LaMancha classical guitars

Boya

LaMancha classical guitars

Post by Boya » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:05 pm

I am thinking of donating a few new guitars to certain school where guitar classes are offered to younger students. I have seen an ad on LaMancha guitars (sold by Strings By Mail) endorsed by the LAGQ. Has anyone tested entry-level LaMancha guitars? Prices are great, but not sure of the sound/build quality. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

guitarrista

Re: LaMancha classical guitars

Post by guitarrista » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:16 pm

They sure are the result of a quixotic effort! :wink:
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

Boya

Post by Boya » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:41 pm

Yeah, but it's made in China! :)

rwe

Post by rwe » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:29 pm

Great for the price. In Germany they are recommended for years by the European Guitar Teacher Association (EGTA, egta-d.de) and I tried some of their low-price models in the store over a few years. Quality was consistent. For a beginner I think it''s a very good Instrument. In Germany the RUBI SM/CM is available for ca. 260€ and IMHO as student you can play it for years, the next reasonable step is into the ca. 800€ range. (It's not as good as some guitars in the 500€ range, but the difference is very small...) The sound decreases a little bit beyond the 5th or 6th fret, that's (for me) the most important difference to the mid-priced instruments.

Boya

Post by Boya » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:33 pm

rwe wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:29 pm
Great for the price. In Germany they are recommended for years by the European Guitar Teacher Association (EGTA, egta-d.de) and I tried some of their low-price models in the store over a few years. Quality was consistent. For a beginner I think it''s a very good Instrument. In Germany the RUBI SM/CM is available for ca. 260€ and IMHO as student you can play it for years, the next reasonable step is into the ca. 800€ range. (It's not as good as some guitars in the 500€ range, but the difference is very small...) The sound decreases a little bit beyond the 5th or 6th fret, that's (for me) the most important difference to the mid-priced instruments.
Thank you so much for your feedback. Sounds like pretty decent entry-level guitars. I am impressed that they offer a variety of scale length and nut width options.

Christopher Langley
Student of the online lessons

Post by Christopher Langley » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:51 pm

Very awesome of you to think about donating some guitars Boya.

I wanna grow up to be like you one day.
Working on: D01- Lesson 4
Playing: Corboda CP110: D'addario EJ27N

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:51 pm

Boya

Post by Boya » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:07 am

Christopher Langley wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:51 pm

Thanks for your kind feedback, Christopher. After I retired a few years ago, I started to think differently about life in general and the importance of education and support many under-privileged kids could use.

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:16 am

Boya wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:07 am
Christopher Langley wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:51 pm

Thanks for your kind feedback, Christopher. After I retired a few years ago, I started to think differently about life in general and the importance of education and support many under-privileged kids could use.
Children are the future. Many kids and people in general, do not have access to the proper resources to thrive. Really a shame. It should be more of a priority to our society.. But we are all too busy chasing the dollar to open our eyes.

We leave far too many of our brightest minds behind.

rwe

Post by rwe » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:49 am

... and often it is so easy to support these children...
I change my strings on my main guitar(s) every 3 months or so (I'm testing some string sets), and these strings are of course good enough to be played for some more months. So I give them to a mother in my company whose daughter starts with guitar in a public culture house. -
I've found some music stands in the garbage of a school, it took a few minutes and some cheap spare parts (screws) to repair them. The mother was happy.
I've got some old and simple but sufficant (Intonation and playability) nylon string guitars for nothing or a few € - we can lean them to the children in the neighborhood. A few minutes and a few cents for a setup, some strings (see above...) - ready.
My wife bought some (pretty good) plastic recorders for 1€ each in a sale (original price ca. 20€). So she can use them in the classroom... And she is making percussion instruments with the children in the primary school.

And so I'm glad to see instruments like the LaMancha in the market. I'm playing in an amateur orchestra. I like good instruments and I spent some money for my instruments. But I would have no problems to use a cheap LaMancha in this orchestra.
Last edited by rwe on Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:00 am

rwe wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:49 am
Yes, exactly. You sound like an awesome person rwe. Thanks for thinking of those less fortunate. They need it.

Boya

Post by Boya » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:52 am

rwe wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:49 am
I change my strings on my main guitar(s) every 3 months or so (I'm testing some string sets), and these strings are of course good enough to be played for some more months. So I give them to a mother in my company whose daughter starts with guitar in a public culture house. -
I've found some music stands in the garbage of a school, it took a few minutes and some cheap spare parts (screws) to repair them. The mother was happy.
I've got some old and simple but sufficant (Intonation and playability) nylon string guitars for nothing or a few € - we can lean them to the children in the neighborhood. A few minutes and a few cents for a setup, some strings (see above...) - ready.
My wife bought some (pretty good) plastic recorders for 1€ each in a sale (original price ca. 20€). So she can use them in the classroom... And she is making percussion instruments with the children in the primary school.

And so I'm glad to see instruments like the LaMancha in the market. I'm playing in an amateur orchestra. I like good instruments and I spent some money for my instruments. But I would have no problems to use a cheap LaMancha in this orchestra.
Thanks for sharing your interesting perspective, rwe. It is a humbling experience for me to observe kids enjoying and learning music with cheap instruments. When my sons were babies, they loved some simplest, inexpensive toys as opposed to sophisticated, expensive toys we bought for their birthdays. We (including myself) often become too fussy about technical and prestige aspects of instruments and lose focus on what we are really trying to do with the instruments. I will seriously consider donating LaMancha guitars that are more than adequate for young beginners.

rwe

Post by rwe » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:13 am

Boya wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:52 am
It is a humbling experience for me to observe kids enjoying and learning music with cheap instruments.
Yes, it is! But from my point of view it is important that the cheap instruments are instruments, not toys: You can buy on Amazon etc. some "ukes" or "guitars" which have no correct Intonation (for example caused by a wrongly located Bridge). To buy these things is a mistake - in my ears.

BethFR

Post by BethFR » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:19 pm

I ordered one in 630 scale and returned it. There was an annoying prominent buzz on all frets of the D string that did not go away when I changed strings, or raised the string at the nut. My guitar teacher said he thought it had some high frets. I was not willing to put $ into fiddling with it when I wasn't sure it would fix the problem. But I have to say that I have found this to be a common problem with most, if not all factory short scale instruments made in China. I have ordered and sent back at least 4 different ones.

I recommend Kremona or Yamaha as student instruments that are available in a variety of scale lengths and price points.

Boya

Post by Boya » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:05 pm

OK, I will watch out for the buzzing issues. Which string brand/type/tension do you like to use with your 630's?

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”