D02 Classical guitar lesson 06

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Linda Kimbrel
Student of the online lessons

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 06

Post by Linda Kimbrel » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:30 pm

Ken Kim wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:12 pm

Linda, I hope not to start building guitar although I really want to! :lol:
I didn't add any note to Carcassi and all I did was to move RH position to make different tones. Please, try to listen Maestro Delcamp's and my demo again with score and I didn't find any note other than score. As I mentioned in earlier lesson, my recording setup is probably most reasonable because it is my phone Galaxy S7 and Rode VideoMicme$48 attached directly to phone. No app used to make some effect or anything. Procedure is simple as record, then cut the feed as wanted and upload to YouTube. You are lucky to have a iphone, which has more and better selections than mics for android. It would be worth to get a good mic for your continued enjoyment. Don't get stressed too much because you will get better and you are getting better. Just don't miss daily practice. It is better to play everyday at least 5-10 mins even though you don't want to play. Progress 1mm every day. That is the goal for me. Look forward to seeing your lesson 06 submissions. :discussion: :bye:
Thanks Ken. I didn’t realize I had options for mikes for iPhone. That’s good information. And practicing is not a problem for me, there’s never a day I don’t want to play. I should spend more time on scales and that’s sort of thing though, instead of just playing music because I like to playing. ☺️

Mike Cook

Post by Mike Cook » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:14 am

Happy Birthday to Fernando Maria Meinrado Franscesco Pascale Rosario Carulli, born February 9, 1770. Fernando wrote over 400 compositions for the classical guitar and this is one of my favorites! I'm glad it is part of our lessons. Happy Birthday Fernando!

2019 Elias Bonet Monne Traditional Cedar/Green Ebony
2017 Cordoba 20th Anniversary Guitar
1993 Jose Ramirez R2
2008 Fender Strat, Eric Johnson Signature Model
1966 Gibson Melodymaker
2013 Gibson Songwriter Deluxe EC Studio

Linda Kimbrel

Post by Linda Kimbrel » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:46 pm

Mike Cook wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:14 am
Happy Birthday to Fernando Maria Meinrado Franscesco Pascale Rosario Carulli, born February 9, 1770. Fernando wrote over 400 compositions for the classical guitar and this is one of my favorites! I'm glad it is part of our lessons. Happy Birthday Fernando!

Oh my, Mike, that was beautifully played! Very expressive phrasing, I felt I was listening to a story without words. :bravo:
Linda Kimbrel

Judy Verbeeten

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:31 pm

Linda Kimbrel wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:46 pm

Oh my, Mike, that was beautifully played! Very expressive phrasing, I felt I was listening to a story without words. :bravo:
Linda Kimbrel
Mike, I couldn't agree more wiith LInda. Beautifully played with commendable expressive phrasing. May I inquire, is your guitar a 650 mm fretboard or shorter? Wow, I have to mention it again - what a difference, optimal placement of your recording microphone makes. It allows us to appreciate your playing, that much more. Well done.

Judy

Ken Kim

Post by Ken Kim » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:07 pm

Mike Cook wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:14 am
I like your expressions. Well played! :bravo: :bye:
Ken

♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥

Robert England ✯❈Hauser❈✯
Amalio Burguet ✯❈Especial❈✯
Cordoba Master Séries ✯❈Rodriguez❈✯ & ✯❈Torres❈✯
Cordoba ✯❈C12❈✯Spruce

Mike Cook

Post by Mike Cook » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:06 am

Thank you Linda. I really enjoyed learning this piece. I’ll keep working on it. The first piece of my future repertoire!
1993 Jose Ramirez R2
1966 Gibson Melodymaker

Mike Cook

Post by Mike Cook » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:12 am

Thanks Ken. Working with you and the rest of the D02 crew keeps me going. I’m getting an old guitar back soon. It’s a Jose Rameriz R2 cedar top, much different than the Córdoba. Can’t wait to experiment with it’s warm character.

Mike
1993 Jose Ramirez R2
1966 Gibson Melodymaker

Mike Cook

Post by Mike Cook » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:25 am

Thank you, Judy. The audio took me a while to figure out with a new digital camera and a Rode microphone. I discovered that the camera sensitivity needed to be turned way down. I also got an extension cable for the mic so it could be closer to the guitar. Here are the specs for the guitar, that I can’t stop playing!

Soundboard: Solid Engelmann Spruce
Back & Sides: Solid Madagascar Rosewood
Fingerboard: Ebony
Neck: Cedar

Scale Length: 650mm
Width at Nut: 52mm
Spacing at Saddle: 60mm

Mike
1993 Jose Ramirez R2
1966 Gibson Melodymaker

Linda Kimbrel

Post by Linda Kimbrel » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:04 am

Hopefully here are my submissions for Lesson 6. (And it’s not even next month yet!). I finally figured out a simpler process for getting these posted.

