Martinez guitars

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
johnvsavage

Re: Martinez guitars

Post by johnvsavage » Thu May 31, 2018 12:28 am

I've tried the Madrid, Munich and Hauser 'Martinez' professional models at the Acoustic Centre in South Melbourne. These are branded as Katoh and distributed by Lamberti's in Australia.

Of these, the Hauser copy had good volume and had the most even, lovely tone across the scale. Munich I rated second however it might just be the guitars I tried. In Singapore, two weeks earlier, I had compared the Torres and the Munich and found I preferred the Munich for it bigger sound and richer tones. Martinez also make a DF69 Daniel Friederich copy which I understand is very good indeed - it has a raised fingerboard and extra fret and sells for a comparable price.

I purchased the Hauser copy. It's 64cm scale length, slightly smaller body than usual and also has beautiful flamed maple back and sides. It makes a nice change from my Contreras doble tapas 1985 and my Khono-Sakurai Proj J 2010.

I think Martinez (Katoh) offer some of the best value out there - we are talking USD 1200-1300 for very good guitars.

fyi: The Moller duo play Godoy double tops (Godoy II)- Godoy being Martinez's lead luthier. These sell for around USD 4000-5000, a a small fraction of what you pay for hand made guitars of this quality made in the West.

Adam

Post by Adam » Thu May 31, 2018 3:20 am

Are these available in the US?

johnvsavage

Post by johnvsavage » Thu May 31, 2018 7:49 am

I don't think they sell as Martinez in USA if at all. 'Martinez is mainly for Europe and Asia, Katoh for Australia. Kenny Hill is a cofounder of Martinez Guitars (Guangzhou) along with Alex Wang and a German guitar aficianado who provides the woods. Kenny Hill is also with Cordoba who produce a similar series in the USA but at 2 or 3 times the price. I don't know if Cordoba get any guitars any made by Martinez. You could buy from Australia. Rick Faulkner (guitarcentre.com.au - note spelling of 'centre') mainly deals in collectors guitars and high end new guitars and he deals internationally. Rick has a Katoh DF69 i.e Martinez's Daniel Friederich 1969 copy for AUD 1995 ~ USD 1500. I think that would be a beauty. You can talk with Rick who tries all his guitars. The acoustic centre in South Melbourne (acousticcentre.com.au) has the Munich & Madrid models under the Katoh label both selling around AUD1700 (USD1275) before discount and also the Hauser with flamed maple back and sides for AUD $2100 (USD1575). They can usually do 10% discount off these prices if you ask - I got the Hauser for AUD1900 = USD1425). Depending on shipping and US duty/taxes it could be well worthwhile.

Adam

Post by Adam » Thu May 31, 2018 3:23 pm

Thanks for the response. I've always thought the Cordoba Master stuff was over-priced. I'm not really in the market for a new guitar but I'd buy that DF69 at $1500. Can't do it at the moment, but I'm definitely going to look into this when I have some cash to drop ...

johnvsavage

Post by johnvsavage » Thu May 31, 2018 10:52 pm

Check out their websites - remember they're branded Katoh guitars in Australia 1 AUD = 0.75 USD at the moment. I expect they are very similar in quality to the Cordoba master series - the materials used and quality of build is very high They are not sold in the USA as the Cordobas would lose out greatly. I was looking on line lat night at a Hauser I with flamed maple B and Ss and a modern one made by Hauser III and his daughter. They look very similar - even the tuners.
Cheers

johnvsavage

Post by johnvsavage » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:15 am

I own a Martinez Hauser from their professional series (it's branded Katoh here in Australia.). The standard of workmanship and quality is superb and unsurpassed for such a reasonable price (US$1500 after discount). The Hauser model, I felt, was superior to the Madrid, Torres and Munich models which I also tried. The flamed maple back and sides is absolutely stunning and subtly changes the tone colour. It has a very even high quality and beautiful tone across the fretboard. I believe Cordoba makes a very similar series for the US market and as a result the Martinez are not marketed there - maybe because the Martinez series would seriously undercut the Cordoba models in price (and Kenny Hill is heavily involved in both brands). Someone in Canada is retailing the full Martinez range online with low cost shipping - so check that site out if you're in the USA. I am very interested in the DF69 as I only heard rave reviews and been impressed by videos samples- it has a raised fingerboard and is based on a Daniel Friederich 1969 classic. Daniel Friederich is undoubtedly one of the greatest luthiers ever so we have to consider that.

Guero

Post by Guero » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:59 pm

I `ve just found out that luthier Carsten Kobs from Hamburg has established a cooperation with Martinez. There are Kobs by Martinez guitars available. The models are: Torres, Hauser, Professional, Granada.
Interesting guitars!
Have a look at tirando.guitars.de
Greetings, Güero.

johnvsavage

Post by johnvsavage » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:06 am

Yes, the Kobs series guitars look just like the profession Martinez series - copies of Hauser, Torres, a Spanish models , a German model etc. & flamed maple back and sides option on the Torres and Hauser. The prices around Euro2800 are very high compared to Australia which has prices closer to Euro1400 but the guitars look exactly the same. The same higher pricing applies in USA for rebadged Martinez in a similar series. It's quite unusual that Australia gets the best deal

Return to “Public Space”