Julian Bream guitars

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Peter Lovett

Re: Julian Bream guitars

Post by Peter Lovett » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:28 am

Arduous wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:30 pm
Cloth Ears wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:51 am
Good stuff. JB is the reason that many of us became interested in CG.

And Segovia the reason JB became interested.

Segovia is indirectly responsible for most of us CG players.
Like hell!
1994 Jim Williams lattice braced, Cedar/Tasmanian Blackwood

Arduous

Post by Arduous » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:13 am

Yes, kinda like hell.

Hank Matallana
Student of the online lessons

Post by Hank Matallana » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:33 am

That's right. Kohno did not produce the model 50 until sometime during the latter part of 1978.
Hank
San Francisco
1965 654 scale Eugene Clark

Contreras

Post by Contreras » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:37 am

RobMacKillop wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:52 am
"Matthias Dammann, Germany, cedar double top (quickly sold)"

Surely I'm not alone in finding that amusing?!
I noted that as well, Rob ... and he was prepared to try many different makers.

Seems he agrees with me about double-tops :mrgreen:

Surprised Friederich doesn't feature, since he loved Bouchet ...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
- Groucho

mvp019a

Post by mvp019a » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:17 pm

The first classical guitar album I had as a kid was a double LP of Julian Bream - spent many happy hours listening.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:09 am

The Delcamp list of guitars owned by Julian Bream shows a Brian Cohen from 1991. This was but the first guitar commissioned from Cohen. In total, he commissioned eight instruments from him, the last made in 1998. (Note, this is contrary to what Brian says on his own website which incorrectly gives that latest date of a commission of 1996). Source: emails from Brian Cohen, July 2013.

I now own the second last commission, a Hauser 1940 ‘copy’ which was started in late 1996 and finished early 1997. The spruce top for that guitar was a piece specially supplied from Bream's own stock of wood.

Bream owned that instrument for 11 years, until being put up for sale in April 2008.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:27 am

Cohen Brief Bream.jpg
Letter in relation to above mentioned instrument.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Muggins Simoon

Post by Muggins Simoon » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:00 pm

I have often wondered what happened to the stolen Bouchet. What a find that would be if it was rediscovered. Bream had said it was his favorite, and described it as a small organ.
1995 Richard Schneider
1998 Christopher Dean
2000 Otto Vowinkel
2011 Mathieu Trepanier
1979 Dauphin 40

andrethompson
Student of the online lessons

Post by andrethompson » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:15 pm

Thanks!

Will look into this.

- Andre

twc90

Post by twc90 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:50 pm

Trying to create a list of guitars owned by Bream could be quite a project!

I get the impression that he bought and sold a lot of guitars over the years, although he didn't necessarily play them all in concert. Also, he would work with luthiers to help them develop their instruments, often having first choice of instruments as they became available and frequently upgrading to the latest model, which could make compiling a list even more difficult! For instance, there's an interview from the 1980s with the US luthier Jeffrey Elliott in which he mentions Bream playing one of his instruments in 1985 so I presume that's in addition to the 1986 guitar mentioned in the list above:

https://www.guitarsint.com/article/An_I ... _R_Elliott

I also remember reading a story about Bream trying dozens of Jose Ramirez guitars at a shop in the USA before eventually buying at least one, possibly while on tour in the late 60s or early 70s. It was mentioned on another thread on this site but unfortunately the link to the article doesn't appear to be working so perhaps someone else will know the story or be able to find it elsewhere?

viewtopic.php?t=80081

www.guitarramagazine.comthe-perfect-guitar-part-2

Good luck with the site!

Kent

Post by Kent » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:53 pm

petermc61 wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:09 am
The Delcamp list of guitars owned by Julian Bream shows a Brian Cohen from 1991. This was but the first guitar commissioned from Cohen. In total, he commissioned eight instruments from him, the last made in 1998. (Note, this is contrary to what Brian says on his own website which incorrectly gives that latest date of a commission of 1996). Source: emails from Brian Cohen, July 2013.

