Best online lessons?

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
crazyrach97

Best online lessons?

Post by crazyrach97 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:34 pm

I'm considering a couple of options for taking lessons, with online being the most appealing due to the nearest CG teacher is a considerable drive. I've been checking out the classical guitar corner. Does anyone have any experience with them, or with any of the others? Any thoughts on which is best?

Whiteagle

Re: Best online lessons?

Post by Whiteagle » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:12 pm

Hi Rachel. You probably know my suggestion which is classical guitar corner as you can get one on one live feedback in addition to the fantastic teaching resourses. Sign up to the newsletter and listen to a few podcats to get a feel for simons excellent communication style. Yes its a bit of money to fork out for an annual membership but in dont think anything else out there comes close. The woodshed has a lot of useful videos and you can sign up for a month but you dont get live feedbacl. Artistworks also has good teaching resourses but it takes too long to get feeback on submitted videos. You sound pretty serious so you should look at making an investment with classical guitar corner. You get: fantastic teaching material, live feedback, supportive community. You can even do certificate courses. I have tried all three online programs and CGC wins it hands down.

crazyrach97

Post by crazyrach97 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:41 pm

Whiteagle wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:12 pm
Hi Rachel. You probably know my suggestion which is classical guitar corner as you can get one on one live feedback in addition to the fantastic teaching resourses. Sign up to the newsletter and listen to a few podcats to get a feel for simons excellent communication style. Yes its a bit of money to fork out for an annual membership but in dont think anything else out there comes close. The woodshed has a lot of useful videos and you can sign up for a month but you dont get live feedbacl. Artistworks also has good teaching resourses but it takes too long to get feeback on submitted videos. You sound pretty serious so you should look at making an investment with classical guitar corner. You get: fantastic teaching material, live feedback, supportive community. You can even do certificate courses. I have tried all three online programs and CGC wins it hands down.
Thanks. I already signed up for the free sample lessons over at CGC this morning and I agree... the guy has a really clear way of explaining and demonstrating stuff. And honestly $350 for a year-long membership is peanuts compared to what a live teacher costs. Not even an amount of money. I haven't decided for sure on anything but that's the direction I'm leaning.

Dirck Nagy

Post by Dirck Nagy » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:16 pm

why not Delcamp?

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Post by Rick Beauregard » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:29 pm

I’m a Delcamp graduate of D06. I think the lessons are great. Best part they’re free. The graded rep collections are really a great contribution. The other great thing about it is the student networking online. I’ve made friends with students from around the world. The downside is that you don’t really get instruction. Real teachers rarely chime in on the lessons. Feedback from our peers is very valuable, but they’re not teachers. If you’ve never had lessons on correct posture, left and right hand technique and sound production as a beginner, you won’t really get this from Delcamp. If you’ve not listened or studied a lot of classical music, this area may be lacking too. I see even in advance Delcamp students a lack of musicality and tone in some.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

crazyrach97

Post by crazyrach97 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:02 pm

Dirck Nagy wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:16 pm
why not Delcamp?
Because of what Rick just said, basically. Without evaluation from an actual teacher it's just a self-study method, and I have access to plenty of those.

fraim

Post by fraim » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:22 pm

as a member of classical guitar corner & working on my 4th yr of membership i also give a resounding endorsement of simon powis & his teaching methodology. if you evaluate his program via his "free" sample lessons & you're not convinced, then walk away & it's cost you nothing. give it a try & if you have further questions about cgc PM me & i'll try to help. additionally, my wife & i have met simon in nyc at a cg performance & he's a super laid back person & fun to talk with.
best

DCGillrich

Post by DCGillrich » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:30 am

I can also highly recommend CGC. It is an extremely well structured program. Simon's Powis' teaching style is easy going (even through his videos). The community of members is very active, and the forums are a rich source of information and friendships. Members are based all around the world. Some members supplement CGC with private lessons.

Depending on the membership tier, you will also have access to great teachers each week, including Dave Belcher, Chonnie Sheu, and Kevin Gallagher, through "Office Hours" (and, of course, Simon Powis, through the teaching material, evaluations, and a monthly online session). CGC also has an annual Summer School held near Boston each year. I joined in December 2016 as an "experienced" (perhaps perpetual) beginner, now progressing into intermediate level. Simon, and most of the teaching staff are based in or around New York, although Connie is based in LA. I am 14,000 km away, and travel worldwide frequently, but it all works very effectively for me.

