingers.
That's probably what I need to hear. Advice from a real live teacher, thank you!
Robert Drechsler wrote:
his recomandations was stop playing right after you didnt hit the note correct and repeat this pattern until you play it perfect.
I sometimes do that. But even after a lot of repetitions I still don't get it right 100% of the time. Bars 9, 10 and 11 of LA CUCARACHA are just killing me. That G F# G F# sequence. I just can't find the F#. I can find it if I look, hence the question.

I know, practice is the answer.

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:48 pm

Robert Drechsler wrote:

he sad its very important to build up a muscle memmory and you wont if you look at your fingers.
Interesting.

I am gonna give not looking more of a shot. I can see how it would be useful. I could then maybe get into the habit of actually looking at the score more often.

I just know I already know what is on the page.. So I tend to watch leftie as a safety precaution. And I'm confortable visualizing music on the fretboard.. Not so much on the musical staff, the lines and spaces are hard for me to differentiate unless I look real closely.
Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep.

William Byrd

Post by William Byrd » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:11 am

Paul Cezanne wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:54 pm
Robert Drechsler wrote:
i took leassons for couple of month with a classic guitar teacher. he always stoped me playing when i was looking to my fingers. he sad its very important to build up a muscle memmory and you wont if you look at your fingers.
That's probably what I need to hear. Advice from a real live teacher, thank you!
Robert Drechsler wrote:
I sometimes do that. But even after a lot of repetitions I still don't get it right 100% of the time. Bars 9, 10 and 11 of LA CUCARACHA are just killing me. That G F# G F# sequence. I just can't find the F#. I can find it if I look, hence the question.

I know, practice is the answer.
Hi Paul,

Try this. In measure 10, you play the B and then the D with the third finger. Keep the third finger planted on the D as a point of reference. It will make hitting the F# easier. Play the open G, the F# with your pinky and keep it planted for the repeat. You'll need to really arch your third and fourth fingers so you're not muting the open G. I just picked up the guitar and tried it and it seems to help.

Bill
1964 Seizo Shinano No 83
1966 Kazuo Yairi Uzuki
1973 Ryoji Matsuoka No 40
1992 Asturias Custom Build

Paul Cezanne

Post by Paul Cezanne » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:52 pm

William Byrd wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:11 am
Try this. In measure 10, you play the B and then the D with the third finger. Keep the third finger planted on the D as a point of reference. It will make hitting the F# easier. Play the open G, the F# with your pinky and keep it planted for the repeat. You'll need to really arch your third and fourth fingers so you're not muting the open G. I just picked up the guitar and tried it and it seems to help.

Bill
Thanks for the tip.

I've been trying that a few days now. It has been working out well, but sorta. I hated moving the B3 finger to the D3, it just felt odd. But... after playing the D with the 3rd finger I kept that finger firmly planted. I never figured out how to mute it but I didn't care, I kept on going. And having the D planted firmly made the F# and A2 easy to play. I was moving along.

So today I wondered about muting the D. And after I played the D I lifted the finger off but kept it hovering, and wow, the F# and A were still playable. I don't know if this is just from practice or centering the D gave me, but it's awesome.

I was able to play it, twice, at the end of practice almost mistake free, at 95 bpm. I'll slow it down again to be error free, but it was nice to see that number on the metronome.

William Byrd

Post by William Byrd » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:33 am

Paul Cezanne wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:52 pm
William Byrd wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:11 am

Bill
Thanks for the tip.

I've been trying that a few days now. It has been working out well, but sorta. I hated moving the B3 finger to the D3, it just felt odd. But... after playing the D with the 3rd finger I kept that finger firmly planted. I never figured out how to mute it but I didn't care, I kept on going. And having the D planted firmly made the F# and A2 easy to play. I was moving along.

So today I wondered about muting the D. And after I played the D I lifted the finger off but kept it hovering, and wow, the F# and A were still playable. I don't know if this is just from practice or centering the D gave me, but it's awesome.

I was able to play it, twice, at the end of practice almost mistake free, at 95 bpm. I'll slow it down again to be error free, but it was nice to see that number on the metronome.
Hi Paul,

Good to hear you are making progress. There really are no shortcuts with classical guitar it seems. Patience and perseverance will win the day.

Bill
1964 Seizo Shinano No 83
1966 Kazuo Yairi Uzuki

Paul Cezanne

Post by Paul Cezanne » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:21 am

I'm up to 105bpm today pretty much error free. And at the end of the session I tried 120. It was very musical, but it almost worked. And what it showed me was that I was sometimes raking the fingers. If I was on a higher string and the next string was the next one down I was just using the same finger. You can't do that when you go faster. So it was a stumble for, had to back the tempo way down but I think I'm alternating now. And the funny thing is, I'm playing each student's videos twice, once for the left hand, once for the right. LOL.

Paul Cezanne

Post by Paul Cezanne » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:08 pm

I swore to my self about a week ago that I wouldn't upload LA CUCARACHA until I was at 144bpm. Well... I broke today. So here's my videos.

Some nasty buzzes here on ALOUETTE but otherwise fine. The video shows me why, my fingers aren't exactly correct on the fretboard. I guess that comes with more practice.

I could only get to 120bpm here. I'll be back, I promise.

William Byrd

Post by William Byrd » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:30 am

Paul Cezanne wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:08 pm
I swore to my self about a week ago that I wouldn't upload LA CUCARACHA until I was at 144bpm. Well... I broke today. So here's my videos.
Very good submissions Paul! I see you are still holding your guitar in a modified manner that suits you. My only concern for you going forward would be your thumb attack as it doesn't seem at all natural with regard to how you are holding the guitar. It was most noticeable on Lundi Matin. I may be completely wrong however, but it is just my personal observation.
:bravo:

Bill
1964 Seizo Shinano No 83
1966 Kazuo Yairi Uzuki

Paul Cezanne

Post by Paul Cezanne » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:07 pm

William Byrd wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:30 am
My only concern for you going forward would be your thumb attack as it doesn't seem at all natural with regard to how you are holding the guitar. It was most noticeable on Lundi Matin. I may be completely wrong however, but it is just my personal observation.
Thanks William! I too am in the dark here. When you think about it some, going vertical makes the thumb harder but the other fingers easier, the wrist is completely natural. Then again, guitarist have been doing this for centuries, so I don't know. I'm going to ask some other vertical players what they think.

Paul Cezanne

Post by Paul Cezanne » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:19 am

I'm having a private conversation with another, more experienced, vertical player and noticed that my entire right arms moves on the those P notes. Wow! I need to work on that. Thumb is hard when playing vertically. I need to learn more.

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”