Cordoba C12 vs Esteso

7nights

Cordoba C12 vs Esteso

Post by 7nights » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:37 am

Hello everybody. This is my first post here. It seems to me that it's the best place for my question because it's such a developed and strong community of classical guitar players, so I'd assume lots of people here have their pretty reasonable points of view. I really need some as I'm in the market for a classical guitar. THE classical guitar.

A little bit of background. Played classical guitar since I was 13, actively for about 5-6 years, went to school for it. Then switched my focus to electric, formed a band, played for 4 more years, alternative music, blues, etc. Then dropped it. Years later, turning 30+, feeling like I need a keeper - an instrument that'd I'd want to keep for the rest of my life, refresh and play all the pieces that I used to play. Sold my old electric and everything else, would like to get the right guitar. Have time for hunting for the right one. But just like lots of people here, debating a lot.

Budget: 1K-1.5K.
Visited multiple guitar stores several times. Didn't play top-notch Kenny Hills or anything like that...wouldn't call myself a guitar snob. Tried multiple Cordobas and Kremonas (w.e they have in Sam Ash and GC). Figured I really liked Kremona Fiesta, Cordoba C12 (played SP, aimed for CD). But now I found a nice used Esteso CD for a price of a new C12. Didn't have a chance to play it, though. Please, whoever has an experience playing both, how would you personally compare those two guitars and what would you recommend, in my case? All answers are highly appreciated.

Thanks.

George Crocket

Re: Cordoba C12 vs Esteso

Post by George Crocket » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:46 am

Hi 7nights. Welcome to the forum. Your post has been moved to this area of the forum for the reason that it is designed to help with exactly the kind of query you have put. :) I am sure you will get helpful responses soon.

Meantime, we ask new members to introduce themselves here. The audience is slightly different there, and it is the part of the forum where everyone can find a little background about other members. :discussion: It is also a trigger for you to receive one or two links which are designed to make your use of the forum a bit more effective. :contrat:
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

souldier

Post by souldier » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:51 pm

I've played almost the entire Cordoba line from the lower end to the master series. The esteso in my honest opinion wasn't all that impressive and didn't seem to have much going for it. Since you've played the C12 and like it, that is a much safer bet. I'd expect that you'll get a wider dynamic range from the C12. The C12 however doesn't have as much of the traditional, complex tone that I personally like in classical guitars however.

I certainly wouldn't limit myself to the few options you've mentioned, especially if you want a "keeper" that will stick with you throughout your life. In or around your price range, I'd also look into a Yamaha GC32, German Vasquez Estudio, Ramirez, De Cascia Sylvia, vintage Japanese guitars, and some others. Buying used of course will get you more value for the money.

Figuring out what you want in a guitar is also important and may take some experimentation. When I was still new to CG, I really wanted a guitar with monstrous volume. After owning and playing a tonne of different guitars, I've come to discover that beauty and complexity of tone is what draws me back to the guitar. If you can travel around to different guitar dealers and play guitars even well beyond your price range, it will give you a sense of what is out there. Then you can pursue the guitar of your dreams while still staying within your price range.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:20 pm

Your two best bets in that price range - for new - would be a Yamaha GC22, or GC32 for a bit more, or a Francisco Navarro Student model.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

7nights

Post by 7nights » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:58 am

souldier,
Thank you so much for your detailed response. It's very much a journey for me, indeed. I'll keep you posted about my new discoveries, and definitely not in a rush to buy one soon. I'll keep saving up and wait for the right one, meanwhile exploring guitar dealers.

Thanks.

7nights

Post by 7nights » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:59 am

Ramon Amira wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:20 pm
Your two best bets in that price range - for new - would be a Yamaha GC22, or GC32 for a bit more, or a Francisco Navarro Student model.

Ramon
Could you elaborate why Yamaha?

dta721

Post by dta721 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:51 am

7nights: If you Google "M. Sakurai No.7 1975", you'll find a store in Toronto selling this (pretty much sought after) guitar for less than 1K Canadians $. Since they sell on Reverb before, I am sure they can ship to you with ease!

For this kind of guitar, I'd say you can buy without trying it out, being a proud owner of a M. Sakurai No. 5 1976!
Last edited by dta721 on Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:40 pm

A new guitar aside, you would be hard pressed to find a better bargain than a used guitar made by any one of a number of fine Japanese luthiers, assuming you can get a reasonable price.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:45 pm

7nights wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:59 am
Ramon Amira wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:20 pm

Ramon
Could you elaborate why Yamaha?
Obviously because they are outstanding guitars for the price. Especially the GC32. In my post I said "for new." Used is almost always the best way to go, but you have to know what your're doing.

Ramon

7nights

Post by 7nights » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:46 pm

Yes, I'm solely considering used, for sure.

7nights

Post by 7nights » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:52 pm

Ramon, would you please share with me TOP-3 used Japanese luthier-made models to go, in that price range, just to know what to aim for?

Thanks a lot for taking your time and sharing opinions guys.

7nights

Post by 7nights » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:51 pm

Guys, the budget all the sudden changes to $700-800 limit.

dta721

Post by dta721 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:41 pm

7nights wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:51 pm
Guys, the budget all the sudden changes to $700-800 limit.
If you live in the continental US, you may consider this listing:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=120901&p=1290946#p1290946
:chitarrista:

MrF1

Post by MrF1 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:31 pm

You might want to take a look at the Cordoba C9 if you're now in the $700-800 range. I owned one for a few years and it was an outstanding guitar - I was hesitant about a mahogany b&s classical guitar, but there's something about the C9 that works quite well. I actually prefer the C9 over both the C10 and C12. Good luck!

MessyTendon
Amateur luthier

Post by MessyTendon » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:25 am

No experience with either, but you can always do better than Cordoba.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”