Hello from Brisbane, Australia

Danny_Hahn

Hello from Brisbane, Australia

Post by Danny_Hahn » Mon May 14, 2018 2:07 pm

Hello to everyone. My name is Danny (which is my real name) Like everybody that joins this forum, I have an interest in the guitar. In fact, more than that: I love playing the guitar. I first started playing when I was 28, if memory serves me correctly. I baught my first guitar from a friend at that time, believing it could be a good hobby and a means to relieve stress from working as a teacher in a high school. Had my first lessons from a tutor at a local music store in a small country town. That was back around the mid 1980's, going through the Hal Leonard Guitar Method book by Will Schmid. Enjoyed these early lessons; picking out simple melody lines. Did not like too much the strumming part as I can't sing too well and found playing the chords difficult at that time. It was only when another friend played the famous anonymous Romance that I first got to know the classical guitar. He taught me the first few bars which I learnt to pick very badly by playing the first few bars over and over, each night. This was the time when I was living alone before getting married, having a family etc. I found it intriguing but also frustrating as I could never get past that first barre chord. At least with those simple pieces from the guitar method book and with the help of the tutor I had been making progress, albeit very slowly. However, it was only when I heard the recordings by Nicholas de Angelis that I truly began to love the guitar, and became inspired to practice it like a fanatic. But it still took years of practice and the help of various teachers from different styles to achieve a decent level of proficiency. It became doubly hard as I had to re-learn to play the guitar left-handed due to injuries. But that is another story.

Best wishes to all,

Danny :bye:

oski79

Re: Hello from Brisbane, Australia

Post by oski79 » Mon May 14, 2018 2:16 pm

Welcome to Delcamp!

If you haven't already, please take a moment to read this page for a good rundown on how the forum works, rules, history, etc. You have found a great source of classical guitar knowledge, as we have a wide assortment of members, from beginners to performing artists, with a number of fine teachers, historians, and luthiers. So feel free to ask any questions you might have, but consider using the search function first, as many topics have already been discussed at length.

If you participate in other online forums, you might notice that things can occasionally get rather heated. Delcamp takes great strides to avoid that. Here areMssr. Delcamp’s thoughts on that.

Please note that there is a requirement to post an average of once a month. Members not meeting this standard may have their memberships terminated.

Adding your location to your profile is a nice touch. Many of us have made new friends from doing just that.

Again, welcome to the forum!

Regards,

oski79
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

Danny_Hahn

Post by Danny_Hahn » Wed May 16, 2018 1:41 pm

Thanks for the welcome, Oski. Will read your suggestions and will do my best to provide meaningful and hopefully helpful posts to at least some members.
Regards Danny

Gilded Strings

Post by Gilded Strings » Wed May 16, 2018 9:35 pm

Hi Danny,

I can't believe you had to relearn the guitar left handed! I had to learn how to use the computer mouse with my left had and that took months. It seems normal now but to do that on a guitar is amazing.

Regards,
GS

Paul Janssen

Post by Paul Janssen » Wed May 16, 2018 9:52 pm

Hi Danny,

Welcome to the forum. I enjoyed reading your back story. I agree with GS - it's amazing that you have re-learnt to play left handed. You must really LOVE playing to have achieved that!!

Regards,
Paul (Melbourne)

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Thu May 17, 2018 7:38 am

Hi Danny

Welcome to the forum.

Peter (Sydney)

Danny_Hahn

Post by Danny_Hahn » Fri May 18, 2018 2:28 pm

Thank you everybody for your greetings. Over the weekend or early next week I will try to draft out a copy on just how difficult it had been and the reasons for it, ie neck injuries due to a fall and tendonitis in fingers due to overplaying and pushing myself too hard using a faulty right hand technique, and the lessons I had learnt. Now that I am 61 going on 62, I am not only running out of hands and fingers but also out of time in this mortal world. Thus I am now very careful how I practice and to make sure the same thing does not happen again. Hopefully it might it be of help to others, particularly to people who are in the early stages in playing the classical guitar.
Best wishes and happy playing,
Danny
:merci:

Justfun

Post by Justfun » Fri May 18, 2018 6:33 pm

Welcome Danny.

what guitar are you playing now?
Richard Reynoso, Cypress \ Spruce 2016
Ramirez 4NE, IRW \ Cedar 2011

Danny_Hahn

Post by Danny_Hahn » Sat May 19, 2018 2:42 pm

Thank you also Justfun. I play four different guitars left-handed now, although non are really that special. For classical guitar music, I play usually my Yamaha CG182S, which is a mid-range quality guitar, about $700 or so. It has of course a solid top, spruce but only rosewood veneer for back and sides. Fretboard is ebony. I also use an Admira Seville guitar, made in Spain, which has a solid cedar top, and I use that more for pop and folk music arranged for classical guitar. Also have a flamenco guitar, again nothing special, also a Yahamah, CG182SF, made in China, but still quite a good guitar. Alpine top and lightweight cypress back and sides which gives the guitar more that louder and punchier sound than the classical. Of course, not as good a sound as the more expensive Spanish flamenco guitars. My steel string guitar is a Tanglewood Crossroads parlour guitar. It is smaller than most steal string guitars, but I can play it in classical guitar position, which makes fingerpicking easier for me. It is meant to be made like a 1930's blues guitar, having that dark brown whiskey stained look about it. With it in fact I do play blues as well as some American country and western songs. It is supringly heavy for a small guitar, being made from mahogany, although it's only veneer as well. But fingerstyle Blues sounds good on it, a pick also, but still I find flat picking harder as I have not practiced much with the pick with my left hand. When I was young I used to pick very often when I had been teaching the guitar, when I also used to play the electric guitar as well.

But as I am getter better, and a little richer, I do hope to buy a concert quality classical guitar. But let's see.

Best wishes,
Danny
Last edited by Danny_Hahn on Mon May 21, 2018 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Justfun

Post by Justfun » Sat May 19, 2018 10:29 pm

Thank you Danny
Australia is wonderful country to buy a guitar. I'm sure you can find a luthier that fits musical needs.
We will stay in touch.
Fred
Richard Reynoso, Cypress \ Spruce 2016
Ramirez 4NE, IRW \ Cedar 2011

Danny_Hahn

Post by Danny_Hahn » Sat May 26, 2018 3:58 pm

Thank for all the greetings and to the Aussies.
Best wishes to all of you also,
Danny
:D

Return to “Introduce yourself”