Scott Tennant's thumb under tremolo technique

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
musikai

Re: Scott Tennant's thumb under tremolo technique

Post by musikai » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:41 am

I can understand that the thumb under style might be convenient for pami tremolo and that some players got used to it but I wouldn't ever start to practise it. Instead develop a relaxed free hand where the thumb can move free and separately from the other fingers. Dmitry Nilovs videos are a great contribution.
Playing tremolo with ami, ima, imi, iai, mam, iami is of huge benefit.
Ortega, don't know why nobody replied to your videos but my impression is that the angle between your forearm and the hand is creating a system of non-movable fingers. It is like you are creating a huge 3-fingered pick (plektrum) that is played with the whole arm instead of single fingers. Does this work with pimi or piami?
Sagreras Gitarrenschule PDF
Free Project: LibreOffice Songbook Architect (LOSA)
See website link

guit-box

Post by guit-box » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:42 pm

musikai wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:41 am
I can understand that the thumb under style might be convenient for pami tremolo and that some players got used to it but I wouldn't ever start to practise it. Instead develop a relaxed free hand where the thumb can move free and separately from the other fingers. Dmitry Nilovs videos are a great contribution.
Playing tremolo with ami, ima, imi, iai, mam, iami is of huge benefit.
Ortega, don't know why nobody replied to your videos but my impression is that the angle between your forearm and the hand is creating a system of non-movable fingers. It is like you are creating a huge 3-fingered pick (plektrum) that is played with the whole arm instead of single fingers. Does this work with pimi or piami?
I agree with your analysis on both accounts. I think the reason some favor doing pami tremolo like Scott Tennant does with the thumb going under the index finger is because they prefer to keep their wrist straighter and approaching the strings at an approximate 45 deg angle to the string. Not everyone is comfortable turning their wrist so the fingers are perpendicular to the strings like John Williams or Dmitry Nilov are do. There are many great players who play tremolo successfully with the thumb going under the index.
An eyewitness will often only see what he already believes to be true.

guit-box

Post by guit-box » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:49 pm

Incredible thumb under tremolo slow motion

Search this to see the full speed video
Barrios 'Una Limosna Por El Amor De Dios' played by Jennifer Kim (2005 Edmund Blochinger)

guit-box

Post by guit-box » Wed May 09, 2018 1:32 pm

Jorge Cabellaro's tremolo has less swing space sharing between the thumb and index, but his index does go under the thumb like Tennant's does when he's playing on one string, it just does so less. See 7:02 minute. He has an interesting hand position for tremolo that I previously thought was not possible, he tilts his whole forearm (supination) so the little finger is closer to the soundboard, but maintains a straight wrist (unlike Nilov or Williams who both turn the wrist towards the bridge). A lot of young players such as the Beijing Guitar Duo use this supinated wrist/forearm position.

guit-box

Post by guit-box » Mon May 14, 2018 7:26 pm

The thumb going under the fingers for tremolo seems to be much more common than I originally thought. It looks as if the m finger is the stopper for the thumb and many people will momentarily rest or touch the m with the thumb before the thumb returns. Here's a tremolo tutorial with another thumb-under player.

Ortega

Post by Ortega » Fri May 18, 2018 12:53 pm

I was wrong about something crucial. Please see my apology and amendment here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=120108

guit-box

Post by guit-box » Sun May 27, 2018 10:38 pm

Here's a really great pima (reverse fingering) tremolo. I've seen people demonstrating various alternative fingerings for tremolo, but have never seen anyone using pima for their default tremolo fingering. See around 4:25 min for a closeup of the right hand.

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”