2018-08-03 James Boyd Cley, Norfolk ( UK)

muirtan

2018-08-03 James Boyd Cley, Norfolk ( UK)

Post by muirtan » Sun May 20, 2018 3:33 pm

Friday 3rd August - 7.30 Cley Church - Programme title Evocations and Echoes. To include music from Bach, De Falla and Rodrigo http://www.cleycontemporaryart.org/james-boyd.html

muirtan

Re: 2018-08-03 James Boyd Cley, Norfolk ( UK)

Post by muirtan » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:35 pm

More details of the concert.
Tickets £10 on the door.
Music by Bach, Barrios, Rodrigo, Da Falla and Villa Lobos

muirtan

Re: 2018-08-03 James Boyd Cley, Norfolk ( UK)

Post by muirtan » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:53 pm

Hi all, James has just released some more details of the programme to whet your appetite and a reminder of how close the concert is.

"Dear supporters, concert lovers and guitar aficionados

With 2 weeks to go before Echoes and Evocations has its first performance at St Margarets Church in Cley I thought I'd share with you a short preview of the music that has found its way into this programme.

Many of you will know I have based much of my career around English music old and new. I was astonished to find, when sitting in the silence of St Margaret's just a few weeks ago, that the music that flowed into my mind evoked other countries.

I had expected that in creating a concert programme for this space, with the surrounding salt marshes and cobbled villages that have been part of my life since I was small, I would raise echoes of Britain.

Instead, a series of music from Bach to Manuel de Falla began to flow. And a return to some of the music that fascinated me as a young artist.

It is easy to see how Bach might come to mind in response to the vast architecture and presence of St Margaret's. The three preludes I have chosen, by turn seem to crystallise that space into musical form, stretch toward an elusive goal, and find joy in a return to earth.

The Villa lobos prelude that follows has faint traces of Bach's influence on the Brazilian composer and yet is firmly rooted in the folk music and poetry of his own land. A singing cello line with breadth and solemnity that soars into a dance like middle section before returning to its haunting beginnings.

Then a flight south of the Mato Grosso to the world of the guitar legend Augustin Barrios Mangore.
His sublime le Catredal is a three movement work of great power moving from grief to exultation and then to chaos. This is followed by an earthy and seductive Moorish dance Serenata Morisca. Here is Barrios the showman, the improviser and playful virtuoso captured in a rarely heard piece.

And with dance in the air we'll turn to Rodrigo and finish with a masterpiece by Manuel de Falla - his only work for guitar. I'll tell you more about these pieces on the night. They are extraordinary.
3rd August. 7.30. St Margarets Church. Cley.

Copyright © 2018 James Boyd Productions. All rights reserved "

My mailing address is:
james@jamesboyd.co.uk

Return to “Archives - Classical Guitar Concerts”