Practice on the move!

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Matthew McAllister
Concert performers

Practice on the move!

Post by Matthew McAllister » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:10 pm

A few thoughts on getting in good practice while travelling. It is dead time sitting in buses, trains and planes so figure out a way to use the time effectively.

My Vlogs have been going for a while now and there are all sorts of topics covered, check them out on my channel, they are all short and may help.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 77RlkcsBqc

:-)

Matthew

rpavich

Re: Practice on the move!

Post by rpavich » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:43 pm

Very good thoughts Matthew.

Thanks for taking the time to share this.
Asturias AST-100-heavily modified by Robert England.

CathyCate

Post by CathyCate » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:59 pm

Thanks for posting. I believe!
Cathy
Matthew Chaffin 2014 spruce/quilted maple
Andy Culpepper 2015 bear claw spruce/flamed maple

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:51 pm

Excellent, Matthew! You speak like my teacher. :wink:

Nice subject for a CGR talk.
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Contreras

Post by Contreras » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:27 pm

Excellent ... Thanks for posting!
1929 Francisco Simplicio
1997 Manuel Contreras Doble tapa

rpavich

Post by rpavich » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:51 pm

One small tip though, look at the lens, not yourself. It looks better if you appear to be looking at the person you are talking to.

chiral3

Post by chiral3 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:41 pm

We get really creative in airports to avoid stopping in for a drink sometimes :-) It's 5pm somewhere in the world.
"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect" - Margaret Mitchell

Matthew McAllister
Concert performers

Post by Matthew McAllister » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:36 am

Glad that the musings are proving useful to some people. Any ideas for my next blog? I seem to spend half my life travelling so plenty time on my hands!

DerekB

Post by DerekB » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:42 am

Sixty years ago my mother drew my attention to an article in the Daily Mail which described how Segovia had asked the other passengers in first class on a plane if they minded if he practiced his guitar. It didn't say whether he started with his usual two hours of scales but he played for several hours. Mind you, planes were pretty noisy in those days. Segovia's explanation was that if he missed a day's practice it took him a week to recover.
I've suffered for my music. Now it's your turn... - Seasick Steve

Ana Espinosa 2014 Swiss spruce/IRW
Yulong Guo 2009 640mm scale cedar/IRW

rpavich

Post by rpavich » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:27 am

Matthew McAllister wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:36 am
Glad that the musings are proving useful to some people. Any ideas for my next blog? I seem to spend half my life travelling so plenty time on my hands!
Well, now that you asked...yes.

I'm a beginner and though I have a lot of technical issues, one of the things I lack is real musicality, expressiveness. I feel like there is no life in my pieces. Sure I know what I'm supposed to do...retard, accelerate, softer, harder....but it's not "life"

You, on the other hand, play your pieces like you've lived with them all your life and own them.

A post and demo of taking something simple and making it intensely musical and expressive. Some simple piece that folks here would know but wringing every bit of emotion out of it and explaining your choices.

stratlanta

Post by stratlanta » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:40 pm

Matthew McAllister wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:36 am
You know, one of the things I enjoy about your blog videos (vlogs?) is that you have a way of staying human, if that makes any sense? I am a bit of a YouTube junkie and it can sometimes get frustrating to see so many amazing players on there who seemingly have no difficulty with the pieces they are playing. Intellectually I know that is not the case but emotionally that can be frustrating as someone who is a hobbyist (as I suspect most of us here and on YT are) and struggles to find incremental improvement.

With all that said, I'd be really interested in subjects that speak to players who aren't already on the verge of world-class. How hard you worked to get to where you are with your playing and musicianship, how much work it takes to maintain that, the things that were the biggest "aha" or breakthrough moments as you progressed, where you found incremental improvement or plateaus, etc. I know you've done some of that but I find those kinds of things keep me motivated. They make great players seem less like guitar machines and more human. I mean I have watched Andrea Gonzalez Caballero play Tango en Skai on YT about 1000 times and I know she didn't just wake up playing like that one day..... but sometimes I also want to throw all my guitars into a giant bonfire after watching that and just give up... haha!!!

Geez, that was a lot of words. Sorry!
Last edited by stratlanta on Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stephan Connor SP/MP
Kenneth Brogger SP/AR
Masaki Sakurai "Special" SP/CSAR
Sergio Perez "Segovia" CD/AR

rpavich

Post by rpavich » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:44 pm

stratlanta wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:40 pm

You know, one of the things I enjoy about your blog videos (vlogs?) is that you have a way of staying human, if that makes any sense?
Hahaha I agree.

Also, if I were rich I'd hire Mr. McAllister to do nothing but sit around my mansion and talk or play. He's got a delightful accent and his playing is beautiful.

stratlanta

Post by stratlanta » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:59 pm

rpavich wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:44 pm
stratlanta wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:40 pm

You know, one of the things I enjoy about your blog videos (vlogs?) is that you have a way of staying human, if that makes any sense?
Hahaha I agree.

Also, if I were rich I'd hire Mr. McAllister to do nothing but sit around my mansion and talk or play. He's got a delightful accent and his playing is beautiful.
Haha! "Matthew... oh Matthew... come play something nice for me!!"
Stephan Connor SP/MP
Kenneth Brogger SP/AR
Masaki Sakurai "Special" SP/CSAR
Sergio Perez "Segovia" CD/AR

Smudger5150

Post by Smudger5150 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:26 pm

Well I was thinking about the OP literally - I try and do right hand practise when I go for jog at lunchtime. It's usually p a m i practise for tremolo and I do the pattern against the side of my upper torso (stomach area I guess).
Sounds weird and probably looks weird to passers by but it's my attempt at multi-tasking because I'm usually listening to music on my Fruit-Company mp3 listening device.
And I'll mix it up with different patterns like p i m a then p a m i etc.
But is it a good thing to do or is it going to lead to bad habits?
"Music washes away the dust of every day life." Art Blakey

"If I don’t practice for a day, I know it. If I don’t practice for two days, the critics know it. And if I don’t practice for three days, the public knows it." Louis Armstrong

chiral3

Post by chiral3 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:54 am

Matthew, I think you need to add Green and Golden to your line-up.

I was drawing blank, and it's so familiar: what's the piece you were practicing in Vancouver?
"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect" - Margaret Mitchell

Return to “Public Space”