USB recording microphone

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
UKsteve

Re: USB recording microphone

Post by UKsteve » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:16 pm

I used to have a pair of Neumann KM184s, booms stands, and an outboard mic preamp etc etc.
It was a right royal PITA to set up and I got distracted by all of the editing I could do etc.

In the end I moved to an iPad and Apogee Mic. It takes minutes to set up, I am far happier with my recordings, and it costs far less.
The fideity of the Apogee is excellent for the price - it's a very well made piece of kit.

konstantine

Post by konstantine » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:40 pm

Guitarist2k18 wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:22 pm
Thanks. It's just way more expensive than the CAD U37. Worth the $200+?
I haven't tried the CAD, but the Apogee Mic+ is a very fine solution at a very decent price if you consider the quality.

Konstantine

MIoutdoorguy

Post by MIoutdoorguy » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:21 pm

I use a Zoom H1 to record practice sessions, and one can also plug it into a computer to use as a USB mic. It is easy to use, and I like the sound quality.
MIoutdoorguy

Guitarist2k18

Post by Guitarist2k18 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:40 pm

Thanks everyone for your helpful replies.

Nick, I got Audacity. Is EQ more important than normalization? It seems noise reduction is an absolute must. Which areas do you suggest I focus on?

Steve Ganz
Luthier

Post by Steve Ganz » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:47 am

I use a Blue Yeti USB mic. It's good enough to hear what you are doing. I plug it into my (windows) laptop and record myself or my trio (all guitars). I use Audacity for editing, but not much for effects or filters. I do "normalize". I record mainly for my own learning and feedback. I have to use the laptop without the charger attached, because it causes electrical interference.
Steve

Nick Cutroneo

Post by Nick Cutroneo » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:42 pm

Guitarist2k18 wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:40 pm
Thanks everyone for your helpful replies.

Nick, I got Audacity. Is EQ more important than normalization? It seems noise reduction is an absolute must. Which areas do you suggest I focus on?
The mic is probably too far away. If you are using a USB mic you need to mic pretty close up as USB mics are usually meant for voices, not projection of instruments. It's one of the drawbacks.

I do 0 noise reduction on my videos. I have the mic around 1-2 feet in front of me.
Nick Cutroneo - Classical Guitarist, performer/teacher/suzuki instructor

Judy Verbeeten
Student of the online lessons

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Tue May 01, 2018 12:48 am

Konstantine, thank you for this excellent overview of some mainstream USB recording microphones. I was going to go with the Blue Yeti microphone, but upon further reflection, I think the Apogee MIC + is the ideal choice for me. I am attracted to its seamless integration with my iphone.

From what I can gather from this and other discussions, the quality of the video from one's iphone compares favorably with video from dedicated video cameras. And if an individual uses the plug-and-play Apogee MIC + with their iphone, then there is immediate coordination of audio and video.

I hope I am correct on this point. The integration of Apogee MIC + with the iphone seems to be one of its promotional selling points. I am looking for reasonable audio and video with minimal clutter and hassles. Do you have any comments on iphone (video) use with the audio from the Apogee MIC +?

konstantine

Post by konstantine » Thu May 10, 2018 9:36 am

Judy Verbeeten wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 12:48 am
Konstantine, thank you for this excellent overview of some mainstream USB recording microphones. I was going to go with the Blue Yeti microphone, but upon further reflection, I think the Apogee MIC + is the ideal choice for me. I am attracted to its seamless integration with my iphone.

From what I can gather from this and other discussions, the quality of the video from one's iphone compares favorably with video from dedicated video cameras. And if an individual uses the plug-and-play Apogee MIC + with their iphone, then there is immediate coordination of audio and video.

I hope I am correct on this point. The integration of Apogee MIC + with the iphone seems to be one of its promotional selling points. I am looking for reasonable audio and video with minimal clutter and hassles. Do you have any comments on iphone (video) use with the audio from the Apogee MIC +?
You are right, the Mic+ would take over the audio duties when you are capturing video with your iPhone. A very simple and elegant solution!

Let me know how it works for you.

Konstantine

Judy Verbeeten
Student of the online lessons

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Thu May 10, 2018 1:45 pm

Thanks again Konstantine for the succinct, but very helpful review on USB recording microphones. Yes, I took the plunge and purchased the Apogee MIC Plus and it works really well with my iphone and/or ipad. It's not inexpensive, but I love it - compact but with good audio - and as you say, a very simple and elegant solution.

Now if only my guitar playing could justify the purchase!

Judy

ode_to_bacchus

Post by ode_to_bacchus » Fri May 18, 2018 12:02 am

konstantine wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:59 am
Check out the Apogee Mic+:

Fantastic recommendation Konstantine. Thank you.

rg.2714

Post by rg.2714 » Sun May 27, 2018 7:57 pm

This is what I use ----Guitar To USB Interface Link Audio Cable Adapter Connector Instrument for PC/MAC Computer Recording, USB Guitar Link ---- (you can search it on Amazon) if your guitar has the connection you can plug your guitar directly to it or you can plug in any microphone if it has the same input as the device.

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”