Neumann USM69 vs. Superlux S502 guitar/oud shootout

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
rojarosguitar

Neumann USM69 vs. Superlux S502 guitar/oud shootout

Post by rojarosguitar » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:07 pm

I tested Neumann USM69 LDC Stereo microphone in XY cardioids config against Superlux S502 ORTF stereo SDC.

Now this is certainly not a fair comparison, but then, why not?

The test is not conducted 'scientific way' it's rather practice oriented real life situation application test. The stereo microphones were broght as close as possible together and approx. 75 cm away und a bit up from the player; the M160 pointing to the 12th fret approc. 40cm from the top.
Here's the link:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/umdblvrkgn0t ... 7Qo0a?dl=0

These are 5 different takes mixed down (coresponding numbers):
- only with S502
- only with USM69
- with USM69, with a mid channel recorded closer with Beyerdynamic M160

which I'm testing for my personal use in acoustically more difficult situations (like playing classical guitar or oud with cello which is quite a bit louder, especially in lively acoustics).

The file names are basically self-explanatory.

I'm curious what you say...

The recording are, apart from mixing in Protools 12 native totally unprocessed 96/24 interleaved wav files.

(recorded directly into Tascam HS-P82)
Last edited by rojarosguitar on Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...
My Youtube Channel is: TheMusicalEvents

rojarosguitar

Re: Neumann USM69 vs. Superlux S502 guitar/oud shootout

Post by rojarosguitar » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:40 am

bump...
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:11 pm

It's a pity nobody wants to comment on the sound ... I'm not asking to like my playing :lol:

rwe

Post by rwe » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:35 pm

Hi rojaro,

in my environment I have to download the audio files... So it's a problem to do this additionally to try to hear some differences on a mediocre Laptop :-/ Sorry...

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:53 am

Well, yes, the download is necessitated by the wish to leave the files in full resolution, uncompressed...
But thanks for the response, anyway...

el_guitarrero

Post by el_guitarrero » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:21 am

Hello, the s502 has a very good sound considering its price! But the Neumanns have more body, and a better overall „harmony“ between high and lows. Sounds fuller and rounder. (Not sooo much, but it is noticeable).

The mix with m160 is even fuller, suits even better for guitar.
Hope this helps...
Thanks for all your testings, recording cg is a rabbit hole. Glad i am out of it again:-)

Regards

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:02 pm

Thanks for your comment, I see it same way...

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”