Classical Guitar Tremolo Pieces: A Reference Guide

Post here only items useful for reference purposes.
Forum rules
Post here only items useful for reference purposes.
Ahmed Hamza

Re: Classical Guitar Tremolo Pieces: A Reference Guide

Post by Ahmed Hamza » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:00 am

Conall wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:26 pm
guitarrista wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:20 pm
Ahmed Hamza wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:48 pm
Is there pieces for beginners?
Here's how I think about it. (Classical) Tremolo is a right-hand technique. It needs to be employed within a beautiful or interesting composition in order to be pleasing. The technique itself is neither here nor there; it can be pretty lifeless and very quickly super-boring without the musical qualities of a nice composition - as you no doubt are aware from beginner's exercises where you are asked to practice open-e tremolo on the 1st sting with open string bass notes, for example.

The technique itself is a fairly advanced skill for the right hand. However, an interesting composition does not require the left-hand patterns to be complicated. So, what is an easy tremolo; a tremolo for beginners?

If 'easy tremolo' requires both the right and the left hand to have easy jobs - it does not exist.

However, if 'easy' is just about the left hand (and melody), then you can pick anything simple which is still interesting - it does not have to be a specific piece. You can just cycle through 2-3 easy chords with the left hand......
I understand what you are saying but despite what you say, obviously there will be some tremolo pieces easier than others.

It's true that the left hand has the biggest potential for difference in difficulty but some aspects of RH tremolo vary in difficulty too - tempo is one but also whether it is on 1st string as against the other strings on which it is harder to avoid glancing off physically lower strings.

It's also true that, as tremolo is an advanced technique, one would expect only advanced players to attempt it & that these would be capable of making up their own tremolo exercises and make tremolo pieces at sight from suitable pieces. This is indeed what I did decades ago.

But there's still a place for ready-made tremolo arrangements & compositions for those who want them / don't want to arrange their own / want to learn to arrange their own & want to begin on a tremolo piece that's shorter and easier than Recuerdos or one of the Barrios tremolos (for example).

This is presumably what Ahmed & others like him are looking for.
Hi
I think it should be an illustrative beginning of a set of notes in a musical piece in order to understand how the process takes place
So it is difficult when the musical pieces are long
Where they are difficult
We need to understand how the process is done in the simplest procedure
Thank you
Ahmed

Conall

Post by Conall » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:29 am

[/quote]
Hi
I think it should be an illustrative beginning of a set of notes in a musical piece in order to understand how the process takes place
So it is difficult when the musical pieces are long
Where they are difficult
We need to understand how the process is done in the simplest procedure
Thank you
Ahmed
[/quote]

Yes, if I understand you correctly, it's logical to start with shorter, easiER (at least in left hand) tremolo pieces (after a course of tremolo exercises) before attempting the tremolo masterpieces. This is what I was trying to address with my short tremolo arrangements. There of course others. The point is, where are they all?

In order not to encroach too much on Guitarrista's original post perhaps someone might like to post a new thread with a list of tremolo pieces suitable for those at the early stages of learning tremolo.

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:25 pm

Conall wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:43 am
It's true that 1st string tremolo should not be fundamentally different from tremolo on other strings.
I think this is key; it is just that my experience and observations were that too many people starting on 1st string tremolo (exclusively, at least for quite a while) end up learning a motion which is fundamentally different from the required one which would work on all strings. So later on tremolo has to be re-learned when 2nd string is introduced.
Conall wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:43 am
But I accept that another approach (yours) is to focus on tremolo on strings other than the 1st at the beginning & if that works for you & your students, well & good!
Och, Conall, I am not a professional guitar teacher; I just like to think a lot.
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:36 pm

Conall wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:29 am
Yes, if I understand you correctly, it's logical to start with shorter, easiER (at least in left hand) tremolo pieces (after a course of tremolo exercises) before attempting the tremolo masterpieces. This is what I was trying to address with my short tremolo arrangements. There of course others. The point is, where are they all?

In order not to encroach too much on Guitarrista's original post perhaps someone might like to post a new thread with a list of tremolo pieces suitable for those at the early stages of learning tremolo.
Conall, perhaps you could start this thread. If you do I have a whole bunch of suggestions to make for that list (though a tad wider scope than pure beginner) - I just have to find my notes.
Konstantin
--

Conall

Post by Conall » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:44 am

guitarrista wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:36 pm
Conall wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:29 am

Conall, perhaps you could start this thread. If you do I have a whole bunch of suggestions to make for that list (though a tad wider scope than pure beginner) - I just have to find my notes.
Yes, sounds like I need to do that! And your suggestions for that list will be most welcome!

Conall

Post by Conall » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:52 am

Seems I've been beaten to it:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=106734

Although I note there aren't many pieces suggested on it. Inevitably, as usual with these things it tends to encourage another general discussion on tremolo technique itself!

When you find your notes your suggestions could be added to that thread? I'd be interested to check them out for my own students.

Hungtran

Post by Hungtran » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:22 am

Thank you so much for uploading such interesting reference.

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:49 am

Hungtran wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:22 am
Thank you so much for uploading such interesting reference.
I am glad you are finding it interesting! :D
Konstantin
--

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:50 am

Conall wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:52 am
Seems I've been beaten to it:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=106734

Although I note there aren't many pieces suggested on it. Inevitably, as usual with these things it tends to encourage another general discussion on tremolo technique itself!

When you find your notes your suggestions could be added to that thread? I'd be interested to check them out for my own students.
Sounds good, will do.
Konstantin
--

Return to “Reference Library”