Last edited by Linda Kimbrel on Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:18 pm

Linda Kimbrel wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:49 pm

For the record, “Pavane” to my mind must be the dreariest, dullest piece we have been assigned to date. It holds zero appeal for me, and I generally discipline myself to at least play through everything we are tasked with.

Linda Kimbrel
(Still pondering on a fitting signature)
Hi Linda,

I used this recording to help me get past the drab nature of Pavane (I pictured this piece being played in some cold, dark castle somewhere ).

https://

youtu.be/h01MgfrVGvE

It's slow but it provided a musical context for me anyway.
1989 Takamine C132S, Savarez 520 PI strings

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Post by Rick Beauregard » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:00 pm

I thought I’d pop in to see how D02 was doing halfway through. And I’m glad I did. I learned me and Fernando Carrulli have the same birthday!

I am so impressed with the tone many of you are achieving, such a challenge and not always typical at this level. Especially with these online lessons, getting instruction on tone production is hard and so important IMHO. Watch and learn.

I’ve had many pieces that I initially found boring or not my cup of tea, only to find they became some of my favorites once I learned them. It helps to seek out other performances on YouTube to hear other interpretations.

Congratulations on making it halfway through.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Robert Goodwin

Post by Robert Goodwin » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:33 pm

Happy birthday Rick. I haven't been on the forum for some time but that's just me trying to iron out right hand control issues. There just wasn't any use in bumbling on while right hand technique was a problem. It's all about learning to relax the fingers. I agree that striving for quality of tone is far more important than grinding through another piece just to get it over with. And again, when I begin to play something properly I begin to like it even when I started out not liking it. I actually could record enough now to catch up with fourth year but I do plan to redo it next year and do it properly so it's a moot point. Nevertheless, I would like to share what little insights I have gained if they might be useful or encouraging for those in earlier classes.

Best regards all,
Bob G.

Ken Kim

Post by Ken Kim » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:12 pm

Mike Cook wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:12 am
Thanks Ken. Working with you and the rest of the D02 crew keeps me going. I’m getting an old guitar back soon. It’s a Jose Rameriz R2 cedar top, much different than the Córdoba. Can’t wait to experiment with it’s warm character.

Mike
Oh, men! Mike, that is very excitng news even for me. Cedar top with Ramirez bracing should be very deep and sweet.

You are the one lucky owner to have Cordoba the 20th anniversary, which was only made 5 guitars by Chief luthier from Cordoba custom shop. It is Hauser inspired as I read.

We all have a long way to go further with more than one guitar!

Can't wait to listen your playing with R2. Please upload 7th lesson Submissions with R2.
Ken

Cordoba ✯❈C12❈✯Spruce

Ken Kim

Post by Ken Kim » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:22 pm

Rick Beauregard wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:00 pm
I thought I’d pop in to see how D02 was doing halfway through. And I’m glad I did. I learned me and Fernando Carrulli have the same birthday!
Hello, Rick.
Happy Birthweek~! Thank you for stopping by D02.
I would definitely appreciate your any advice and suggestion from you. The groups of Lesson in English forum isn't really active except for D01.
I seriously do need more constructive advice from advanced player like you. As I watched the Italian forum, tutor was well active to give out good advice from D01 to D03. I would expect not only encouraging word but also reallistic advice to correct bad habits or to improve new skills from your observation.
I would not get offended any word from you about guitar to improve myself. Please feel free to leave a comment on me. It is strange that I don't see much action from Moderator for Online Lesson in this year. We are left alone.... :merci: :bye:
Ken

Cordoba ✯❈C12❈✯Spruce

Ken Kim

Post by Ken Kim » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:52 pm

Linda Kimbrel wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:04 am
Hopefully here are my submissions for Lesson 6. (And it’s not even next month yet!). I finally figured out a simpler process for getting these posted.
Congratulation, Linda! You finally caught us. :discussion:
Well played both Sauteuse and Andantino. :bravo:
Same as previous comment on lesson 05.
Try to keep your pace slow. I also get faster and faster along with anxiety attack as the piece goes too long. haha
I tried iphone to record playing. You definitely need A MICROPHONE for it. Result was pretty bad because it sound so light and scratchy.
One more thing, you posted a wrong submission D minor scale instead of Slurs excercise #19.
Great job! :bye:
Ken

Cordoba ✯❈C12❈✯Spruce

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”