Inquiry about scoring programs.

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
cadiz

Re: Inquiry about scoring programs.

Post by cadiz » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:48 am

prawnheed wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:38 am
It is now easier and built in.
Thanks for the precision. New feature in the sens "built in", indeed. And so, easier.

sxedio

Post by sxedio » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:59 pm

prawnheed wrote:
To do what he wants ie play the score into Musescore in real time, he needs the MIDI in feature. That's been there for a long time.
The feature that has been there for a long time is step mode midi entry, not real time playing entry. And even then, it was single voice with no option to move notes to the other voices. This option to move notes to other voices appeared in Musescore 2, and there are various new modes to bridge the gap between old style step mode and real time entry. I haven't kept up with the very latest versions, but you definitely cannot claim real time MIDI in was supported for a long time.
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)

prawnheed

Post by prawnheed » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:11 pm

sxedio wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:59 pm
prawnheed wrote:
To do what he wants ie play the score into Musescore in real time, he needs the MIDI in feature. That's been there for a long time.
The feature that has been there for a long time is step mode midi entry, not real time playing entry. And even then, it was single voice with no option to move notes to the other voices. This option to move notes to other voices appeared in Musescore 2, and there are various new modes to bridge the gap between old style step mode and real time entry. I haven't kept up with the very latest versions, but you definitely cannot claim real time MIDI in was supported for a long time.
I guess it depends on what you mean by a long time. Real time entry was introduced in version 2.1 which was released about a year ago. Since then various limitations have been lifted.

sxedio

Post by sxedio » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:20 pm

prawnheed wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:11 pm
I guess it depends on what you mean by a long time. Real time entry was introduced in version 2.1 which was released about a year ago. Since then various limitations have been lifted.
Well, we are comparing to Sibelius and Finale here, so I think this is an admission that Musescore is only just now/in the last year, catching up with some of the features they have been supporting for ever and ever.

prawnheed

Post by prawnheed » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:44 pm

sxedio wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:20 pm
prawnheed wrote:
Well, we are comparing to Sibelius and Finale here, so I think this is an admission that Musescore is only just now/in the last year, catching up with some of the features they have been supporting for ever and ever.
Really? "for ever and ever"? That's clearly stretching things a bit far.

Conall

Post by Conall » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:46 pm

Thanks guys, will check it out & get back to you if I can't get it to work!

sxedio

Post by sxedio » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:02 am

prawnheed wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:44 pm
sxedio wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:20 pm
prawnheed wrote:
Really? "for ever and ever"? That's clearly stretching things a bit far.
Well, I've used Sibelius a tiny bit years and years ago(when uni was paying the license) and I've never used Finale. So I'm not inclined to argue in their favour, I quite like Musescore and use it. However I keep having this argument with Musescore fans who are so keen on their software of choice that they overlook its shortcomings and the advantages of other software e.g. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=98373&start=30#p1047227

Shall we settle to 'Sibelius has been supporting it for at least 10 years'?

Dirck Nagy

Post by Dirck Nagy » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:11 pm

cadiz wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:48 pm
Adrian Allan wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:12 pm
For basic stuff, Musescore.
For anything demanding professional layout, Finale, Sibelius or Dorico.
This comment is so caricatural, forgive me.
Obviously, you do not know much about MuseScore, or you do not practice enough to know its incredible potential. Everything is feasible, customizable. For example, the section of historical tabs is better and more complete, and much of it than commercial programs allow.
Think too easily, because the product is free, it would be for basic stuff, and because the paid programs would be better because they are paying, here is a complete mistake!
And perhaps most importantly, MuseScore is an incredible community of members whose help for novices and others, for any question, is near real-time and of high quality.
MuseScore is a program of professional quality, and a help provided by volunteers of a professional quality as well!
Ah, cadiz...you are MuseScore's biggest fan!

Sure, MuseScore works great. It is pretty good. It works great for notating most solo guitar or piano music. It is also free. All points in its favor. Werner, Nicolas, and Thomas have done a fantastic job.

I hesitate to post anything negative about MuseScore since I use my real name here, but I'm not so enthusiastic about the work of certain later "developers". On the help forum, one has to be willing to negotiate with aggressive "developers" who will argue with you about what "real music" is. Many MuseScore users display a certain amount of cult-like devotion to this program. I admit I once felt this way, partly due to my distaste for Finale.

My bottom line: If you are new to music notation, or doing basic stuff, MuseScore is a good choice, especially since you don't have to pay a lot for it. The learning curve is relatively gentle.

I use Lilypond with Denemo as an interface now. Also free, but a bit more difficult to learn.

cheers!

J. Herman

Post by J. Herman » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:37 am

Since my post inquiring about software I went ahead with Musescore so I could get a start. I have posted posted 3 scores that weren't too difficult to get transferred. Feel free to check them out under J. Herman on the Musescore site. Anyone who happens to like them has my permission to use them as they see fit. The only thing I would ask is seek permission for recording purposes but for students or personal performance purposes have at it and enjoy. I do play the pieces myself so I went the extra mile to include the fingerings that I use to make them easier. The only thing I don't care for so far is the play back feature. I hope my tunes don't sound like a computer generated generic drone. The pieces I do have posted are for the more advanced player. I just completed a collection of 12 Pieces so my main focus right now is getting those scored first. Shepard's Bliss was written about the mindset of a German Shepard puppy. Sunday Morning Coffee sort of speaks for itself. The Floater is one of my favorites in the collection. It was inspired by an eye floater i had a while back. Anyway, check them out if you're looking for any new material. Thank you all for valuable input once again.

bert

Post by bert » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:24 am

J. Herman wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:37 am
The only thing I would ask is seek permission for recording purposes but for students or personal performance purposes have at it and enjoy.
I don't know if the Musescore site has copyright rules, but you could add some copyright text on the scores. Maybe use a creatieve commons license.

J. Herman

Post by J. Herman » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:17 pm

Hey Bert. When you begin a new score on the Musescore site there is a date of copywrite space to fill in along with the title file so you are protected accordingly. They actually have a pretty nice set up.

Jouni Stenroos

Post by Jouni Stenroos » Fri May 18, 2018 12:15 pm

FYI, regarding Musescore and copyright issues... a few years back the program author was maintaining a site called pianofiles.com that worked a bit like Napster but shared scores instead of mp3s. There was an online petition against it and I followed closely one online publisher having a hard time trying to do something about the site. The site seems to be closed now, but at least for me that was enough to keep my fingers off Musescore. Doesn't matter if it is free or not.

Here is more in depth discussion about the subject:

https://vi-control.net/community/thread ... com.30443/

-Jouni
Learn Finnish, part 1:
ice-cream cornet: jäätelötötterö

Return to “Composers' Workshop”