Classical Guitar Soundfont for Musescore or Lilypond

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
DCGillrich

Classical Guitar Soundfont for Musescore or Lilypond

Post by DCGillrich » Thu May 10, 2018 9:35 pm

I put this post earlier in the Public Space forum, but without any bites. So I thought I would post here in case there is more specialized interest.

I have used Lilypond up to now with the Frescobaldi GUI interface, but thought I would try out Musescore 2.2.1. Musescore is great, although Lilypond allows very small adjustments and corrections (usually to avoid note head clashes when the music is complex) not available in Musescore--but you have to know the find detail of how to do these tweaks which involves a steep learning curve for first use.

However, for those of you interested in a good, but free soundfont for classical guitar, I found RealFont_2.1.sf2 gives quite a good sound (and I have tried about a dozen options). You do have to use the treble_8 clef to ensure the pitch is correctly transposed down. RealFont_2.1.sf2 is certainly much better than the default soundfont in Musescore. I have used this soundfont in Lilypond up to now by using the CoolSoft VirtualMIDISynth playback interface. It is a simple matter to copy the soundfont into the "sound" folder in the Musescore directory. It is then available through the menu under 'view/synthesizer'.

Maybe others have found or can suggest even better soundfonts for classical guitar.

Cheers... Richard

PS: Here is a link to an mp3 file exported from Musescore using the RealFont_2.1.sf2 soundfont: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AoU7IRQ6X9csoj3kdEq4Dk-l7_y2. Click on the link to play the file, or right click to download. It gives some idea of the sound. This is an adapted version of Españoleta by Gaspar Sanz (1778—1839) drawing from several sources. Musescore can't handle some features such as chord rolls.

Les Backshall
Luthier

Re: Classical Guitar Soundfont for Musescore or Lilypond

Post by Les Backshall » Thu May 10, 2018 10:28 pm

"Musescore is great, although Lilypond allows very small adjustments and corrections (usually to avoid note head clashes when the music is complex) not available in Musescore"

Yes, you can do that in Musescore.

Les
Lester Backshall, Guitar Maker - Aylesbury UK

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:23 pm

Aha. I really would like a better CG than Musescore offers (who wouldn't?) This one is better although still not great. Some naive questions if you don't mind...

If I install new fonts will they interfere in any way with the existing sounds and presets? Is it easy to install new fonts? I've checked out the realfont information but can't find a demo. Do you know of one?

patspector

Post by patspector » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:24 pm

Try the JNv2.4.sf2 from this site:
https://sites.google.com/site/soundfonts4u/

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:30 pm

Aha. Many thanks.

Return to “Composers' Workshop”