Schubert, Franz - Herbstlied D.502 - Video

Audio and video recordings of classical music (1760-1850, e.g. Giuliani, Carcassi, Carulli). Your own interpretations of music that is in the public domain.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Composer's surname, forename - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Carcassi, Matteo - op.60/01 Etude - D05 Video
or Mozart, W. A. - K545 Sonata, Allegro - Duo (For more than one forename, just give initials.)
or Anon. - Au Clair de la Lune - D01 (Use Anon. for all anonymous or traditional pieces.)
For Giuliani the opus number should be 3 digits (op.048).
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
bert

Schubert, Franz - Herbstlied D.502 - Video

Post by bert » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:41 am

Score at my site

bert

Re: Schubert, Franz - Herbstlied D.502 - Video

Post by bert » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:15 pm

I'd be interested why this doesn't get replies. Constructive criticism is welcome.

Cincy2

Post by Cincy2 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:08 am

Bert,

Technically, very well played. Now comes the hard part....how to make it lyrical and infuse it with dynamics and tone color to make the song your own. I can't tell you how to do that as I have exactly the same problem.

Cincy
A wood box, empty
A sensitive heart, too full
You and I connect.

John Jay

Post by John Jay » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:28 pm

Hi Bert,

First off, congratulations on the very nice arrangements and performances! I agree with Cincy's post and, for whatever it's worth, will offer a suggestion on how to take that difficult next step of making the songs "your own". Namely, forget strict tempo for awhile and focus on identifying and (at least initially) greatly exaggerating any contrasts that you find in the music. Strongly emphasize the melody over the accompaniment. Study your phrasing, exaggerate every peak and valley, and always be moving towards one or the other. Try varying your tone color on any repeated phrase. Indulge in a little accelerando or rubato where the music seems to call for it. In short, loosen everything up, fool around, go overboard. Have a bit of fun! You will find ideas that you like and will want to keep when you pull that metronome back out to tidy things back up a bit.

Best wishes,

John

bert

Post by bert » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:38 am

Hi Cincy and John,
Thank you both for your comments. Glad it's not to do with the arrangements, as that's the part I'm most interested about at the moment. The emphasizing and exaggerating that has been advised to me in the distant past. Thanks for reminding me about that. Problem with getting there is that after making the arrangement and getting the piece technically right, I'm starting to lose the interest needed to get any further.
Bert

chlebik

Post by chlebik » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:04 pm

Really nice. I have to be honest - I am not keen on Lieders in their original version however with guitar it gets waaay better.
"You got big dreams. You want fame. Well, fame costs. And right here is where You start paying. With sweat". - Fame TV Series Intro

bert

Post by bert » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:05 am

chlebik wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:04 pm
I have to be honest - I am not keen on Lieders
I'm not that keen on them either, but for arranging it's just fun to take a piece and make something else out of it, so it's nice to see you like them in my version.

Return to “Our recordings of Classical music”