What do you believe are the must purchase cds for classical guitar ?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Arash Ahmadi

Re: What do you believe are the must purchase cds for classical guitar ?

Post by Arash Ahmadi » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:33 pm

Bream's "Ultimate collection" and "essentials" contains Baroque and 20th cent music. I would recommend Behzad Mirkhani's "70 minutes with guitar romances" for romantic works.
To send light into the darkness of men's heart, such is the duty of the artist. (Robert Schumann)

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:29 pm

Not classical guitar specifically, but related. Any of the Alicia De Larrocha CD's playing Granados or Albeniz.
Amalio Burguet 1A Spruce
Takamine C-132S

chiral3

Post by chiral3 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:38 pm

I'l throw this one on because I didn't see if mentioned: L'Art de Alexandre Lagoya avec Ida Presti Box Set.
"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect" - Margaret Mitchell

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:21 am

I opt for a less known recording which is tmho extraordinary good and shows the exceptional musical talent of the artist: Tilman Hoppstock, Johann Sebastian Bach, works for guitar. I rarely heard a better Chaconne on guitar. BWV 995, 996, 997 and 1006 are in the same league. Also some less known transcriptions like 1. piano partita BWV 825 are included. Hoppstock has an amazing talent. Some years ago I had the pleasure to meet this wonderful guitarist during the Darmstädter Gitarrentage.
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Tobias Braun, Manuel Ramirez model, torrefied spruce/birds eye maple, 2018
Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Giovanni Tacchi, Daniel Friederich copy, cedar/EIR, 2017

rayian

Post by rayian » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:56 pm

I like to listen to players that compose there own music.
Andrew York and Maxima Pujol come to mind.

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:42 am

robert e wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:42 pm
Sure, we're all talking and sharing and learning here. I was responding to you statement, but speaking about all of us in general.

One thing I should clarify is that premium Spotify streams pay a lot more than free streams, but Spotify's released data is already composited from streams of all types. "Spotify officially reports their average composite per-stream rate to be around $0,006 and $0,0084."* Unsigned artists see a lot more of that than signed artists.

* https://heroic.academy/artist-guide-spo ... -profiles/
I have many albums on Spotify. Spotify is great for me.
Sell CDs? except at concerts it is a just a big headache for Independent artist. Labels close this door.

Altophile

Post by Altophile » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:15 am

goingeasy wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:43 am
Barrueco has recorded Cataluña twice and I can never decide which one I love better. There is no question that he is THE master Albéniz interpreter. Jason Vieaux Sevilla album is also an amazing Albéniz cd. Barrueco Villa-Lobos IS amazing!
+1 for Jason Vieaux's Sevilla album. His playing and that georgeous guitar sound wonderful!

Altophile

Post by Altophile » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:19 am

chiral3 wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:38 pm
I'l throw this one on because I didn't see if mentioned: L'Art de Alexandre Lagoya avec Ida Presti Box Set.
+1, L'Art de is an excellent collection, and Lagoya throws in effects that most others don't with certain pieces, e.g. his performance of Weiss' famous Passacailia.

edcat7

Post by edcat7 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:08 am

This internet technology is way above my head and so listen to vinyl and occasionally cd.

This morning I received "The Sound of Spain". It features 19 pieces from 19 different guitars from influential guitar makers from 1839 to present day. The guitars come from the Granary Collection and played by David Merrin. A definite must have.
Remember Anthony Weller, please help. Contact myself or Aaron Green for details.

Muggins Simoon

Post by Muggins Simoon » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:20 pm

Other contenders:
Manuel Barrueco-Cuba
Mysterious Habitats-Dusan Bogdanovic
Dance of the Angel-Slava Grygoryan
Paris Buenos Aries-Evegeny Beleninov
Max Reger- Works Arranged for Guitar- Laura Young
The Goldberg Variations for Guitar-Kurt Rodarmer
1995 Richard Schneider (USA)
1998 Christopher Dean (England)
2000 Otto Vowinkel (Netherlands)
2011 Mathieu Trepanier (Canada)
1979 Dauphin 40 (Japan)

noobrak

Post by noobrak » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:53 pm

The following 2 albums rank high in my list:

John Williams - From the Jungles of Paraguay - Favourite tracks: Maxixe and Sueno en la Floresta
David Russell Plays Bach

Dave

Post by Dave » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:10 pm

The Segovia Collection Vol.3, My Favorite Works.
Dave

KestrelPi

Post by KestrelPi » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:45 am

LukeMarsden wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:56 pm
Without doubt the finest "album" of classical guitar is:

Julian Bream
Guitar Recital: J.S Bach
EMI Music 1993

Stunning detail in everything
I'm inclined to agree. The only disadvantage to this recording is that it brings the work to life so much that I now find myself vaguely disappointed with other interpretations of Bach on Guitar.

There's a tendency to treat Bach as a technical exercise, because it's an easy thing to play like an intricate machine, with its interwoven lines and rhythmic style. So you get a lot of players who will play these works with little variation in dynamics, tempo and tone, and often attempting to go as fast as possible. But this is the collection that really sold me on Bach as living music.

goingeasy

Post by goingeasy » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:07 pm

Jason Vieaux: Sevilla (the works of Albeniz) is amazing!! While I do like Barrueco's Albeniz maybe a tad more, he has not recorded as many Albeniz pieces as Jason has. Christopher Parkening's In the Spanish Style (the CD) is an amazing compilation of nearly all his recordings by Spanish composers or non-Spaniards composing in the Spanish Style. Love Bream's Baroque Guitar and all of his recording dedicated to Bach (A Bach Recital for Guitar on Westminster label , J.S. Bach: Lute Suites No. 1 & 2 on RCA and J.S. Bach: Guitar Recital on EMI). I really like Barrueco's Bach recordings as well.

Karen

Post by Karen » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:45 pm

Buried under the “Classical Guitar Concerts, Competitions, and Conventions” section is a little visited sub-forum of “Classical Guitar CDs and DVDs” It is worth keeping an occasional eye on this part of the forum to spot more recent works available. I bought “Latin American Guitar Favourites”, played by Warren Nicholson, from a recommendation on this site. Ignorance knows no age and I wanted an introduction into some of the music talked about on this forum. I didn’t actually buy the CD but got the iTunes version which works well for my circumstances. BTW I am more than happy with this album and play it a lot, though it took me a while to warm up to some of the more modern music, like Leo Brouwer’s. I must be stuck in the 19th century.

Return to “Public Space”