2018-12-10 James Boyd - Holt, Norfolk (UK)

muirtan

2018-12-10 James Boyd - Holt, Norfolk (UK)

Post by muirtan » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:05 am

If any of you live in north Norfolk you might like this concert at the Auden theatre in Holt . Full details here https://audentheatre.ticketsolve.com/shows/873591259
audendraft-page-001.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

muirtan

Re: 2018-12-10 James Boyd - Holt, Norfolk (UK)

Post by muirtan » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:43 am

If any of you are thinking of going I have more information about the concert to whet you appetite.

"The concert at the Auden Theatre on December the 10th is an unusual event and I want to tell you a little more about the programme and the stories within it. The first half of the concert will be a solo recital telling the story of the music that first drew me to the instrument and of how a dusty LP by the genius but little known guitarist Mario Parodi captivated me and took me on a path of discovery. I will take you on an obsessional journey with English music old and new and come full circle back to the firelight and lamplight of my early delight with the music of Spain. Along the way I will introduce you to an old and beautiful boat that became my muse, weaving music and sailing into high adventure along the East Coast of Britain and inspiring great music from fine composers. I will also take you to a time and place when I had to face the possibility of never playing again and how that opened up paths of thought and new horizons.

The second half will be a celebration of other journeys and new collaborations of which I am proud to be a part.

Young musicians from Norfolk's centre of musical excellence NCYM will join me on stage. This Saturday academy which is part of the Guildhall School of Music and Drama takes place in Norwich. Over the years I have seen it grow from a concept to a thriving hot house of extraordinary music making. It is one of the great delights of my music career to work with these inspiring young people.

Tom Oliver, someone who I have watched grow from small but personable boy to highly focussed young man, is returning from Spain where he is studying Flamenco to bring his discoveries to the stage of the Auden. Tom is an old Greshamian and it is a joy to share the stage with him at the outset of his musical career.

Oliver Thomas, bookend to the above Thomas Oliver, is currently studying at Gresham's and taking guitar lessons with me. He has a unique sound and sensitivity and each week I see him break through to new heights. Oliver will play a couple of solos from the heart of the traditional classical guitar repertoire and join me in a lute duet.

Ben Denny Mo is a song writer, guitarist, singer, artist, woodcarver and force of nature. Working with a top manager he has a new album coming up for release in January and a string of appearances at major festivals and venues. Every now and then you find someone who has something rare and indefinable in their playing. I first heard Ben playing in the candlelight after a wonderful dinner with friends. I was captivated then and on every occasion I have had the pleasure of hearing him since. Our collaboration finds a meeting point in the world of Dowland and Rodrigo, and Ben will also perform his solo works.

Henry Chamberlain of the Coastal Exploration Company will join me with a short, beautifully produced film of his operations carrying fine cargoes under sail. Henry and I have collaborated to create an extraordinary series of wilderness concerts - perhaps the most ineffable cargo of all, vibrations in the air - featuring some of Britain's finest musicians performing in the salt marsh wilderness of the Norfolk coast."

Return to “Archives - Classical Guitar Concerts”