Post one technique that changed your playing

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
davekear

Re: Post one technique that changed your playing

Post by davekear » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:02 am

Conservation of movement. This includes left hand exercises where you use just the right amount of pressure to get a clean note, and no more. And of course a very relaxed right hand to go along with that. Critical for challenging pieces where you got to MOVE! I'll show you an example here. Here's my interpretation of J.S. Bach's BWV 0996- Gigue. Tough piece. Got to be very light on the fingers for this one.

Larry McDonald
Teacher

Post by Larry McDonald » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:55 pm

Wow. Very nice Dave. Your efficiency in the left-hand looks elegant and bullet proof. But we both know that this level of effortless mastery is the result of careful study. The above video is some of the best playing I've seen on this forum.
Lare
Dr. Lawrence A. McDonald, D.M.A., Art Kaplan Fellow
Author of The Conservatory Tutor for Guitar
2018 Michael Thames "Ancient Dragon" Cd/Ir
2008 Michael Thames Cd/Br
Royal Conservatory Advanced Guitar and Theory Instructor

Impresario

Post by Impresario » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:24 pm

Congratulations, davekear. A wonderful and spectacular performance.

The technique that changed my playing was to approach the tremolo as an arpeggio on one string.Only then was I able
to maintain consistency qua rhythm and timbre.
I doubt however that I will ever be able to achieve 144 BPM, a typical tempo for RDLA.
Having started CG at age 52, five years ago, I would not be surprised if that tempo is just out of my reach ( I should mention that
I learned some strumming on the acoustic with plectrum at the boyscouts, from age 12.)
Did anyone ever achieve this, having started CG at such an advanced age?

davekear

Post by davekear » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:25 pm

Larry McDonald wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:55 pm
Wow. Very nice Dave. Your efficiency in the left-hand looks elegant and bullet proof. But we both know that this level of effortless mastery is the result of careful study. The above video is some of the best playing I've seen on this forum.
Lare
Thanks Larry. Appreciate the compliment. And yea, you're right, I did forget to mention one really important technique that can change your playing. And this is it: Don't put the guitar down! :) Well that's not totally true, you can pick it up when you wake up in the morning, and you can put it down when you go to sleep at night.

davekear

Post by davekear » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:08 am

davekear wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:02 am
Conservation of movement. This includes left hand exercises where you use just the right amount of pressure to get a clean note, and no more. And of course a very relaxed right hand to go along with that. Critical for challenging pieces where you got to MOVE! I'll show you an example here. Here's my interpretation of J.S. Bach's BWV 0996- Gigue. Tough piece. Got to be very light on the fingers for this one.
Rethinking this just a bit, I'd have to say there are many things to consider, and limiting yourself to just one technique...well is limiting. But of everything one can do to get the most out of the classical guitar, to become the best player you can be, as quick as possible.... the one most important thing you can do is to get yourself a good private teacher. Have a formal lesson once a weak. Make sure you get a teacher who plays well. Stick to the formal lessons for at least 1 year. There is no more single, important thing you can do.

Dirck Nagy

Post by Dirck Nagy » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:13 pm

davekear wrote:
Conservation of movement. ...
Hi Dave
Great performance of this! I was impressed by the clarity of your LH shifts & have a question for you as a teacher:

When introducing shifts to students, do you ever teach them to "lead" with either wrist or elbow? Make a shoulder movement? Or something else?

I'm curious because you arent sitting in a "traditional" position, but it works very well for you. How do you have your students sit?

cheers!
dirck

SteveL123

Post by SteveL123 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:37 pm

Dirck Nagy wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:13 pm
davekear wrote:
Hi Dave
Great performance of this! I was impressed by the clarity of your LH shifts & have a question for you as a teacher:

When introducing shifts to students, do you ever teach them to "lead" with either wrist or elbow? Make a shoulder movement? Or something else?

I'm curious because you arent sitting in a "traditional" position, but it works very well for you. How do you have your students sit?

cheers!
dirck
Impressive performance indeed! Dave, it's all in the nails right? :bravo:

andreas777

Post by andreas777 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:44 pm

Playing in public with audience but I guess this isn't really a "technique".
Specifying the RH fingering so I play a piece (memorized or not) always with the same RH fingering.
Happiness is when what you think what you say and what you do are in harmony.

davekear

Post by davekear » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:00 pm

SteveL123 wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:37 pm
Dirck Nagy wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:13 pm
davekear wrote:
Hi Dave

cheers!
dirck
Impressive performance indeed! Dave, it's all in the nails right? :bravo:
Motion is mostly from the elbow, wrist doesn't move much except for its natural movement. So you'd lead with your elbow. Form is very important in the left hand. Coming straight down on the strings so that you don't block strings inadvertently. Fundamentals are important. Good rest and free stroke. Make sure that you practice many hours on some days. When you're really warmed up...that's when the magic often happens. All of a sudden you're effortlessly playing things you couldn't play before. Play with people who are better than you. Get a good teacher. And yea, I sit wrong. I'm an old rock-n-roller, what can I say. (I do use a Dynerette cushion).There's a few of us out there. Grisha Goryachev comes to mind. But sitting in the more traditional way has more advantages than the way I sit. So I do recommend it. So do what I say, not what I do. :) And yes fingernails are very important. I have perfect nails all of the time. This allows for complete prediction as to what my sound and touch will be....always. I can remove an old nail, put on a new one and be ready to play in 3 minutes. I can do that all day long if I want. I've been in fingernail heaven for many years now. It really is a great thing.

Melonchon

Post by Melonchon » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:59 am

Crabwalk. It's playing octaves on the first 4 frets in with speed and accuracy. Really improved my finger placement and improved chord to single note transitions .

ben etow

Post by ben etow » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:02 pm

The first time I tried feeling the strings.

Contreras

Post by Contreras » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:45 pm

Larry McDonald wrote:
Lare
+1 ... Outstanding performance Dave
In your later post you mention perfect nails all the time, and replacing one so quickly. Could you tell us a bit more about your nail 'system'?
Thanks
Simon
1929 Francisco Simplicio
1997 Manuel Contreras Doble tapa

davekear

Post by davekear » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:10 pm

Contreras wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:45 pm
Larry McDonald wrote:
Lare
+1 ... Outstanding performance Dave
In your later post you mention perfect nails all the time, and replacing one so quickly. Could you tell us a bit more about your nail 'system'?
Thanks
Simon
Sure, It's guitarplayernails.com

Contreras

Post by Contreras » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:40 pm

Did it take you long to get used to them?
1929 Francisco Simplicio
1997 Manuel Contreras Doble tapa

davekear

Post by davekear » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:48 pm

One technique I really like is just using i and p for solos. I've only been doing it for about a year or so, and really like it.
Here's a quick little demo of some scales:

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”