Annual Retooling

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Brian McCombs

Annual Retooling

Post by Brian McCombs » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:44 pm

Every year, at least once, I try to refurbish an old shop tool I might find useful. I have an affinity for the old 1930's and 40's cast iron machines. Here I have a much sought after Delta 12" disk sander on an open stand....It's a tough one to find if your the kind of person looking for such things. This example is from 1942. These sanders I suspect had a strong tendency to tip over, they are very top heavy, the motor weighs 80 lbs by itself. They are almost always broken somewhere. Somebody slopped gray paint all over it and it has obviously been tipped over a couple times, but it is very restorable.

The wiring is pretty crusty, the fabric wire insulation is disintegrating. Challenging....I've pulled the shaft and new bearings are on the way.

Gilded Strings

Re: Annual Retooling

Post by Gilded Strings » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:51 am

Please update with photos when complete!

segobreawill

Post by segobreawill » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:06 pm

Looks like you've found something to keep yourself busy with there? :)

Kent

Post by Kent » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:53 pm

I had something similar awhile back. Turned it on and all the lights went dim!
I am sure it will be ready for another 100 years once you get it done. Engrave your name and date on it because it will be running long after you and I bite the dust.

johnd

Post by johnd » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:02 pm

Sometimes I wonder when I am ordering another luthier tool that I probably don't need if I am more into the tools than building guitars.

Brian McCombs

Post by Brian McCombs » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:56 pm

I disemboweled the whole thing.....down to every last nut and bolt. I scrubbed it with acid and stripped all the paint off with a wire wheel. The motor is the original bullet motor with the correct switch and switch box cover. The switch and cover usually go missing, after 75 years I'm lucky they present. The wires inside were crumbling....all the insulation was made of cloth, the fibers just fell off. I repaired it....I'm good like that. I installed new bearings and painted it up.

Sadly the motor badge is missing, but you can make new ones. I made a water-slide decal, mounted it on a metal plate and provided the 1942 motor with an identity once again.

I tuned it up and its a sweet sander - I love reintroducing old cast iron to service. I get much joy from the old equipment and the things I make with them. I have a 1950'S Delta Rockwell belt sander next in my queue.

martinardo

Post by martinardo » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:06 pm

Good job, Brian. As long as the Earth lead has integrity you should be good to go. :)

How is the balance on the disc ? I also think it's a great thing to restore old stuff and bring

it back to life. Often so much better quality than what one might buy today. As your

pictures show, Solid is the word that comes to mind !
I'm pink therefore I'm Spam

Chris Sobel
Luthier

Post by Chris Sobel » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:25 am

Hi Brian,

Thanks for sharing! I loved reading about your project and seeing the transformation. You are an official tinkerer extraordinaire.

Chris
CE Sobel Guitars

MessyTendon
Amateur luthier

Post by MessyTendon » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:34 am

If you could retrofit a 12 inc buffer to that...you could french polish in 20 minutes :)

I see the old wire could be a new slice and solder but nothing too complex. Was the replacement bearing a press fit cartridge bearing? Or was it an old caged ball bearing type?

Brian McCombs

Post by Brian McCombs » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:48 pm

I've been burning the midnight oil.....or perhaps I should say, staying up waaay late - nearly til 9:00pm . Refurbishing project Number 2.

This is a 1966 Rockwell belt sander. This unit was my "holy Grail" machine...They are hard to find in descent condition in my price range. I had to really hunt for it. I spent 3 years completing it. I brought it home, tore it apart and it sat in the barn until it got good and ripe. It needed a few parts and some extensive work, the wiring was crumbling most severely. The sea foam green enamel took a while to remove, it was very thick, and despite what the color might suggest, it didn't taste minty fresh as I was sanding it off. In all honesty, It tasted like OLD smells. It is very heavy and solid.

martinardo

Post by martinardo » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:33 pm

Great job, Brian. I really didn't realize that you were such an abrasive type of guy. :)
I'm pink therefore I'm Spam

Brian McCombs

Post by Brian McCombs » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:11 pm

Ha... I'm more of a 120 grit guy....but I can be much more coarse if pushed.

Michele Franceschini
Student of the online lessons

Post by Michele Franceschini » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:08 pm

You sure did a beautiful job!

mlau

Post by mlau » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:58 pm

you make that look niiiiiiiice.

Btw, you may want to check out the Sawmill creek DIY grinder thread: https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php ... -available

Gilded Strings

Post by Gilded Strings » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:30 am

Nice work Brian! Thanks for sharing.

Your work shop reminds me of the wood work rooms back at school will all the old albeit sturdy machinery. Takes me back.

Return to “Luthiers”