Help ~ deciding on new classical guitar purchase | 2500euro

Kevin L Benbow

Re: Help ~ deciding on new classical guitar purchase | 2500euro

Post by Kevin L Benbow » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:37 pm

I love my c12. I use it when performing in cafes, bars, etc. The Bernabe would be great choice as well.
Purnell #93
Cordoba C12
Admira Virtuoso (c. 1999).

dta721

Post by dta721 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:21 pm

Kevin L Benbow wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:37 pm
I love my c12. I use it when performing in cafes, bars, etc. The Bernabe would be great choice as well.
It's good to hear from a C12 owner :okok: ; me too a happy owner of a C12 (spruce) with very warm bass and musical treble :)!

Kevin L Benbow

Post by Kevin L Benbow » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:36 am

I just love it. I have the cedar. I use it as a "working guitar" but it is such a pleasure to play. I installed a Kremona bridge pickup which does nicely.

When I play in a "performance" situation I mic up the Purnell. She is a spruce with a huge palate.

However, I would be comfortable with the C12 in this sort of situation as well. While it is warmer than the spruce, I really like its sound.
Purnell #93
Cordoba C12
Admira Virtuoso (c. 1999).

Charles Cook
Student of the online lessons

Post by Charles Cook » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:14 pm

Buy them All! LOL.
Really, I would go with the one that sounds the best to you.
2017 Cordoba 20th Anniversary Guitar
1993 Jose Ramirez R2

Nikos_Greek

Post by Nikos_Greek » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:39 pm

Very good instruments mentioned already. In my humble opinion, if I had to choose but couldn't try the instruments myself, and had the patience to wait until I could find an M10 Bernabe, I would go for it. In my limited experience I haven't come across a faulty Bernabe M10. It surpasses any high end factory guitar. If you could find it used (they have been discontinued) that would be a great deal. I find M15 and above extremely overpriced. You could find a luthier built guitar (even new from a lesser known luthier) for the price of a new M15.

MessyTendon
Amateur luthier

Post by MessyTendon » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:54 am

The 2A is made by Picado!...hehehe I'd go with the 2A if you want a classic look, no fancy rosette, just pure good lines.

Mr.Rain

Post by Mr.Rain » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:28 pm

I would consider Picado 62 or concierto if you pull bit more of money(had then both, excellent instruments for the money).

Models from Juan Hernandez or Adalid are also very good options IMHO.

If you have still a lot of doubts, as 2500 euros is a lot of money to pay for an instrument I would suggest you to go to a big retailer(with a big catalog) and check a lot of guitars.

My 2 cents,

In Spain there are 2 good shops to check instruments (guitarras del luthier and casa luthier Madrid/Barcelona) both shops have plenty of guitars to check and at least to see what they sound like (you may fall in love with a particular guitar, or may want to order something to a luthier after trying his guitars).

Actually nowadays low season tickets are show cheap that you can go back an fro to Madrid or Barcelona for very little (do some tourism and check some guitars at the same time,at least to make up your mind :P)

PS I would not buy 2a made by Picado but his 62 or a Concierto,or any other guitar I suspect it was not made by the workshop named by the label :mrgreen:

Sharkbait

Post by Sharkbait » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:45 am

After I tried Bernabe M5, M10 & M15 (I think the 1st 2 may no longer be in production), I realise they were head-and-shoulders above the Alhambra 11p, Juan Hernandez (Concierto & Profesor) and Camps CL-20 (I haven’t tried the Adalid, Burguets nor Picado). Unfortunately, they’re also significantly more expensive and if memory serves me correctly, above the OP’s price point). Would the OP be prepared to wait and save up more for a Bernabe?

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:48 pm

Hi WalrusAlchemist,
I totally understand the desire to buy ‘new’, but I think you could get a much better, possibly even a Luthier made guitar, if you’re willing to buy used. I’ve owned new guitars and it’s thrilling to be the first owner of a new, just out of the box guitar, the reality of a dealer purchased guitar is the markup in price and money lost if you decide to resell it. I’ve had really good luck buying used guitars. You might want to shop right here on Delcamp for a guitar in your price range.
When I’ve bought used in the past the first thing I do is go to a repair person to check the string height and structural integrity and have the saddle adjusted if it’s too high or replaced if too low. Then I install a set of strings that I prefer. So far this has resulted in me being happy with each of the guitars I’ve owned. Oh, some of them have had playing marks or a slight dent, all of which go unnoticed after I’ve played it for a while.
So, be bold; try something used and old.
Richard Brune 'Artist' Cedar/Brazilian 1996

Bernhard Heimann

Post by Bernhard Heimann » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:08 pm

Two other proposals to try:
Hopf Super Classic
Hopf Professional
both in the price range of 2200-2700 EUR.

Bernhard

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”