Augustine Prima SP-S.,.any experiences?

Laudiesdad69
Posts: 2000
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:16 pm

Augustine Prima SP-S.,.any experiences?

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:23 pm

I was looking at the Strings by Mail site. SBM has instruments for sale, and I was wondering if anyone has experience with Augustine guitars. In particular I am looking at the Prima SP-S. It solid rosewood b/s, spruce top. 650mm scale with 52mm nut. Finger board looks like ebony in the picture, but could just be dark rosewood. Comes with a case. New price is $699.00. Any info on this guitar is appreciated. I wonder where its made.

astro64
Posts: 838
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:43 pm
Location: American Southwest

Re: Augustine Prima SP-S.,.any experiences?

Post by astro64 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:37 am

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:23 pm
I was looking at the Strings by Mail site. SBM has instruments for sale, and I was wondering if anyone has experience with Augustine guitars. In particular I am looking at the Prima SP-S. It solid rosewood b/s, spruce top. 650mm scale with 52mm nut. Finger board looks like ebony in the picture, but could just be dark rosewood. Comes with a case. New price is $699.00. Any info on this guitar is appreciated. I wonder where its made.
I seem to recall there might be some videos with Jorge Caballero playing these guitars. That may not help much but it may give an indication of the sound.

User avatar
Justfun
Posts: 885
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:58 pm
Location: New York Queens

Re: Augustine Prima SP-S.,.any experiences?

Post by Justfun » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:39 am

Yes Jorge is playing this guitar on some of his videos.

Fred
Richard Reynoso, Cypress \ Spruce 2016
Lozano Spruce 2001
Inofuentes 1997

Laudiesdad69
Posts: 2000
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:16 pm

Re: Augustine Prima SP-S.,.any experiences?

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:44 am

Justfun wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:39 am
Yes Jorge is playing this guitar on some of his videos.

Fred
I have seen one of him doing Asturias with that guitar. Does anybody know what the fingerboard is made of?

Lovemyguitar
Posts: 3046
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:50 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Augustine Prima SP-S.,.any experiences?

Post by Lovemyguitar » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:46 pm

These guitars are made in China (PRC). The fingerboard looks very brown on my screen, like rosewood (you'd think if it were ebony, they'd say so!). If you've not seen it, the Augustine website has a lot more pictures of the guitars, but no further description than what is on the SBM site.

You could just email or phone SBM and ask them (or email Augustine)!

Laudiesdad69
Posts: 2000
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:16 pm

Re: Augustine Prima SP-S.,.any experiences?

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:13 pm

Lovemyguitar wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:46 pm
These guitars are made in China (PRC). The fingerboard looks very brown on my screen, like rosewood (you'd think if it were ebony, they'd say so!). If you've not seen it, the Augustine website has a lot more pictures of the guitars, but no further description than what is on the SBM site.

You could just email or phone SBM and ask them (or email Augustine)!
I will give SBM a call.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”