Yamaha C-530

SeanWinkler

Yamaha C-530

Post by SeanWinkler » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:59 pm

A friend asked me for advice on this, but I haven't come across that model before. It's a local craigslist ad, and the guitar looks to be in overall good shape except for a split in the fingerboard. It looks like an entry-level guitar from the photos, but I can't tell if the top is solid. Based on the seller's description it sounds like this was made for the Japanese market.

Anyone have info on this model?
Remember Anthony Weller, please help. Contact myself or Aaron Green for details.

Beowulf

Re: Yamaha C-530

Post by Beowulf » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:20 pm

Is this instrument full size?
1971 Yamaha GC-10 (Hideyuki Ezaki)
2017 Yamaha GC82S (Akio Naniki/Naohiro Kawashima)

SeanWinkler

Post by SeanWinkler » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:09 pm

Beowulf wrote: ↑
Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:20 pm
Is this instrument full size?
Not sure. I haven't seen it in person, but from the photos it does appear to be full size. I can't post a direct link, but it's in the Boston craigslist ads right now.

Edit--just checked the ad, and it is listed as full-size.
Remember Anthony Weller, please help. Contact myself or Aaron Green for details.

Scott Phillips

Post by Scott Phillips » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:59 am

Explain to the seller what is involved with making a sadde and fixing the crack, and maybe he will take less👍🏻

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:57 pm

It is difficult to tell the exact manufacturing details from the picture of the label...however, this appears to be a very early model. The label references a "?Kalung Yamaha Company Ltd?" and some some relation to Nippon Gakki? A clearer picture of the label might clarify the origin.
1971 Yamaha GC-10 (Hideyuki Ezaki)
2017 Yamaha GC82S (Akio Naniki/Naohiro Kawashima)

SeanWinkler

Post by SeanWinkler » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:22 pm

Beowulf wrote: ↑
Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:57 pm
It is difficult to tell the exact manufacturing details from the picture of the label...however, this appears to be a very early model. The label references a "?Kalung Yamaha Company Ltd?" and some some relation to Nippon Gakki? A clearer picture of the label might clarify the origin.
I've found a few other C-530 ads on Asian sites, and it looks like this was made in the Kaohsiung factory in Taiwan (maybe for the local export market?). My main question is whether the top is solid. I've sent an inquiry to Yamaha so hopefully I'll hear something.

dta721

Post by dta721 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:34 pm

Try asking Barry Ryan at support@yamaha.ca, he is very knowledgeable being around for a long time, also a guitar player! :okok:

jayjayrose

Post by jayjayrose » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:29 pm

Hi Sean,
At that price, it's almost hard to imagine it not being a good deal if it has any sound at all. Are they on a limited budget trying to find a diamond in the rough?
"…that all-pervading talisman of Spanish pleasure, the guitar." -Washington Irving

SeanWinkler

Post by SeanWinkler » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:20 pm

jayjayrose wrote: ↑
Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:29 pm
Hi Sean,
At that price, it's almost hard to imagine it not being a good deal if it has any sound at all. Are they on a limited budget trying to find a diamond in the rough?
There is a colleague at work who plays electric and steel string acoustic, but he wants to "dabble" with classical. I get occasional requests for this kind of thing and I really enjoy helping people find their first classical guitar. In this case, I've received a few more photos from the seller. Looks like a laminated top, and the fingerboard may be separating from the top along the treble edge. Given the fingerboard crack as well, I'm guessing the guitar got really dry at some point. It's probably still playable and may not be a bad entry-level guitar. If it was closer I might check it out, but since it also doesn't have strings right now it seems like a lot of uncertainty, even for the low price.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”