Cheers... Richard

wil weten

Post by wil weten » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:32 am

Almost two weeks ago, I discovered https://www.thisisclassicalguitar.com/lessons/ and started working on the (downloadable for free, no strings attached) Method Book 1. The accompanying free video lessons are great. I like the very gradual way in which pieces become more difficult. For the moment, I'm just doing fine with this book and videos. I already bought book 2 from Amazon (it can also be downloaded for less than ten dollars) and expect to start in it in just a few weeks.

Maybe, I will buy some private online lessons from the professional guitar teacher Bradford Werner later on in order to get some personal feedback, but for now, I am just enjoying trying to get my fingers back on the guitar and hoping I will reach at least the same, early intermediate level, as I already reached many moons ago.

chien buggle

Post by chien buggle » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:25 pm

I'm not sure if people are aware of this but basically any professional guitarist will be willing to do Skype lessons. If there is a player you really like I suggest contacting them through their website. Might be expensive depending on the individual but there are a huge number of options out there for online learning

Maria Anisimova
Student of the online lessons

Post by Maria Anisimova » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:18 am

I wonder if there exists such a course which in addition to a plan of lessons offers feedback, lets us say once a month, from the professor about the pupil's video recordings? I do not mean Skype lessons in real time. As far as I understand, Powiss courses provide a wealth of material but not much feedback on a regular basis as students are not required to post their recordings. Correct me, if I am wrong, please.
Yamaha SLG N100

JoFish

Post by JoFish » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:41 pm

You can also check up on "tonebase". The website contains useful content and You may be able to find an instructor.
"Tell me what/how to think, so I can say the words you want to hear"

JRomano

Post by JRomano » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:49 pm

Jason Vieaux on Artistworks has an excellent program. And Tavi Jinariu teaches on his Elite Guitarist website.

DCGillrich

Post by DCGillrich » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:11 pm

Hi Maria

Anyone who posts videos or sound file of pieces (including technical exercises) they are playing in the Classical Guitar Corner Academy (CGCA), either in their Progress Journal or the Student Showcase, will get feedback. The feedback comes from other members, either as encouragement or, from the more experienced players, helpful advice. Very often, the Community Manager, Dave Belcher (who is also one of the tutors), will comment. Sometimes one of the other tutors (Kevin Gallagher and Connie Sheu) chip in with suggestions.

To get more formal feedback from Simon Powis or one of the three tutors, members can: (a) participate in the Member Challenges held every couple of months [each focused on a particular facet--this month is 2- or 3-octave arpeggios; progress videos must be posted every week]; and/or (b) book a slot in Office Hours in which one of the tutors will offer advice on any element of playing, or a piece, or discuss questions, that each member elects--slots are available most weeks over a reasonable range of time zones; and/or (c) opt to play at a live member event held once per month--detailed feedback will be given by Simon; and/or (d) participate in the formal courses, covering theory, technical work, and repertoire, which are formally evaluated through submitted videos; this is moving to an 8-level grade system in September 2018; and/or (e) participate in an annual summer school near Boston, USA.

I participate in (a)--(d) myself. Maybe I will try to addend the summer school in 2019, but I live 12,000 km away. There is quite detailed information about all of this on the CGCA website, and you can join month-by-month to try it out before committing to an annual subscription. You have to be an annual member to be involved in (b) and (d), also depending on the membership tier. Anyone, member or not, can attend the summer school.

Cheers... Richard

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:06 pm

The best online way of learning is with regular lessons via Skype from a professional. It’s pretty close to an in-person lesson, though it can be fairly expensive over the long haul. Apart from that, the Delcamp lessons are free, and as you proceed if you ever have any questions about technique or your playing/playing progress you can post them as a regular post under “Classical Guitar Lessons>Classical Guitar Technique,” and frequently get feedback from professional members. If I'm not mistaken you can even post videos and audios of your playing and get feedback. This strikes me as an excellent option per se, and won’t cost a cent. Why pay for no instruction/occasional feedback when you can get the same for free, and most likely even more feedback, and faster.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”