Buying Daniel Mari

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
rojarosguitar

Buying Daniel Mari

Post by rojarosguitar » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:49 pm

Hello,

I try to buy Daniel Mari strings through the online shop of Bil Ostrie. I got through with Paypal Payment, but didn't get any confirmation from Bil Ostrie,contrary to my experiences with my earlier transactions.

Is his shop still functional? Does anybody know something about the current state of affairs?

Thanks for your help

best wishes
Robert
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

My Youtube Channel is: TheMusicalEvents

jscott

Re: Buying Daniel Mari

Post by jscott » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:17 pm

My experience is that Bill tends to be slow to respond. I hear from him when he's about to ship my order. And that can take several days. He shipped out some strings to me several weeks ago and it took even longer than usual; I had the same questions as you.

dta721

Post by dta721 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:32 pm

I ordered a few sets shipping to Canada on Aug 6, followed up with an email on Aug 14, received an email from Bill apologizing for the slow response that he "threw" an extra set in the shipment :okok: with a tracking number. Thus I could monitor the progress (a bit slow to ship from San Diego, then crossing the border to Canada). I received them now, also appreciate the extra set (forgot to take note of the date).

Since you are from Europe, it would take more time, but no harm to ask for a status.

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:41 pm

Thanks for the comforting news!
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

Dartez82

Post by Dartez82 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:19 pm

I ordered from him and had the same experience. No confirmation email. After 2 weeks of not receiving the strings I emailed him and he said the order did not ship due to a clerical error. He gave me extra strings as a result of the error. How do people stay in business this way?

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:51 pm

:lol: Finally got a delayed answer ... and an extra set of strings ... plus tracking number. All is good!

bauersachs82

Post by bauersachs82 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:39 pm

rojarosguitar wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:51 pm
:lol: Finally got a delayed answer ... and an extra set of strings ... plus tracking number. All is good!
Same thing happened to me recently. Some other threads have noted that he's had some shipment errors too. Customers received the wrong strings or the strings treble sets weren't labelled, etc.

es335

Post by es335 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:48 pm

I’m a bit frustrated after discovering that most of the g strings had serious ovality issues (0.97-1.12mm) and one or two of the b and e strings had different gauges. That’s really a pitty as they are still the best Nylon treble strings.

jscott

Post by jscott » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:26 pm

It's possible there are problems at the Mari end of things...I heard a bit ago from one dealer that Daniel Mari was thinking of retiring.

I haven't heard back from Ostrie for about ten days concerning my order. He's also comped me strings when things were delayed at the factory end (or maybe Ostrie had under-ordered himself.)

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:25 pm

My strings arrived at my brothers' place few days ago, with an additional set for the delay ...

Well, everything is impermanent, so we have consider the possibility of Mr. Mari retiring, and us retiring etc... etc ...

Scott Phillips

Post by Scott Phillips » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:34 pm

I just placed an order on Friday. Hopefully things go smoother than last time. I ordered, mostly, 100P B and E strings. Have had some strings mispackaged in the past. If there was anything better, as far as nylon goes, I would switch to something else. I've been using Knobloch carbon G with these, and Cantiga basses.

jscott

Post by jscott » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:48 pm

I hate to say that my last order was even slower than before, but it's in the mail along with some comped sets of trebles. a good strategy might be to place a larger order for the 100P trebles (I only buy those) and then place any new order well in advance.

However...I'm really liking the Ramirez normal tension strings with a carbon G on my spruce. Moreover it's possible that the Ramirez trebles last longer than the Mari's. I'm going to try the Mari plus a Knobloch carbon G and Cantiga basses on the next switch and then decide the way forward. It could be that the Knobloch G added to the Mari set will tip the balance back to those strings.

Scott Phillips

Post by Scott Phillips » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:54 am

jscott wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:48 pm
I hate to say that my last order was even slower than before, but it's in the mail along with some comped sets of trebles. a good strategy might be to place a larger order for the 100P trebles (I only buy those) and then place any new order well in advance.

However...I'm really liking the Ramirez normal tension strings with a carbon G on my spruce. Moreover it's possible that the Ramirez trebles last longer than the Mari's. I'm going to try the Mari plus a Knobloch carbon G and Cantiga basses on the next switch and then decide the way forward. It could be that the Knobloch G added to the Mari set will tip the balance back to those strings.
That's the combination that I currently use. The Knobloch carbon G blends in well with the Cantiga basses and Mari B and E.

Scott Phillips

Post by Scott Phillips » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:12 pm

I just got an email from Bill Ostrie. It seems that he is waiting on his shipment from the factory. So if any of you are wondering why it’s taking so long, that is why.

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:03 pm

I ordered Mari treble strings two times. Though I didnt get a confirmation as well the shipping was smooth and fast. Recommendable supplier.
Fritz Ober, Torres/Hauser model, 2010, spruce/maple
Giovanni Tacchi, Bouchet model, spruce/BRAZ, 2018

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”