Shure MV88 iOS microphone - Great Tool

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
rojarosguitar

Shure MV88 iOS microphone - Great Tool

Post by rojarosguitar » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:15 pm

For those of you, who need a tool to document their work without draging a lot of equipment around - if you are equipped with an iPhone (with a lightning connector) there is a great little robust mic on the market: Shure MV88 Mid-Side mic.

It works with the camera (in some kind of generic stereo mode) and with most recoriding apps including Shure Motiv app. But you get the most of it with the Shure app (free!) but you'll need iOs 11 for it to work properly (otherwise the mic goes in it's generic stereo mode).
If you can use the app fully, you can choose between different mic directivities, including a mono cardiod setting and a raw Mid-Side setting, which I find most useful if I want to work on the recording later in my computer.

Here's what it can (no EQ or compression or reverb or any other processing apart from dithering for mixdown to 16 bit):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mf364y0ghnjfp ... t.wav?dl=0

and here with a bit of shimmer from the Plugin Alliance Black Box plugin:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ow47orh73ozbn ... G.wav?dl=0

The playing was done on Stenzel No1 (see here viewtopic.php?f=11&t=122476) and recorded with the Shure MV88 to iPhone 6s plus. You can airdrop it directly to the computer; so the whole process is very easy and requires no further connectors or adopters and no physical copying of the raw recording.
In principle, if you just want to document something, you can da the basic editing even in the iOs Shure app (trimming, fades, volume, even EQ and compression).

Quite a handy tool IMHO
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

My Youtube Channel is: TheMusicalEvents
My homepage is: https://www.live-arts.de

Michael McClenney
Student of the online lessons

Re: Shure MV88 iOS microphone - Great Tool

Post by Michael McClenney » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:20 pm

Thanks for the writeup and sample audio. I've heard great stuff about this mic and have been considering picking one up myself. $150 is a little steep (for me, not relative to how much good mics cost) so I'm still mulling it over, but it seems to be well worth the price and I'll most likely pull the trigger eventually.

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:24 pm

At least you don't need anything else by the way of a recorder, like Zoom etc. So same benefit and less stuff to carry around and take care off. Also the portability of the files is much easier than either copying via USB cable or pulling out the SD card and sticking it somewhere else into... maybe you can get it used or a returned item for a reduced price?

good luck
Robert
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

el_guitarrero

Post by el_guitarrero » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:38 pm

Hello Robert,

how did you place the MV88? Thanks....

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:04 am

el_guitarrero wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:38 pm
Hello Robert,

how did you place the MV88? Thanks....
Could you please narrow down what you are exactly asking about? Placing relatively to the guitar or how you place your iPhine with the mic on the table?

Arash Ahmadi

Post by Arash Ahmadi » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:20 pm

Decent quality! It's a shame it only works on Iphone though.
To send light into the darkness of men's heart, such is the duty of the artist. (Robert Schumann)

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:35 pm

Arash Ahmadi wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:20 pm
Newer iPads too :lol:
Yes, but it has to do that it relies on the audio electronic inside, and I'm quite sure the different hardware architectures of different smart phones would make it very difficult to provide a universal solution... And it starts already with the connectors that are different all over the place.

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:45 pm

Arash Ahmadi wrote:
Shame they didn’t take into account the iPhone X and newer won’t display upside down, so when using as an interview mic you’d have to deal with the display being upside down. Maybe should have redesigned it or added some cabling/dock assesories to update it. Would be fine for recording music since the mic facing you would be on the bottom of the phone though. Also given that it mounts flush with the phone, you’d have to remove your case to use it unless you have a very low profile case.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

el_guitarrero

Post by el_guitarrero » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:09 pm

Hello again,

I am asking for the distance from mic to guitar and placement, i.e. wether bridge, 12th fret or soundhole...
As for holding the iphone in its place i use a iphone tripod adapter.
Thanks👍🏻

TrickyFish

Post by TrickyFish » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:43 am

Thanks for posting this. The sound quality is fairly good for the simplicity of the setup.

I have been thinking about recording my pieces for the sake of tracking progress and this might be perfect for that application.

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:04 pm

@Robin Loops: just keep an older iPhone with lightning dedicated for recording :D

@El-Guitarrero: As I had it this time sitting on the table it was roughly the level of the guitar vertically; horizontally I use to have it slightly pointed toward the bridge; but with this kind of casual recording the only thing I'D really take care of is not having it pointing to the sound hole and not being too close to the guitar (usually I'd aim at maybe 50cm or so)...

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:23 pm

rojarosguitar wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:04 pm
@Robin Loops: just keep an older iPhone with lightning dedicated for recording :D
That’s a good idea. Even an older iPod touch would do the trick. Problem is, $250 ($150 for mic + $100 for iPod) is a lot of money to fork out for portability that will only work as long as the older device is supported by apple. That being said, my first iPod touch was supported for nearly a decade.

Still think Shure dropped the ball by not having modular options for variable methods of attaching to iPhone. As a work around you could use a lightning cable extension cord but it would need some type of docking base ( with female plug) too so it would sit on a desk (because the cable alone would stick out the bottom of the mic). A desktop mic stand with a spring clip would work to hold it.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:33 am

robin loops wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:23 pm

That’s a good idea. Even an older iPod touch would do the trick. Problem is, $250 ($150 for mic + $100 for iPod) is a lot of money to fork out for portability that will only work as long as the older device is supported by apple. That being said, my first iPod touch was supported for nearly a decade.
Well, iPod is not exactly portable any more in the sense an iPhone is. As to Apple support: Just consider it a closed system, don't update the iOs or the recording apps, and it will continue to do what it does as long as the hardware is functional. It's not advisable to update everything above a certain point anyway, because they corner you, slow down the hardware to a point where you willingly will buy a new iPhone. Have gone through that cycle and learnt my lessons.

edward_z

Post by edward_z » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:56 am

Is MV88 significantly better than the built-in mic of iPhone X?
robin loops wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:45 pm
Arash Ahmadi wrote:
Shame they didn’t take into account the iPhone X and newer won’t display upside down, so when using as an interview mic you’d have to deal with the display being upside down. Maybe should have redesigned it or added some cabling/dock assesories to update it. Would be fine for recording music since the mic facing you would be on the bottom of the phone though. Also given that it mounts flush with the phone, you’d have to remove your case to use it unless you have a very low profile case.

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:44 pm

No idea; i'm still with iphone 6s + ... their progress is lost on me :D

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”