Falk, Mårten - Skärv - Video

Audio and video recordings of contemporary music from 1940 to the present. Our interpretations of works for which the copyright holders have given their permission.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Composer's surname, forename - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Chobanian, Loris - Maharaja's Fancy - Trio Video
or Pujol, M. D. - Preludio Triston - Video (For more than one forename, just give initials.)
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
RobMacKillop

Falk, Mårten - Skärv - Video

Post by RobMacKillop » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:30 pm

Here's a wonderful new addition to the repertoire of the contemporary guitar. Mårten Falk is a member here, one of the finest guitarists on the scene today, and a composer to boot (so to speak - I'm not suggesting you boot him!).

There are three pages to the score. The first consist of small squares with some notation. I was to cut the page up, shuffle the squares, and play what turned out - a degree of chance was involved. Each time you play it, the squares are in a different order.

The second page consists of very quiet almost free stuff, with just basic instructions, interjected with some loud notes or chords, Bartok pizzicato, etc.

The third page combines straight notes and chords with notes that are bent up a quarter tone.

It's mostly very quiet, so headphones are recommended.

“Skärv consists of shards, splinters and fragments that may, or may not fit together. It describes a melancholy, pessimistic (even destructive) view of the music as remnants of something abandoned and unintelligible.” I'm delighted to report that I am the dedicatee of the work, and this is its first recording.

RobMacKillop

Re: Falk, Mårten - Skärv - Video

Post by RobMacKillop » Wed May 02, 2018 7:59 pm

88 views and not one comment. And here was me thinking it might be a little controversial ;-)

It was fun to play. No requests for the score?

Rick Beauregard
Student of the online lessons

Re: Falk, Mårten - Skärv - Video

Post by Rick Beauregard » Wed May 02, 2018 8:15 pm

Curious: how to protect your copyright on something random?
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Return to “Our recordings of Contemporary music”