I now own the second last commission, a Hauser 1940 ‘copy’ which was started in late 1996 and finished early 1997. The spruce top for that guitar was a piece specially supplied from Bream's own stock of wood.

Bream owned that instrument for 11 years, until being put up for sale in April 2008.
Peter,
Any chance we could see a few pictures?

Vincent Tan

Post by Vincent Tan » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:29 am

John Oster wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:02 pm
RobMacKillop wrote:

No, it gave a chuckle, too. I was thinking, "Did he actually play one/it before buying?"

I found this also quite amusing. A double top guitar is unusual for someone who plays like Bream does that the person who posted it had to note that it was quickly sold :D. But I heard the story that the original owner of the Dammann was upset that Bream sold it quickly especially after Bream really persuaded him to sell it. Bream was wowed by the sound at the first time he tried but I think he realized it didn’t suit him after bringing it home.

Vincent Tan

Post by Vincent Tan » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:31 am

And also to the original poster of the thread, a friend of mine owns the 1957 Hauser II that Bream used for the Art of Juilan Bream album. I can take photos and record a couple of videos for you the next time I visit my friend.

Vincent Tan

Post by Vincent Tan » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:36 am

Contreras wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:37 am
RobMacKillop wrote:

I noted that as well, Rob ... and he was prepared to try many different makers.

Seems he agrees with me about double-tops :mrgreen:

Surprised Friederich doesn't feature, since he loved Bouchet ...
Richard Brune showed me a letter from Bream to Friederich asking for any available guitars for him to buy when he visits Friederich workshop but Friederich was never able to respond. The letter was dates in the late 60’s when Friederich only built in spruce. I think Bream might have lost interest in the later years when Friederich moved to building cedar tops only which, according to Richard, Bream didn’t like. He didn’t even wanted to touch a cedar guitar back then.

goingeasy

Post by goingeasy » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:36 pm

Okay!! So I went ahead and did a lot of work on the guitar page on the Julian Bream site. Can all you Delcamp members that are into guitar specifics take a look and see if I got something wrong? I would greatly appreciate the help. The list you all have been adding to for years was a great help and a great starting point. I'm sure he has owned more guitars than this but it will be difficult to track it all down, if not nearly impossible. I broke up the classical guitar list into two sections. Guitars used as an adolescent and guitars used as an adult. The youth guitars range from the first small Ibanez that was given to him for his 11th birthday all the way through 18 years of age and was forced to enlist in the army. These guitar were given to him and he did not have much of a choice on what was available to him due to his age and limited family finances. After the army period, he was basically on his own and making his own choices. It's the adult guitar list that will likely never really be complete because it seems like a lot of guitars have passed through Julian Bream's hands. I also have a separate page for early guitars and for lute.

A few other question for all of you. Julian switched guitar very frequently, nearly with every couple of record albums. In the Music of Spain series it seems like he used the Romanillos 1973 guitar for all the recording. Should I assume that these were all the same Romanillos 1973 guitar? Romanillos was building a lot of instruments for him throughout the 70's and 80s. He could have possibly built more than 1 guitar in the same year that Bream took a liking to.

Now to the guitars on the album covers. It does not look like new photographs were taken for every album release and so there might have been situations were an older picture with a guitar was used for a current release where a different guitar was actually used. I have always thought that the photo from The Art of Julian Bream is the same photo shoot as the album cover from a few years later Popular Classics for Spanish Guitar. He did use different guitars on both of these albums. He used a Houser on TAOJB and a Bouchet on PCFSG. According to Guitar Salon International the guitar on the TAOJB cover is the Houser (that I think they still have). That would make the guitar on PCFSG a Houser as well although he actually used 2 different Bouchets on that album release. Maybe I'm getting a little too overboard here but I find it all very interesting.

I also decided to list the guitar in the order that they came into Bream possession. I put the newer guitar at the top of the page and it goes down to the earliest guitars he owned when he was younger.

http://www.julianbreamguitar.com/happy- ... years.html
http://www.julianbreamguitar.com/home.html

Thanks for the help,

Will

Return to “Public Space”