Slack Key Performance

Teachers introduce their students.
Forum rules
III Ours MP3, WMV, MOV, FLV et AVI, Author’s rights
XIV BBCode for embedding a YouTube video in your message

In addition to the regular forum rules, teachers who post videos of their minor-age students must have received the permission of the student's parent(s). In certain countries such as France, Germany and Portugal, there are also "rights to images".
Peter Frary

Slack Key Performance

Post by Peter Frary » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:54 am

One of my students from Leeward Community College, Honybal Sosa, soloing a few years back. Classical technique applied to kī hōʻalu, i.e., Hawaiian Slack Key, a traditional finger style genre from the Hawaiian islands.

I play a Cordoba Mini so I look taller on stage!

SleepyheadRooster

Re: Slack Key Performance

Post by SleepyheadRooster » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:13 am

I play a very small amount of Slack Key tunes in open G on my steel string. It’s such a beautiful, enjoyable style of music. I learned four tunes a few years ago (I tend to taste test styles, probably too much) and if I can get around to it someday I want to learn Radio Hula.

This works beautifully on a nylon strings, but I think Keola Beamer is one of the only other people I have heard who uses a classical guitar - not that I have an extensive knowledge of the music.

I’m watching/listening on my phone. Was he just in drop D tuning? Or is it an open tuning? Thanks for sharing this! I imagine he has graduated and gone on to play more music?
Best,
Chuck

Peter Frary

Post by Peter Frary » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:27 am

I think the open strings are tuned to CGCGCE. Keola Beamer studied classical guitar, as did Jeff Peterson although Jeff tends to play on steel strings more. Back in the day, I seem to recall Keola was once president of the Hawaii Classical Guitar Society.

simonm

Post by simonm » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:12 am

Joseph Spence has quite another style of slack key. Different tradition. Don't recall the tuning.

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:54 pm

Sweet! Love slack-key. Also just went to a very nice slack-key performance/history concert in Kaua'i by Doug McMasters, old-style stuff. Nice to hear this!
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

oski79

Post by oski79 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:59 pm

That's wonderful, thanks for posting. I feel mellower already!
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

SleepyheadRooster

Post by SleepyheadRooster » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:17 pm

celestemcc wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:54 pm
Sweet! Love slack-key. Also just went to a very nice slack-key performance/history concert in Kaua'i by Doug McMasters, old-style stuff. Nice to hear this!
My wife and I went to one of his concerts about 16 years ago in a little community center there. It is good to hear that he is still doing it!
Best,
Chuck

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:17 pm

My wife and I went to one of his concerts about 16 years ago in a little community center there. It is good to hear that he is still doing it!
Yes, in Hanalei, Princeville, and Kapa'a. We saw them in Kapa'a. They're persevering in spite of major damage to their home in Hanalei due to the floods in April (he lost 17 guitars and his recording studio). He's currently playing a big ol' Gibson, and it's a honey, beautiful for slack-key.

We were drawn to see them from a bad Tripadvisor review, of all things! Most reviews were, of course, excellent. But two one-star reviews said, "Way too much history" and one said, "This is really only for guitar geeks,". Hubby and I looked at each other and said, "well, that's for us!" and it was lovely.
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

Kent

Post by Kent » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:31 pm

I will take this over Recuerdos de la Alhambra.
The low hanging palm trees are tickling my shoulder.

Peter Frary

Post by Peter Frary » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:39 pm

Honybal (great stage name too) is working on his BM in Guitar Performance and has written and performed many slack key originals. So watch out for him a few years down the line.

Return to “My students' concerts”