[PDF] Foster, Stephen - My Old Kentucky Home

Compositions and arrangements by members of the forum.
Forum rules
III Ours MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Author’s rights

Title format: [PDF/JPG tag] Composer's surname, forename - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. [PDF] Albeniz, Isaac - op.47 Sevilla
or [PDF] Quantz, J. J. - op.02/02 Duetto - Duo (For more than one forename, just give initials.)
or [PDF] Anon. - Packington's Pound (Use Anon. for all anonymous or traditional pieces.)
Username may replace Composer's surname and forename for your own compositions.
For Giuliani the opus number should be 3 digits (op.048) and for Bach the BWV number should be 4 digits (BWV 0820).
For more details see instructions here.
Adrian Allan

[PDF] Foster, Stephen - My Old Kentucky Home

Post by Adrian Allan » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:58 pm

Bio:
My Old Kentucky Hometab.pdf
"Stephen Foster is often credited as "America's First Composer" and widely regarded as one of the first who made professional songwriting profitable. Fosters' songs were the first genuinely American in theme, characterizing love of home, American temperament, river life and work, politics, battlefields, slavery and plantation life. While Foster added to the war effort with songs expressing homesickness, love, and heroic soldiers, these songs did not achieve the singular success found in the previous decade. After moving to New York City in 1861, Foster was reduced to selling the rights to his songs for cash in hand. Alcoholic, penniless and consumed by loneliness and debt, Foster died in New York City on January 13, 1864. His death followed the completion of his last great song "Beautiful Dreamer"." (www.songhall.org)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
D'Ammassa Spruce/Spruce Double Top

Adrian Allan

Re: [PDF] Foster, Stephen - My Old Kentucky Home

Post by Adrian Allan » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:00 pm

Interesting fact: out of all the songs that he ever wrote, not one is in a minor key.

However, several are poignant/sad such as Beautiful Dreamer - just goes to show what you can achieve with major keys alone.

Adrian Allan

Re: [PDF] Foster, Stephen - My Old Kentucky Home

Post by Adrian Allan » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:03 pm

In addition, some of his songs are now considered unacceptable by modern standards - frequent mentions of "darkies", and other trappings of the minstrel tradition that is found in American song. His statue was recently pulled down in Pittsburgh.

Return to “Our scores for classical guitar”