Buying a new guitar. Give me some ideas - under 15k

LarryATahoe

Re: Buying a new guitar. Give me some ideas - under 15k

Post by LarryATahoe » Fri May 18, 2018 6:25 am

A new Michael Thames double top is first on my list.

John Ray
Luthier

Post by John Ray » Fri May 18, 2018 7:06 am

Not many makers sell direct at prices between 12 and 15 K and many that do are making new-fangled funny-sounding things that do not give you the sound that everyone here fell in love with when the classical bug bit us. What your budget does allow you is the liberty to afford the guitar that you find which is perfect for you even if it is marked up by a dealer. You can try all the guitars at one of the better shops and take that one that suits whether it costs you 7 or 15 thousand. Sounds like fun. Ordering a guitar from someone at 15000 is a perfectly valid option but you would want to be really sure you were going to be happy with it. Go the dealer route, the mark up is worth it in order to find what you really like.
John Ray
blog Great guitars of the past
facebook John Ray guitars

simonm

Post by simonm » Fri May 18, 2018 7:29 am

Arduous wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 6:56 am

What would YOU get if you were getting a guitar in the same price range.
….
I need something with lots of volume since I play a lot of ensemble music and the players need to hear me.

Maybe a little more detail about the ensemble music you play would help some people to make suggestions about what they would use in the same circumstances. Maybe even edit the title of the thread and get "ensemble" into it somehow.

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Fri May 18, 2018 7:31 am

Do yourself a favour. If you are trying out guitars in terms of loudness take a trusted fellow musician with you. Some guitars can seem perfectly loud to the player (players position) but not so loud to the audience - in this case your ensemble. Are they all guitars in the ensemble or other instruments?
Any guitar hasn't much hope against loud instruments like the bowed string family.
Historicalguitars.

simonm

Post by simonm » Fri May 18, 2018 11:51 am

Michael.N. wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 7:31 am
... Are they all guitars in the ensemble ...
Which reminds me … I have seen a contemporary duo mentioned here a couple of times who have "twin" guitars from the same maker to be sure that the sound is about equal.

souldier

Post by souldier » Fri May 18, 2018 12:53 pm

With a huge budget like that you have a tonne of options. I'd definitely spend some money to travel to different dealers like savage guitars, etc. where you can find a wide spectrum of instruments to play them in person. There are good recommendations here, but you'll never really know for yourself until you try. You probably don't want to spend 12-15k buying blind, so you either need to try in person or have a good return policy in place. Whatever you choose to do I would bear these things in mind:

-focus more on the sound/playability than the price, maker, etc. You may be surprised to find that the instrument that speaks to you most falls well under your budget and outperforms guitars at a higher price point. Pricing can be so subjective and deceptive in the CG market. One sometimes makes the wrong assumption that a 15k guitar will give you 3x more performance than a 5k guitar, which simply is not the case.

-Bring someone with you. Since volume is important to you and you need others to hear you in your ensemble, you need to hear the guitar from the listening end from various distances. In my trips to dealers I've discovered how deceptive "loud" guitars can be. It is totally possible for a really loud double top to have about the same or less projection than a fan braced instrument.

-An important question is how much volume is really needed to play in an ensemble? Is it really necessary to have monster volume, or is it just a preference? Is everyone else in the ensemble playing super loud instruments? Personally I think one can do just fine with an instrument of decent dynamic range. I would certainly still prioritize tonal quality/beauty and clarity over volume in that situation.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

UKsteve

Post by UKsteve » Fri May 18, 2018 2:39 pm

Mikkel wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 6:06 am
From what you say I would go for a Phillip Woodfield. The 2 I've tried were insanely loud and very traditional sounding.
^ seconded.
Phillip's guitars are super-responsive and can be loud when pushed.
A quick look at the people who have used them should reassure you they are of the highest quality (Tennant, Dylla, Tampalini).
Miles under your budget if you go direct to Phillip, but last time I heard, his list was at 3 years. Worth waiting for though.
He is also building some visually stunning guitars these days - great rosettes and flamed necks etc.

