Request: Classical Guitar Pieces for Ramadan

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Wuuthrad

Request: Classical Guitar Pieces for Ramadan

Post by Wuuthrad » Tue May 15, 2018 3:35 am

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for guitar pieces and it composers of Islamic or Middle Eastern music for an upcoming festival where I'll be playing guitar. As this will be a multi-cultural event, I wanted to respectfully include music that reflects the variety of cultural legacy reflected in our local community.

So to that end, I was hoping anyone here might be able point me in the direction of music from the Midde East or Islamic traditions.Thanks in advance!

:pace:
"Music is a higher revelation than philosophy...
[and] is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." Ludwig Van Beethoven

Laudiesdad69

Re: Request: Classical Guitar Pieces for Ramadan

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Tue May 15, 2018 4:32 am

Talk about cutting it close, Ramadan starts tomorrow. Good luck. What day is your performance? Lily Afshar five Persian Ballads might be good to see on YouTube. She uses stick on half frets.

Wuuthrad

Post by Wuuthrad » Tue May 15, 2018 4:55 am

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 4:32 am
Talk about cutting it close, Ramadan starts tomorrow. Good luck. What day is your performance?

It's Saturday, so there's some time. I think I could put together a couple tunes- hopefully there's some stuff with an improvisational nature.

I have one old LP of Turkish music which I could try to work out but that would be only ear. Hopefully there's some sheet music of beginner to intermediate level that someone knows about? Or some good songs?

Ok now I see your recommendation thanks for that I'll go check it out.
[and] is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." Ludwig Van Beethoven

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Tue May 15, 2018 5:07 am

Wuuthrad wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 4:55 am
Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Talk about cutting it close, Ramadan starts tomorrow. Good luck. What day is your performance?

It's Saturday, so there's some time. I think I could put together a couple tunes- hopefully there's some stuff with an improvisational nature.

I have one old LP of Turkish music which I could try to work out but that would be only ear. Hopefully there's some sheet music of beginner to intermediate level that someone knows about? Or some good songs?

Sorry....you didn’t specify beginner to intermediate before. I don’t know of any easy ones.

Wuuthrad

Post by Wuuthrad » Tue May 15, 2018 5:14 am

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 5:07 am
Wuuthrad wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 4:55 am
Laudiesdad69 wrote:

Sorry....you didn’t specify beginner to intermediate before. I don’t know of any easy ones.
No that's fine I watched the first piece and could work something out with the score. Going to grab it-Thanks!

I was intersested in more easier pieces as part of a group session, thinking it would be better.

Wuuthrad

Post by Wuuthrad » Tue May 15, 2018 5:42 am

I found this one here! Traditional Iranian Music, Roshanak Maghsoudlou

viewtopic.php?t=5730

musikai

Post by musikai » Wed May 16, 2018 12:21 pm

Thanks for finding this again!! It is a very nice guitar version of instrumental music. You can see the typical rhythmical style elements of iranian instrumental music in this piece. Great!

Here is one of my favourite persian melodies. It is the vocal piece "Morq e Sahar" (Bird of Dawn)
It is a transcription of a youtube video with Mohammed Reza Shadjarian.
I didn't prepare a special guitar version of it. So for now you can fill in the rhythm by using mostly the A-bass string as you like.
Persisches Volkslied Melodie A-Dur_1.png
Persisches Volkslied Melodie A-Dur_2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sagreras Gitarrenschule PDF
Free Project: LibreOffice Songbook Architect (LOSA)
See website link

Sandaun

Post by Sandaun » Thu May 17, 2018 8:09 am

Better late than never - you might like to look at:
https://archive.org/details/MAQAMANTHOLOGYBOOKPT1

It might be useful.
"I have supposed that he who buys a Method means to learn it." - Ferdinand Sor, Method for Guitar

musikai

Post by musikai » Thu May 17, 2018 9:33 am

Wow, what a great resource! This should be enough for a concert every day during the whole ramadan. :)
Sagreras Gitarrenschule PDF
Free Project: LibreOffice Songbook Architect (LOSA)
See website link

Wuuthrad

Post by Wuuthrad » Thu May 17, 2018 6:49 pm

Many thanks everyone!

markworthi

Post by markworthi » Fri May 18, 2018 2:24 pm

Oops, I'm seeing this a bit late... but, yeah, as the guy above says, "Better late than never!"

Lily Ashfar performs Persian folk music. Here's a really nice one, called "Dokhtareh Boyer Ahmadi". A link to the sheet music is below the video.

Best regards,

Mark

(I didn't notice until now that someone else had already recommended these. But I second that recommendation. :D )

Return to “Public Space”