USB recording microphone

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
UKsteve

Re: USB recording microphone

Post by UKsteve » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:16 pm

I used to have a pair of Neumann KM184s, booms stands, and an outboard mic preamp etc etc.
It was a right royal PITA to set up and I got distracted by all of the editing I could do etc.

In the end I moved to an iPad and Apogee Mic. It takes minutes to set up, I am far happier with my recordings, and it costs far less.
The fideity of the Apogee is excellent for the price - it's a very well made piece of kit.

konstantine

Post by konstantine » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:40 pm

Guitarist2k18 wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:22 pm
Thanks. It's just way more expensive than the CAD U37. Worth the $200+?
I haven't tried the CAD, but the Apogee Mic+ is a very fine solution at a very decent price if you consider the quality.

Konstantine

MIoutdoorguy

Post by MIoutdoorguy » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:21 pm

I use a Zoom H1 to record practice sessions, and one can also plug it into a computer to use as a USB mic. It is easy to use, and I like the sound quality.
MIoutdoorguy

Guitarist2k18

Post by Guitarist2k18 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:40 pm

Thanks everyone for your helpful replies.

Nick, I got Audacity. Is EQ more important than normalization? It seems noise reduction is an absolute must. Which areas do you suggest I focus on?

Steve Ganz
Luthier

Post by Steve Ganz » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:47 am

I use a Blue Yeti USB mic. It's good enough to hear what you are doing. I plug it into my (windows) laptop and record myself or my trio (all guitars). I use Audacity for editing, but not much for effects or filters. I do "normalize". I record mainly for my own learning and feedback. I have to use the laptop without the charger attached, because it causes electrical interference.
Steve

Nick Cutroneo

Post by Nick Cutroneo » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:42 pm

Guitarist2k18 wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:40 pm
Thanks everyone for your helpful replies.

Nick, I got Audacity. Is EQ more important than normalization? It seems noise reduction is an absolute must. Which areas do you suggest I focus on?
The mic is probably too far away. If you are using a USB mic you need to mic pretty close up as USB mics are usually meant for voices, not projection of instruments. It's one of the drawbacks.

I do 0 noise reduction on my videos. I have the mic around 1-2 feet in front of me.
Nick Cutroneo - Classical Guitarist, performer/teacher/suzuki instructor

Judy Verbeeten

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Tue May 01, 2018 12:48 am

Konstantine, thank you for this excellent overview of some mainstream USB recording microphones. I was going to go with the Blue Yeti microphone, but upon further reflection, I think the Apogee MIC + is the ideal choice for me. I am attracted to its seamless integration with my iphone.

From what I can gather from this and other discussions, the quality of the video from one's iphone compares favorably with video from dedicated video cameras. And if an individual uses the plug-and-play Apogee MIC + with their iphone, then there is immediate coordination of audio and video.

I hope I am correct on this point. The integration of Apogee MIC + with the iphone seems to be one of its promotional selling points. I am looking for reasonable audio and video with minimal clutter and hassles. Do you have any comments on iphone (video) use with the audio from the Apogee MIC +?

konstantine

Post by konstantine » Thu May 10, 2018 9:36 am

Judy Verbeeten wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 12:48 am
Konstantine, thank you for this excellent overview of some mainstream USB recording microphones. I was going to go with the Blue Yeti microphone, but upon further reflection, I think the Apogee MIC + is the ideal choice for me. I am attracted to its seamless integration with my iphone.

From what I can gather from this and other discussions, the quality of the video from one's iphone compares favorably with video from dedicated video cameras. And if an individual uses the plug-and-play Apogee MIC + with their iphone, then there is immediate coordination of audio and video.

I hope I am correct on this point. The integration of Apogee MIC + with the iphone seems to be one of its promotional selling points. I am looking for reasonable audio and video with minimal clutter and hassles. Do you have any comments on iphone (video) use with the audio from the Apogee MIC +?
You are right, the Mic+ would take over the audio duties when you are capturing video with your iPhone. A very simple and elegant solution!

Let me know how it works for you.

Konstantine

Judy Verbeeten

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Thu May 10, 2018 1:45 pm

Thanks again Konstantine for the succinct, but very helpful review on USB recording microphones. Yes, I took the plunge and purchased the Apogee MIC Plus and it works really well with my iphone and/or ipad. It's not inexpensive, but I love it - compact but with good audio - and as you say, a very simple and elegant solution.

Now if only my guitar playing could justify the purchase!

Judy

ode_to_bacchus

Post by ode_to_bacchus » Fri May 18, 2018 12:02 am

konstantine wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:59 am
Check out the Apogee Mic+:

Fantastic recommendation Konstantine. Thank you.

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”