UKsteve

Post by UKsteve » Fri May 18, 2018 2:42 pm

John Ray wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 7:06 am
many that do are making new-fangled funny-sounding things that do not give you the sound that everyone here fell in love with when the classical bug bit us.
Everyone here?
I'd speak for yourself...

brian

Post by brian » Fri May 18, 2018 2:43 pm

a top of the line
Teodoro Perez w
plenty left over for a
top of the line case, w
plenty left over for a top
of the line tv, w just enough
left ove for a great bottle of tequila. 8)
if at first you don't succeed, try, try again.
then quit.
there's no use being a damn fool about it.
-w.c. fields

eno

Post by eno » Fri May 18, 2018 3:17 pm

georgemarousi wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 8:40 am
At that pricepoint and needs I would consider a new Paulino Bernabe Especial or a used Imperial :D
100% agreed. Other than Bernabe I would suggest Aaron Green, his guitars are fantastic. When I visited his workshop I had a chance to play Hauser II, Bouchet and a bunch of other guitars but, believe or not, I was more impressed with a guitar made by Aaron (unfortunately it was beyond my budget limit at that time and I ended up buying Bernabe which I never regret).
Paulino Bernabe 'India' 2001
Takamine C136S 1976
Masaru Kohno No.6 1967

andreas777

Post by andreas777 » Sat May 19, 2018 7:01 pm

souldier wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 12:53 pm
I'd definitely spend some money to travel to different dealers like savage guitars, etc. where you can find a wide spectrum of instruments to play them in person. There are good recommendations here, but you'll never really know for yourself until you try.(...)
+1
Happiness is when what you think what you say and what you do are in harmony.

zavaletas

Post by zavaletas » Sat May 19, 2018 9:58 pm

Would be happy to talk with you.
James, Zavaleta's La Casa de Guitarras

GuitarsWeB

Post by GuitarsWeB » Sat May 19, 2018 11:16 pm

Buy the Romanillos Model David Schramm is building

rpavich

Post by rpavich » Sun May 20, 2018 12:06 pm

I checked out your bio; you've been playing and performing and teaching for a long time, you are no noob. It seems to me that for what you want to spend, you don't want to play the guitar lotto. I'd go to Savage Guitars in NY or the Classical Guitar Store in Philly and play a bunch of guitar and pick what floated my boat. It's one thing for a noob to just buy their first $500.00 guitar without playing it first but for $15,000? I'd get a $350.00 round trip plane ticket and a hotel room and spend the day at one of those two shops.
Asturias AST-100-heavily modified by Robert England.

stratlanta

Post by stratlanta » Sun May 20, 2018 12:47 pm

rpavich wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 12:06 pm
I checked out your bio; you've been playing and performing and teaching for a long time, you are no noob. It seems to me that for what you want to spend, you don't want to play the guitar lotto. I'd go to Savage Guitars in NY or the Classical Guitar Store in Philly and play a bunch of guitar and pick what floated my boat. It's one thing for a noob to just buy their first $500.00 guitar without playing it first but for $15,000? I'd get a $350.00 round trip plane ticket and a hotel room and spend the day at one of those two shops.
If nothing else I think this would be a lot of fun. I'd like to do it some day.

With that said, most decent shops allow a trial period which I really like because I can play the guitar in my environment and spend more than a couple of hours with it. Sometimes the initial infatuation can "color" my opinion of the sound and when I go back to it later I can be more objective. With a purchase that expensive I think a policy like this is really important. I understand why a seller wouldn't want to offer a trial period, but it's a deal killer for me if I can't get to their place to play it.
Philip Woodfield Grand Concert II - SP/EB
Kenneth Brogger SP/AR
Masaki Sakurai "Special" SP/CSAR
Sergio Perez "Segovia" CD/AR

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”