The "Thump" when recording...it's everywhere but how to get rid of it?

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
rpavich

Re: The "Thump" when recording...it's everywhere but how to get rid of it?

Post by rpavich » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:27 pm

Well that solved it!
I changed speakers and it went away. I guess whatever is wrong with that speaker set is what's been bugging me!

Thanks for helping. I'm glad now that I know my own recordings don't actually have that thump in them. :)
Asturias AST-100-heavily modified by Robert England.

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:52 pm

rpavich wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:27 pm
Well that solved it!
I changed speakers and it went away. I guess whatever is wrong with that speaker set is what's been bugging me!

Thanks for helping. I'm glad now that I know my own recordings don't actually have that thump in them. :)
are you sure?
please show your recording - and then people will tell you if there is a TRUMP IN IT OR NOT!! :D

rpavich

Post by rpavich » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:58 pm

AndreiKrylov wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:52 pm
rpavich wrote:
Well that solved it!

are you sure?
please show your recording - and then people will tell you if there is a TRUMP IN IT OR NOT!! :D
I'm sure, I just played on the alternate speakers...no thump. So no thump on any of the posted recordings after changing speakers.

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:03 pm

rpavich wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:58 pm
AndreiKrylov wrote:
rpavich wrote:
Well that solved it!

are you sure?
I'm sure, I just played on the alternate speakers...no thump. So no thump on any of the posted recordings after changing speakers.
well.. but .. I know for sure there is no THuump in their recordings .. but I am not sure about yours.. - please post it.. then everybody will be sure..

rpavich

Post by rpavich » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:05 pm

AndreiKrylov wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:03 pm
rpavich wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:58 pm
AndreiKrylov wrote:

are you sure?
well.. but .. I know for sure there is no THuump in their recordings .. but I am not sure about yours.. - please post it.. then everybody will be sure..
Possibly when I sound better but not at the moment.. :)

Trust me...no thump but playing that is a bit painful to listen to.

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:14 am

I think I hear what you mean. I'd call it a slight 'honkiness'. If it's not just the sound of the guitar I'd guess it's the room. Maybe reflections from the floor/walls? I just bought a guitar partly for exactly this reason, that the basses are mellow and tuneful and not thumpy or hard. But for those videos if you hadn't mentioned it I wouldn't have noticed.

Do you happen to know where can I get hold of the dots for 'Wild Mountain Thyme'? Is this a particular arrangement?

rpavich

Post by rpavich » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:25 am

PeteJ wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:14 am
I think I hear what you mean. I'd call it a slight 'honkiness'. If it's not just the sound of the guitar I'd guess it's the room. Maybe reflections from the floor/walls? I just bought a guitar partly for exactly this reason, that the basses are mellow and tuneful and not thumpy or hard. But for those videos if you hadn't mentioned it I wouldn't have noticed.

Do you happen to know where can I get hold of the dots for 'Wild Mountain Thyme'? Is this a particular arrangement?
Yes, it's Scott Tennants version; very hard to get, I looked everywhere. I ended up joining Scribd to get a copy. :( and then cancelling.

cefyn

Post by cefyn » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:30 pm

I got my copy (the Scot Tennant arrangement) from GSP - Guitar Solo San Francisco recently. I had it shipped to the UK and it wasn't too expensive.

Cef
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1983 Robert Cross Spruce & IRW

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:50 am

Thanks for the info.

Peter Frary

Post by Peter Frary » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:40 am

I can't hear a thump on any of those recordings, at least not through my Sennheiser HD280 headphones. However, I've heard a low frequency thump on some amateur recordings where the mic was too close and recorded the sound of the finger percussing the string while plucking. You just have to back the mic off and stay away from the sound hole. I like the sound by the bridge or just below it.
I play a Cordoba Mini so I look taller on stage!

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”