Classical guitar help

Tito

Classical guitar help

Post by Tito » Fri May 04, 2018 3:17 pm

Hello,

I have been looking at posts and reviews to make a decison or have insights of what to look for when buying my first classical guitar. I have 3 electrics (Gibson, ESP, Ibanez) but only one acoustic. So far from what I have seen and gear in the web my list is: Cordoba C10, Alhambra 7P, Kremora Solea and Prudencio Saez 28. Even when there's not a lot of info on this model from what I see in terms of finish and sound it competes to the above. Since I'm a machinist I have a critical eye for craftmanship and I have seen guitars that I don't know how they ask the money they have in the price tag. For example I saw an Admira that had a price of $800 and the binding was mismatched, rough spots here and there. From all the above models which one will you pick. I'm currently out of the US working and what I have seen locally doesn't appeal to me. I'm just trying to get opinions from actual owners of the models above and hear the pro's and cons. Budget now is around $1-1.5k

doug

Re: Classical guitar help

Post by doug » Fri May 04, 2018 5:33 pm

All strings Nylon Is in the western part of NC. He sells Cordoba & Kenny Hill guitars. I just bought a Kenny Hill Player from him, and the entire buying experience was pleasant.
2017 Jason Wolverton spruce/maple, 640, "Luz Blanca"
2016 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 640, cedar
2015 Kenny Hill Performance 640, C/IR
2017 Kenny Hill Player Cutaway, 640, Sp

Tito

Post by Tito » Fri May 04, 2018 11:23 pm

I found an Alhambra 7p online for $1100.00 and a Prudencio Saez 28 for $920. I think I'll decide for one of those 2. From all the sound samples those are the 2 that my ears like the most.

Tito

Post by Tito » Fri May 18, 2018 2:21 pm

I ended up getting the Alhambra 7p. The guitar plays great. I was amazed that it came with a compensated melamine nut instead of bone like the next model up (9p). So I got a bone/saddle set and replaced them and lowered the action. The G string sounded a bit dull like most nylon G's do. So I ordered a Savarez 527R 3rd string to take care of it. Now is all set! My guitar teacher says that he loves the sound of it because is well balanced and the sustain and note separation is great too.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”