Does anyone else NOT like performing?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
crazyrach97

Re: Does anyone else NOT like performing?

Post by crazyrach97 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:32 pm

Evocacion wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:41 pm

When I'm playing alone I find that I am far less concious of the errrors I make. If I play a wrong note, I just play the right one, and carry on.
Big mistake. When you're practicing something you actually intend to perform you have to learn how to make a mistake and keep playing. Onstage you can't "correct" a wrong note. That note is gone, and you're never going to get it back. You have to just go on to the next one.

I'm probably not as advanced a classical player as you are, but when I learn a piece I'll literally sit and play it over and over for three or four hours at a stretch. Nothing else, just that piece, stopping to work over any problem areas. Until i can play it over and over without making mistakes. That's the secret.

dkha

Post by dkha » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:53 pm

Yeah, I am not a big fan of performing. I always get nervous and get cold and clammy hands, which do not help my ability to play.

mvp019a

Post by mvp019a » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:23 am

A few thoughts having read through the thread.

1) I agree about playing through a mistake, although that is not the same as stopping and working on the troublesome part to prevent the mistake. What I have found is that when I know a piece really well, the mistakes don't matter as much, inasmuch as they don't stick out as bad because I am able to recover and keep going without stopping. Kind of like the difference between stumbling while running and using agility to keep going as opposed to falling down or stopping to prevent falling.

2) To get to that point, knowing the piece so well on both the conscious (cerebral cortex) and sub-conscious (cerebellum) level is key. When I pick up my guitar having not played it in a very long time, I am sometimes amazed that my fingers are going to places without me thinking about it, almost like I am watching myself play, because the cerebellum has the program stored. Problem is, once I stumble, I lose my way almost immediately, and once I begin the consciously think about it, I literally cannot play a section that I only played 30 seconds earlier, and have to look at the music and start to consciously remember the notes. In order to perform, I think you must have seeped in the piece at both levels; the conscious where you know every note, every measure in detail, as well as have the cerebellar program to carry you through and be heading places with your fingers before you are even consciously aware. This allows you to continue even when distracted by the thoughts of "all those eyes".

3) Sort of to that point, I remember seeing Michael Lorimer perform when I was in college in the late 70s. He was very engaging and spoke to the audience about the piece, the Baroque guitar he was playing, etc. But when he began playing, he went to a different place...to the point where when he finished, it was literally like he was coming out of a trance...it took him a full second or 2 to sort of wake up or return. That really made an impression on me.

I have pretty terrible performance anxiety, but I believe I can learn to get past it. It's a lot like public speaking; the better you know the source material, the less concerned you are about making mistakes because you really KNOW what you are talking about, as opposed to merely having memorized it. Memorizing a piece is not the same as knowing it (point 2 above) - just the same as memorizing the Italian-English dictionary will not allow you to speak Italian.

Adrian Allan

Post by Adrian Allan » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:33 pm

There are many excellent pieces of advice here

The problem is, with music making for most of the public consisting of watching once-a year stadium gigs or listening to tracks on a phone, there are fewer than ever opportunities for aspiring musicians to develop confidence by working up the gig circuit - especially in guitar.

I still have it, but overcame some of it by playing night after night in restaurants and at weddings, etc.
D'Ammassa Spruce/Spruce Double Top

BrianTakamine

Post by BrianTakamine » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:25 am

Good points, Tom. That is reason enough for me to hook up with a local teacher. I can play my music, but in practice. To perform it however, is truly a higher level.

Return to “Public Space”