Tarrega 12 studies - Study no. 3 in A major

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
bluedemon382

Tarrega 12 studies - Study no. 3 in A major

Post by bluedemon382 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:12 pm

Well...I came to a couple of bitter conclusions after trying to play this etude from start to end for over 3 years now. The given tempo (120 bpm) seems to me an utopia anyway but I can barely play it at 50 bpm which is far away from the 80 bpm "standard" I saw by a couple of youtube performances. I applied the "9 out of 10" strategy measure by measure...so I found a tempo at which I could play a measure perfectly and started from 80% of that speed and tried to play the measure 9 times out of 10 without a single mistake and then increased the tempo by 5%. This improved my performance in some way but although I can play single measures from this etude at 100 bpm without much effort I need half of that tempo to play the whole etude sloppy to say the least. The i finger locks itself if I try to play in tempo for more than a measure and there are other problems too. The lower I get in terms of speed the more I see that I developed bad habits and the fretted fingers 2 and 1 are preventing the 3rd and 4th one to remain raised and relaxed until they have to play those thirds.

I think I lied myself in all those years.... I was working on 2 movements from Bach Cello Suite 1 and Vivaldi Concert in D Major for an admission exam next year but it seems I should go back to the roots and fix the bugs that are keeping me stucked in these rut and don't allow me to get to the next level. What am I doing wrong?

bluedemon382

Re: Tarrega 12 studies - Study no. 3 in A major

Post by bluedemon382 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:08 am

I think I was never aware of it...but from what I read my condition is called focal dystonia...this is why the 4th finger sometimes locks and the i finger from the right hand as well...I mean if I try to play longer passages.

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:44 am

bluedemon382 wrote:The i finger locks itself if I try to play in tempo for more than a measure and there are other problems too.
If at all possible you should seek guidance from an experienced teacher.

It may be that there is a relatively straightforward answer to your problems related to general posture and dysfunctional tension. Your brief description of a locking finger and lack of independent control doesn't immediately sound like focal dystonia - but live observation is to be recommended.

It also sounds as if you have been trying to build technique mainly through playing your chosen repertoire - rather you should spend some time developing the actual mechanical skills required through less complex routines and exercises. Again, a good teacher would be best placed to guide you.

bluedemon382

Post by bluedemon382 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:16 pm

Yes. You're right. I had a teacher once but his technique was ....he was also ... self-taught-ish....or somewhere in between....

I don't know...I guess I should quit...6 years down the road with bad technique....is going to take maybe another 6 years to remove some of the ingrained muscle memory....

bluedemon382

Post by bluedemon382 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:20 pm

Funny thing is that ma works very good maybe even better than im which is absolutely strange.....it seems there is a problem with the i finger. I played very much with Alaska finger picks and other types of finger picks which were wider than my finger width and I instinctively held the i finger with my thumb to prevent the pick from sliding off the finger....I also played 10+ hours a day with a plectrum so I was mainly studying electric guitar....so it's clearly something that has to do with the index finger since it was the finger holding the pick....I mean one of the 2...that held the plectrum....

tcrist

Post by tcrist » Tue May 15, 2018 6:43 pm

You should consult David Leisner about this: davidleisner.com

Visit his site, read his research, write him a note and see what your options are.

Nick Cutroneo

Post by Nick Cutroneo » Tue May 15, 2018 10:30 pm

Bluedemon - the first thing I would do is to get away from the "self diagnosing" thing. I had an issue once with my A and pinky fingering in my RH and if I listened to WebMD I would have needed surgerye/etc... Turned out to be circulation issues that were easily rectifiable.

Second, based off of your descriptions it sounds like you are suffering from dysfunctional tension (as another member stated). IE - as you play you tighten/tense up and have not learned how to rid your body/hands of it while playing. It's something that a good teacher needs to work with you on - a teacher who knows how to deal with those issues.

Finally, I doubt the issue is electric guitar/pick style. I play regularly with a pick and it does not have a negative effect on how my RH functions on classical guitar.

If you want to talk more about it, I'd be more than happy to have a one on one discussion shoot me a PM.
Nick Cutroneo - Classical Guitarist, performer/teacher/suzuki instructor

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”