Cuban Landscape With Rain by Brouwer

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Ben Hoffman

Cuban Landscape With Rain by Brouwer

Post by Ben Hoffman » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:59 pm

Has anyone noticed that the hammer-on/pull-off section of Brouwer's 20th etude is contained within Cuban Landscape with Rain? I was just listening to LAGQ's performance of the piece and realized it. In their performance it occurs at 4:11, can't say for other performances. It sounds really cool with four players playing it. (Perhaps each sticking to one of the subsections?)

This is really awesome to me because I *always* thought of that section of the 20th as being like flowing water, specifically river rapids, but he used it as a thunderstorm.

wingarratta

Re: Cuban Landscape With Rain by Brouwer

Post by wingarratta » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:50 pm

Ben Hoffman wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:59 pm
Has anyone noticed that the hammer-on/pull-off section of Brouwer's 20th etude is contained within Cuban Landscape with Rain?
The more Brouwer you listen to, the more you will encounter familiar passages in different contexts. He's a great recycler of musical ideas.
This is really awesome to me because I *always* thought of that section of the 20th as being like flowing water, specifically river rapids, but he used it as a thunderstorm.
"Great minds think alike." It's nice to have confirmation that you are on the right wavelength.
"When I meet people who are passionate about the guitar to the exclusion of every other kind of music, it irritates me profoundly" - J. Bream

Return to “Public Space”