New horizons

Stephen

New horizons

Post by Stephen » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:29 pm

Hello, this is my first post. I am 67 years old and live on the South coast of England. I have been playing with the guitar for a number of years, but six weeks ago took the decision to teach myself to play the classical guitar. I am using the Frederick Noad Book 1 this is because I bought the book several years ago but never got around to using it.hehe. There was always some thing else to do. I am allowing myself up to 2 hours a day to practice.As I am now retired from working as a carpenter, I am needing some thing to keep the grey cells working, reading is fine but not creative. Apart from the news and the occasional quiz show I have little interest in T.V. I found this site by chance,I googled Classical Guitar finger tip problems, and was amazed that other players have suffered the same problem, and low and behold I have the solution. I think that having been a manual worker for most of my life do tend to hold the guitar as if it was about to run away from me hence pressing down heavily on the strings.I can not justify spending money on lessons, so much of my technique is through reading or trial and error, however my wife tells me my playing is so much better in 6 weeks.

simonm

Re: New horizons

Post by simonm » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:04 pm

Hi Stephen,

Welcome to the forum.

- Once you have had 2 messages approved by the moderators, you will get access to levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and also be able to post your own scores and recordings.

- To get started please take a look at the new member info here: http://www.classicalguitardelcamp.com/v ... 28&t=36537

- After posting 20 messages, please subscribe to the 020 group. It allows you to download the remaining levels of the Delcamp scores. To subscribe to the 020 group, select the relevant group on the User Groups page and then click on Submit. It may take a day or two to be approved.

- It is useful to put your location into your profile so that people can see where you are located. Just click on your name on the right and then on "edit profile".
Stephen wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:29 pm
... my wife tells me my playing is so much better in 6 weeks.
This is of course very good news. The bad news is when the doors slam somewhere in the house when you play. … :-)

Regards,

Simon

CathyCate

Post by CathyCate » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:16 pm

Welcome Stephen and all the best! Regards to your wife who seems to be an excellent partner in this endeavor.
Cathy
Matthew Chaffin 2014 spruce/quilted maple
Andy Culpepper 2015 bear claw spruce/flamed maple

Steve Ganz
Luthier

Post by Steve Ganz » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:33 am

Welcome. Enjoy and share.
Steve

S.H.Tan
Amateur luthier

Post by S.H.Tan » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:33 pm

Hi Stephen,

Perhaps you can try your hand at building a guitar. Your carpentry skills will come in handy. It's satisfying and addictive. I have experienced it, having just completed my first built 😉

Cheers,
S.H.Tan
http://guitarkumiko.blogspot.com
Yamaha CG151S (1974) (Finish re-applied)
Hashimoto G212 (1978)
Yamaha C310
S.H.Tan#001 (2018) SMC
S.H.Tan#002 (2018) SSC

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Post by Rick Beauregard » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:50 pm

If you can’t get a teacher, I highly recommend the free lessons on this forum to supplement your self study. Preparing and recording your monthly work is very helpful discipline and the social contact with students around the world like you is inspiring.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Annalu Braga

Post by Annalu Braga » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:59 pm

First thing if you don´t have a teacher, don´t force your fingers never. Try to play smoothly, very smoothly.

Return to “Introduce yourself”